Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4133

• JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 18:43:10 5,109 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Pulp Fiction. 10/10. I must have seen this hundreds of times, it's still as good as ever. QT's best work by far imo.
    Reading that I realise I'd be hard pressed to name my favourite QT film. Other than the oddball Grindhouse/Death Proof (which I though were okay, nothing more, nothing less) I love all of his work. That includes underrated ones like Jackie Brown.
    Depends on my mood I guess.

He does seem like a real weirdo on a personal level though. Art supersedes the artist I suppose.
  • RGeefe 4 Jul 2020 18:47:39 1,098 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I could do with Pulp Fiction being a good 40 mins shorter. Cut out the entire Mia Wallis bit. Absolutely cannot stand it. Though normally I just skip straight to the Gold Watch and go from there.

He just needs to stop making films that are a billion hours long. Reservoir Dogs is still my favourite. Then probably Inglorious and Jackie Brown.

Django is good but needs to lose the last half hour. Should end with the gunfight after Schultz starts shooting.

I actually quite like Death Proof for the very reason it's short. Hateful Eight was ok but needed to be a mini series. Did not deserve 3 hours.
  • anephric 4 Jul 2020 19:04:49 4,207 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Obvious person does obvious opinion, but I still reckon Jackie Brown because it's a good drama (you can't go wrong with Elmore Leonard) without being too cartoonish, even with its blaxploitation nods and has actual (shock) relatable characters!
  • JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 19:27:32 5,109 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @anephric I thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had relatable characters for the most part. Well, except towards the ending but that was all clearly meant to be OTT.

I also wouldn't call Reservoir Dogs's characters cartoonish. Certainly, hmm, peg holed (which was the point) but still believable.
  • sport 4 Jul 2020 19:35:01 16,122 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    @anephric I thought Once Upon a Time in Hollywood had relatable characters for the most part. Well, except towards the ending but that was all clearly meant to be OTT.
    That ending was superb. I lost it when he walked out with that flame thrower. :-D
  • JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 19:59:18 5,109 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @sport It almost had me in tears (of laughter), seriously. For me Brad Pitt's character and particularly his dog were just out there. The bit you refer to was the icing on the cake :)
  • JamboWayOh 4 Jul 2020 21:43:58 20,059 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Total Recall (Schwarzenegger version)

One of Arnold's better films around the peak of his box office power and a great fit for the blank slate that is Quaid. It doesn't have the satire of a typical Verhoeven film but it retains his penchant for ultra violence which borders on the comical. Regardless I've always enjoyed this film and gets extra points for the 3 tits and the seedy jazz music in the brothel bar. Oh and and Sharon Stone in workout gear.
  • nickthegun 4 Jul 2020 21:59:52 82,376 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I know we did this very recently but I reckon there's an argument to be made that it's his best movie. It's got the budget, a good script, a good director, he's at the peak of his powers and it's got a woman with three tits in it.

It's not my absolute favourite, but it could well be his best.
  • JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 22:02:04 5,109 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @nickthegun Are you talking about QT or Schwarzenegger? Or perhaps Jambo?
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 22:03:46 3,179 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No way. 1) Predator. 2) T2. 3) T1 >>>>> other movies he did. Although I do love lots of his other movies including total recall.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Jul 2020 22:06:45 20,059 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is a very different kind of movie for an action film that actually has some intelligence behind it and you could potentially say the ending is up for debate. I'm not sure if it's his best film but it's really high up there.

Tbh, over time my favourite film has actually changed to True Lies.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 22:07:45 04-07-2020
  • Not-a-reviewer 4 Jul 2020 22:08:47 6,321 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frozen 2. 7/10, none of the songs are quite as good as the first one and the story isnít as good.

My 4 year old is terrified of the first one and this one wonít go any better.
  • Not-a-reviewer 4 Jul 2020 22:11:23 6,321 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I know we did this very recently but I reckon there's an argument to be made that it's his best movie. It's got the budget, a good script, a good director, he's at the peak of his powers and it's got a woman with three tits in it.

