Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4135

• JoeBlade 5 Jul 2020 01:04:40 5,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kyle Reese was in The Mandalorian apparently? Only one episode it seems.

But Revan, I'm still waiting for that 10 out of 10 score for T1, eh? Kidding, love and peace and all.

Anyhow, I randomly started watching Acts of Violence on Netflix. It's not good really.

I also watched that one decent Vin Diesel flick - Pitch Black - and it's... decent. I think I liked him better as Groot though. That's saying something.
  • Your-Mother 5 Jul 2020 01:05:29 4,472 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Combination of not wanting the fame (IIRC heís never had a publicist and didnít want to do things like red carpet and interviews and things) and being overlooked for films he was interested in (Burtonís Batman, Titanic, Avatar). The latter probably because of the former.

Pretty sure thereís a story about him going through major depression shortly after The Abyss as well.
  • Load_2.0 5 Jul 2020 08:15:15 31,885 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Kyle Reece deserved a better career. Did he actually do anything else of note other that Terminator and Alien?
    He had a pretty solid 90s career. Hicks, Abyss, T1, Johnny Ringo and Navy Seal guy in The Rock.

I think he suffered from being typecast as handsome action dude. So as he got older ended up in low budget stuff.
  • anephric 5 Jul 2020 08:27:52 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He was also Navy Seal Guy in Navy Seals.
  • JoeBlade 5 Jul 2020 09:17:29 5,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    He was also Navy Seal Guy in Navy Seals.
    That's a hell of a resume.
  • bone-on 5 Jul 2020 09:18:02 543 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think Michael Biehn had a period of alcoholism and domestic abuse and then got his shit back together again.

He also went nuts on David Fincher and fox for using his picture in Alien 3 without asking.

I think heís a great actor Terminator is his best performance he looks haunted and damaged. The interview scene in T-1 is brilliantly acted so much anger and frustration.

Last film I watched him in was that Rodriguez grind house film he did which accompanied Death Proof

Edited by bone-on at 09:21:34 05-07-2020
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Jul 2020 10:05:10 20,043 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thereís a whole bunch of 80s not quite leading men that were neither charismatic nor handsome enough to be relevant once muscles and a tan werenít enough to get you a supporting role.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 5 Jul 2020 10:14:19 2,928 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dude was good in Tombstone as well
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Jul 2020 11:23:37 33,021 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Was oscar worthy in Far Cry Blood Dragon too.
  • Rum_Monkey 5 Jul 2020 11:40:24 965 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Love Tombstone, peak Val Kilmer in that before he turned into a melting marshmallow face.
  • anephric 5 Jul 2020 11:52:33 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Thereís a whole bunch of 80s not quite leading men that were neither charismatic nor handsome enough to be relevant once muscles and a tan werenít enough to get you a supporting role.
    It's like you're describing Michael Pare.
  • frightlever 5 Jul 2020 12:07:40 1,492 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Da 5 Bloods

At its core there's a fairly typical tale about aggrieved ex-soldiers out to retrieve a fortune in gold. The sort of thing seen in Three Kings or, to use a Netflix film, Triple Frontier.

The core story is not that unique and you can see some of the big story breasts coming a mile off. You wouldn't be surprised when the gold leads to inter-group tension, backstabbing, betrayals.

But there's plenty laid on top of the core narrative that makes it unique. Lee adds a political edge. There's a few riffs on Vietnam war movies There's stock footage and shots make to look like stock footage, flashbacks in 4:3 ratio. At the same time the film embraces the artifice - flashbacks dont bother with de-aging techniques, just using the actors as they are now. The actors themselves are well cast, Delroy Lindo has a star turn as the most haunted of the group.

There's lots to enjoy but as whole it just lacked some cohesion. The tonal and stylistic shifts made it feel a bit disjointed, and it could probably have been half an hour shorter.

7 or 8 out of 10
    Big story breasts? Knew I should have worn my glasses.

The story is by the numbers and you've got to forgive a bunch of plot holes, but it's still pretty good. I'd be scoring closer to 7 than 8.

