Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4103

• JamboWayOh 28 May 2020 19:40:39 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    gooner77 wrote:
    Dr No 7/10

Rewatching all the Bond films and haven't seen this in a few years. Holds up well for a 58 year old film. Sean Connery carries the film and Ursula Andress comes off well despite bad dubbing.
    Does anyone ***really*** need to see Die Another Day twice?
    View to a Kill needs to be seen multiple times for its sheer wrongness.
  • nickthegun 28 May 2020 19:49:22 81,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    View To A Kill is the most slept on Bond. Walken is a solid bad guy.
  • Load_2.0 28 May 2020 19:51:16 31,633 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    VTAK is awesome.

Great song, Walken chewing it up as Max Zorin and even Grace Jones isn't immune to a Rogering.

Some forgettable bits fo sho but it's not terrible.
  • JamboWayOh 28 May 2020 20:00:40 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the film where Moore looks properly old that every physical action he performs seems fucking wrong.
  • Your-Mother 28 May 2020 20:00:44 4,294 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Only bad point of VTaK is that Roger Moore looks like he belongs on Last of the Summer Wine.

But it does have blimps.
  • JamboWayOh 28 May 2020 20:03:12 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blimps make anything good. The Rocketeer having both blimps and prime Jennifer Connelly just makes it an essential film.

Also I do wonder what it would have been like if David Bowie had been Max Zorin as originally planned.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 20:04:24 28-05-2020
  • nickthegun 28 May 2020 20:07:27 81,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Roger Moore knew it was time to hang up his holster when it turned out he was older than Tanya Roberts mum.

But, yíknow, itís turned out to be a fine tradition. All of them bar Dalton hung on for far too long.
  • askew 28 May 2020 20:08:38 21,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Devil's Rock

Two Kiwi commandos conduct a raid on the Channel Islands in the prelude to D-Day and encounter Nazi occultism in a good low budget horror. It's not the most original premise, but it's tightly put together and doesn't try to do much and is better for it.

7/10
    Based on a true story?
  • TechnoHippy 28 May 2020 20:21:58 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    askew wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Devil's Rock

Two Kiwi commandos conduct a raid on the Channel Islands in the prelude to D-Day and encounter Nazi occultism in a good low budget horror. It's not the most original premise, but it's tightly put together and doesn't try to do much and is better for it.

7/10
    Based on a true story?
    Seems legit.
  • TechnoHippy 28 May 2020 20:42:45 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Orphan

Based on a true story - and I do like Momma Bates. It takes a while to get going, but does work quite well, right up until the reveal and then it nose dives a bit.

6/10
  • Zerobob 29 May 2020 09:42:30 2,427 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Duellists - 10/10

Ridley Scott's debut, and a timeless reminder that a film's plot doesn't need to be complicated and, in fact, it's probably better if it isn't. I couldn't stop watching to see the outcome, despite the natural outcome being limited.

Both leads were fantastic, particularly Harvey Keitel as the hard-boiled, crazed French soldier, hell-bent on duelling with and killing the protagonist at every opportunity.

Visually, it captured the Napoleonic era perfectly, dirt and grit, all filmed on location where necessary, all consumes present and correct.

I'm really struggling to think of anything negative. Maybe Harvey Keitel's character could have been a little more developed. Maybe a couple of characters were introduced and never revisited, but... fuck it... 10/10.
  • anephric 29 May 2020 09:55:11 4,017 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still maintain The Duellists is Sir Ridley's best film. It got a bit slated at the time as being empty eye candy with miscast American leads but it's aged like a fine Napoleonic cognac.

The closing shot is utterly beautiful, and it's got some gnarly 70s editing and zooming going on.

It's a crying shame there's no Blu-ray release in Europe, and the one US release is long out of print and goes for stupid money
  • fontgeeksogood 29 May 2020 10:20:55 9,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The fact its based on a true story just makes it all the better
  • TechnoHippy 29 May 2020 10:31:48 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Apparently it's on Prime, I've not seen it, so will take a look.

Especially if it's a true story :-)

Although iis true true? Or history Channel true?
  • askew 29 May 2020 10:33:47 21,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duellists-Keith-Carradine/dp/B07ZZKY3GT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1VE17LJ7X0X6L&dchild=1&keywords=the+duellists&qid=1590744783&s=instant-video&sprefix=the+duellists%2Cinstant-video%2C360&sr=1-1

Looking forward to it.
  • Mola_Ram 29 May 2020 10:46:04 23,707 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Young Frankenstein (Fronkensteen)

It was on TV, so I watched it. 'twas funny, not as funny as Blazing Saddles. Love Gene Wilder and Marty Feldman though.