Itís his best where he has to act. I canít get through the remake, itís one of those that feels they changed bits for the sake of it and without understanding anything about why it was popular.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Jul 2020 22:12:51 10,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I would like to see the middle segment of a Venn diagram where one side is "prefers Aliens to Alien" and the other side is "prefers T2 to Terminator", because anyone in the intersection should be at least neutered, if not put down altogether
  • JamboWayOh 4 Jul 2020 22:16:43 20,059 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Itís his best where he has to act. I canít get through the remake, itís one of those that feels they changed bits for the sake of it and without understanding anything about why it was popular.
    It's Len Wiseman, he's a terrible director and it's a fucking travesty and injustice that he was once married to Kate Beckinsale.
  • JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 22:19:09 5,109 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, well, True Lies features a super hot Jamie Lee Curtis so there's one completely irrelevant Schwarzenegger film tidbit!
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 22:29:07 3,179 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Turns out T1 is on Netflix so I'm watching that now.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Jul 2020 22:40:43 10,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Yeah, well, True Lies features a super hot Jamie Lee Curtis so there's one completely irrelevant Schwarzenegger film tidbit!
    I never understood why there was such a big furore about her maybe having both a kofte and a donner - that would have solved a lot of problems I had in life choosing a side and sticking to it
  • Dougs 4 Jul 2020 22:46:00 94,683 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    Frozen 2. 7/10, none of the songs are quite as good as the first one and the story isnít as good.

My 4 year old is terrified of the first one and this one wonít go any better.
    I think 2 is better. The story is much stronger imo. I agree the songs perhaps aren't as good but I probably haven't heard them as much. My 7 year old has probably only seen it a dozen times....
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 22:47:59 3,179 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm sure this is blasphemy but damn T1 has dated badly. I watched alien recently and that was still incredible 10/10 but this, hmmm. Don't get me wrong I loved this back in the day but apart from nostalgia this is plainly old now.
  • anephric 4 Jul 2020 22:48:10 4,207 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like the comedy Mohammedans in True Lies. That's aged well.

Edited by anephric at 22:48:23 04-07-2020
  • JamboWayOh 4 Jul 2020 22:53:01 20,059 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I like the comedy Mohammedans in True Lies. That's aged well.
    They call him 'The Sand Spider'.
  • JoeBlade 4 Jul 2020 22:53:17 5,109 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    I'm sure this is blasphemy but damn T1 has dated badly.
    Revan, I know it'll be a kick in the teeth but we need to be frank here: it's not the film, it's you.
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 22:55:23 3,179 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha even the sound effects. The pistol the terminator is using to kill the Sarah Connor's sounds like god knows what. I've seen alien, scarface, predator and a few other 80s classics this past couple of weeks and this is by far the most dated Vs how I remember it. The others still hold up.

Edited by Bichii at 22:55:45 04-07-2020
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Jul 2020 22:56:32 10,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is the worst thing you've ever done
  • Bichii 4 Jul 2020 22:58:34 3,179 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha add blade runner, another 80s film I watched lately that is still amaze balls.
  • drhickman1983 4 Jul 2020 23:00:17 6,869 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Da 5 Bloods

At its core there's a fairly typical tale about aggrieved ex-soldiers out to retrieve a fortune in gold. The sort of thing seen in Three Kings or, to use a Netflix film, Triple Frontier.

The core story is not that unique and you can see some of the big story breasts coming a mile off. You wouldn't be surprised when the gold leads to inter-group tension, backstabbing, betrayals.

But there's plenty laid on top of the core narrative that makes it unique. Lee adds a political edge. There's a few riffs on Vietnam war movies There's stock footage and shots make to look like stock footage, flashbacks in 4:3 ratio. At the same time the film embraces the artifice - flashbacks dont bother with de-aging techniques, just using the actors as they are now. The actors themselves are well cast, Delroy Lindo has a star turn as the most haunted of the group.

There's lots to enjoy but as whole it just lacked some cohesion. The tonal and stylistic shifts made it feel a bit disjointed, and it could probably have been half an hour shorter.

7 or 8 out of 10
  • wuntyate 4 Jul 2020 23:00:33 14,963 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    I'm sure this is blasphemy but damn T1 has dated badly. I watched alien recently and that was still incredible 10/10 but this, hmmm. Don't get me wrong I loved this back in the day but apart from nostalgia this is plainly old now.
    Ha ha ha ha ha.

No.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.