I'm no Spike Lee expert, but half the writers credited on Da 5 Bloods are videogame writers, and one is mostly a documentary writer. And Spike Lee, of course, whose biggest action hit would be Inside Man (great movie) which he didn't write.

Probably wouldn't have hurt if he'd gotten more help on the action scenes. They're pretty drab.

Anyway, just watched that Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga last night while slightly buzzed on white wine.

50/100 or 65/100 if you FF past anything with Will Ferrell doing a "bit" and just watch it for the set pieces. There is one big laugh in the whole movie.
  • frightlever 5 Jul 2020 12:10:56 1,492 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Speaking of which, Dead Heat is on Amazon Prime.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B07YQ5ZNG6/

Stupid, fun movie.

Edited by frightlever at 12:11:10 05-07-2020
  • cov 5 Jul 2020 12:16:38 2,269 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mmm there are a lot of actors like that but wouldn't put bien in that category, he had some acting chops and serious charisma, lifted a film rather than just serviced it
  • drhickman1983 5 Jul 2020 12:43:34 6,857 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    frightlever wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Da 5 Bloods

At its core there's a fairly typical tale about aggrieved ex-soldiers out to retrieve a fortune in gold. The sort of thing seen in Three Kings or, to use a Netflix film, Triple Frontier.

The core story is not that unique and you can see some of the big story breasts coming a mile off. You wouldn't be surprised when the gold leads to inter-group tension, backstabbing, betrayals.

But there's plenty laid on top of the core narrative that makes it unique. Lee adds a political edge. There's a few riffs on Vietnam war movies There's stock footage and shots make to look like stock footage, flashbacks in 4:3 ratio. At the same time the film embraces the artifice - flashbacks dont bother with de-aging techniques, just using the actors as they are now. The actors themselves are well cast, Delroy Lindo has a star turn as the most haunted of the group.

There's lots to enjoy but as whole it just lacked some cohesion. The tonal and stylistic shifts made it feel a bit disjointed, and it could probably have been half an hour shorter.

7 or 8 out of 10
    Big story breasts? Knew I should have worn my glasses.

The story is by the numbers and you've got to forgive a bunch of plot holes, but it's still pretty good. I'd be scoring closer to 7 than 8.

Ha, didnt notice that typo. I'm leaving it in.
  • TechnoHippy 5 Jul 2020 18:47:39 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Witch

It takes a while to get going, but has some great atmosphere and I liked how they kept it simple. Good performances all round, although a tad too much shrieking at times.

7/10
  • Lukus 5 Jul 2020 22:21:28 23,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Doctor No

It's been years, maybe even decades since I've seen this. I was surprised by how little action there is in it, just a minor car chase and a bit of a melee at the end. No gadgets either.
    Reassuringly though, Bond was always a bit of a sex pest, basically badgering women into bed. There's one amusingly creepy bit where he holds onto a piece of clothing as his victim is walking away from him then gives it a sniff when she's not looking. It's genuinely sinister. It's also amusing seeing Bond with his top off and realising that people didn't really work out in the sixties.

Anyway, the film is pretty boring. Doctor No? Got to go, more like!

005 out of 10
  • anephric 5 Jul 2020 22:53:03 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://ibb.co/L689L2p
  • Lukus 5 Jul 2020 22:55:48 23,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmmm... That's weird. He definitely doesn't look like he works out in the film. But now you've pointed it out, I do remember hearing about Sean's body building escapades.
  • anephric 6 Jul 2020 00:01:25 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He'd let himself go a bit by the time he did Bond, but it was his physicality that got him the job in the first place.

It is true that the 60s version of male onscreen physique, unless you were Charles Bronson, was sucking your gut in.
  • sirtacos 6 Jul 2020 00:11:26 8,244 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Inside Llewyn Davis

Probably my favourite Coen film. Soulful, funny, understated, frustrating and sad.