7/10
  • You-can-call-me-kal 29 May 2020 11:52:07 19,729 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Itís a favourite of mine for lots of reasons, not least being one of the first I saw.

Most slept on for me is For Your Eyes Only. Never ever gets mentioned either as one of the best or worst, itís generally completely overlooked and itís actually a really good one. One of the earlier attempts to strip back the silliness and Moore does some actual acting in it.
  • nickthegun 29 May 2020 11:56:14 81,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its also got that great 'will he/wont he' pedo sub-plot.
  • JoeBlade 29 May 2020 12:55:53 4,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Since they were both mentioned in this thread a couple of times recently I decided to give two comedies on Netflix a watch, being:

Superbad
    A pretty chaotic flick, in retrospect, with a very clichť tagline: a couple of teenage losers want to get some poontang.
    I thought it was alright. Didn't have me in stitches at any point but I laughed out loud a couple of times. The actors were okay; they don't compare to the comedy greats of old but there weren't any that made me want to gnaw my own limbs off either like, say, Adam Sandler usually manages.
    7/10

Role Models
    This I enjoyed far less. It's incredibly predictable, that Ronnie kid in particular annoyed the hell out of me but I didn't really like any of the characters much (Antman included) and above all: I didn't find any of it actually funny. It's just not my kind of comedy I guess.
    5/10

These did make me realise why I generally don't enjoy many comedies - particularly more recent ones - all that much: it's the extreme reliance on schadenfreude. It feels... cheap as far as humour goes. But that's probably just me.
  • JamboWayOh 29 May 2020 14:29:54 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Itís a favourite of mine for lots of reasons, not least being one of the first I saw.

Most slept on for me is For Your Eyes Only. Never ever gets mentioned either as one of the best or worst, itís generally completely overlooked and itís actually a really good one. One of the earlier attempts to strip back the silliness and Moore does some actual acting in it.
    Wasn't the Bond girl trans?
  • TechnoHippy 29 May 2020 19:11:27 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A Dark Song

An atmospheric low budget horror with a woman seeking to contact her dead son. I liked the minimalism of it and how hard they had to work at the magic - a real battle of wills. It's incredibly slow to get going, but does creep into the conflict well. The ending was a little off, but the direction wasn't unexpected.

7/10
  • retro74 29 May 2020 19:11:56 3,229 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good to see another Role Models review :)

Itís still a 10 for me
  • fontgeeksogood 29 May 2020 19:54:42 9,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's based on a true story
  • RGeefe 29 May 2020 20:15:15 985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moore era Bond is something that I can only just dip in and out of now. He was a good choice for the character in the first 3 films but by Moonraker he should have fucked off. Not getting Dalton earlier was a missed opportunity.

I do love how he draws the line at knobbing the girl in For Your Eyes Only. Producers knew that wouldn't fly.
  • nickthegun 29 May 2020 20:28:36 81,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím sure there are reams of film analysis devoted to how probably the most sexually aggressive* woman in the whole series is the only one who doesnít get to bang him.

*Bond went after May Day
  • anephric 29 May 2020 21:42:07 4,017 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have nightmares about sinewy, sweaty Grace Jones pegging poor old wrinkly Moore right in his slack ringpiece.
  • challenge_hanukkah 29 May 2020 21:48:09 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I have nightmares about sinewy, sweaty Grace Jones pegging poor old wrinkly Moore right in his slack ringpiece.
    I'm both amused and horrified by this statement.
  • Dougs 29 May 2020 22:11:47 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    :D

Having just had a Google, I was surprised to see that he was only in his late 50s in VTAK. Seemed much, much older.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 07:31:24 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    :D

Having just had a Google, I was surprised to see that he was only in his late 50s in VTAK. Seemed much, much older.
    Reading this gives me hope. Dougs I think you are a few years younger than me, but both in 40's (late in my case) but the fact you type "only in his late 50's" is definitely glass half full stuff. I remember when I was in my 20's anyone in their 40's i.e. My ma and pa would seem ancient :)

On the Bond front, never seen the TD or PB ones, but isn't it understood that Dalton actually did a great job and is the quintessential "Book" Bond?
  • Dougs 30 May 2020 07:37:03 94,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes, I transition from mid to late 40s later this year. 50s are the new 40s and all that.

Dalton's Bond is much more aligned with the books, definitely. They are much grittier and it's less about the gags and gadgets.

https://www.eightieskids.com/reasons-why-timothy-dalton-probably-best-james-bond/

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.