Still upset about the cat he abandons, though. I know it's partly symbolic, etc., but it's fucked and I'm still sore about it

10/10

Edited by sirtacos at 00:15:46 06-07-2020
  • neilka 6 Jul 2020 00:17:16 23,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Doctor No? More like Doctor No, I Don't Want To Watch This Film, Why Would You Prescribe a James Bond Film For Hypoglycemia Anyway?
  • RGeefe 6 Jul 2020 09:14:49 1,082 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dr No is fairly bland but it does the job. Christ, it's nearly 60 years old.

Russia is where it all kicks off and then you've got a fine run of films until the end of Connery's run. OHMSS is good in every facet other than Lazenby, who I think gets away with it by being so different to Connery that it makes him seem good.

I even like Diamonds Are Forever. I'm a heathen.
  • gamingdave 7 Jul 2020 16:24:59 5,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Delta Force - 1986 - 40/100
    Lee Marvin and Chuck Norris head to Beirut to rescue hostages from a plane hijacking. I was in the mood for something forgettable and throwaway (massive hangover) and it certainly ticked those boxes. Sure I must have seen it before, but there are very few memorable moments. The acting is passable though relatively sporadic and completely laughable, but the cinematography is nothing to write home about, the score is horrendous, and even the action isn't even very strong.

Bridge of Spies - 2015 - 85/100
    Spielberg, Hanks, Rylance, cold war thriller - yes please. Missed this when it came out and only just got round to it, and it didn't disappoint. The performances are strong all round but it's Rylance that steals the show - utterly captivating. There's a tension throughout and the pacing is excellent right up to the end.

K-19: The Widowmaker - 2002 - 65/100
    Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford take to the waves in Russia's first nuclear submarine in Kathryn Bigelows interpretation of real life events from the 60's. It looks great in parts and the sound design is excellent, but it was just lacking something sepcial. I do love a great submarine film, unfortunately this wasn't one.

Jurassic Park - 1993 - 90/100
    First time watching with the kids. Slightly slower than I remembered but had them captivated throughout. The boy (8) was scared at times, watching between his fingers and jumping at all the right moments, but his sister (nearly 10) was just howling at the T-Rex. Some very entertaining performances, still looks great for the most parts and that score, wow. Pure escapism cinema on a grand scale.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 2005 - 91/100
    Hadn't seen this since it came out, and had forgotten how good it was. Sublime performances from Robert Downey Jnr and Val Kilmer, and a great supporting cast. A great murder mystery with style and humour.

Out of Sight - 92/100
    My second favourite Steven Soderbergh film (after The Limey, the film he made next). The chemistry between Lopez and Clooney is convincing and ties the film together, but the supporting cast are all excellent too. Special bonus point for the brief but excellent appearance of Michael Keaton. A crime caper with some nice little surprises and a dry sense of humour. More bonus points for David Holmes' brilliant score.

The Thing - 1982 - 85/100
    John Carpenter on form and the only decent film he made but didn't score himself, the duties of which were handed to Ennio Morricone with great results. Tense, no filler sci-fi horror.
  • Rum_Monkey 7 Jul 2020 16:47:19 965 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The Thing seems to be missing atleast 10 points.
  • gamingdave 7 Jul 2020 16:51:10 5,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I flitted with the score, and on some days would rank it higher, but that's what I picked from last nights watch of it. Maybe I have just seen it too many times now so there are bits that just seem too familiar and some of the impact/surprise is gone.

The special effects still look great, the score is great, the acting generally great. It's just not as good as The Fog for repeat watching.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Jul 2020 17:09:09 19,988 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    The Thing seems to be missing atleast 10 points.
    I know right, absolute horseshit.
  • retro74 7 Jul 2020 19:01:00 3,258 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Thing is literally a stone cold classic

As much as I enjoyed Jurassic Park on the cinema at launch it's not held up that well over time for me

Both score exactly 8.1 on IMDB though so what the heck do I know?
  • gamingdave 7 Jul 2020 19:19:10 5,002 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah I did find JP a bit slow (which I really don't remember it being), and maybe we are just used to that level of spectacle now. I probably up-rated it due to the kids reactions too to be fair.

The Thing is a classic, and on another day I might have rated it higher, but for some reason I just wasn't quite as taken by it last night as I have been in the past.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.