Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4168

Next Last
  • Mola_Ram 11 Aug 2020 10:43:07 24,349 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the ending to Swiss Army Man was brilliant. His dad just smiling and nodding to him, silently approving his son to go ride the fart rocket corpse again, had me giggling for ages.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2020 10:43:37 26,303 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just watched the trailer for Split Second, I definitely have a hazy memory of watching it. Don't remember it looking that shitty though.
  • TechnoHippy 11 Aug 2020 11:21:05 17,700 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I have a soft spot for Split Second - it's definitely B movie, but I like Rutger Hauer and the young cop if un. I quite liked the flooded London setting as well.

Need bigger fucking guns!
  • theone1 11 Aug 2020 23:51:49 111 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lucky (Harry Dean Stanton)

Finally got round to watching this, so good 8/10
  • dominalien 12 Aug 2020 06:49:10 9,801 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cry-Baby on Netflix

Johnny Depp is some kind of a bad boy or something.

Itís a little bit awesome, a complete mess otherwise and a total waste of time. Itís really impossible to recommend anyone waste their life watching this.

The music isnít bad. And the girl is pretty.

3/10
  • RGeefe 12 Aug 2020 09:56:01 1,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dodgeball

This popped up on E4 or something as I was scrolling through. Towards the end - last sort of 45 minutes or so. I liked it a fair bit when it came out and I was about 15/16, so wondered how it would hold up.

It did not.

I forgot how bad a lot of those comedies from the time were. It's funny, I never liked Anchorman because I thought it was too stupid and too much Will Ferrel shouting, yet I thought Dodgeball was good. Nope. It's shit and only works if you're a teenager.

Dodge/10

The Mask

A mate said they rewatched it on Netflix the other day and I, again, loved it as a child, so thought I'd put it on to wash out the taste of Dodgeball.

It's easy to forget just how one-note Jim Carrey's career was before Truman Show. Gurn, gurn, dance, make noises. I still maintain Dumb and Dumber is a truly funny film but it's mostly the dialogue that does it. The Mask has just aged...very weirdly. The CGI holds up well but it's definitely influenced by Batman - the sets, for sure - and just feels a bit...daft. I wouldn't say I laughed as such, more a smirk every now and then. Oh look, Green Jim Carrey did a funny thing with some CGI.

Turned it off after 30 minutes.

I've always wondered what his career would have been like if he'd stuck to the more serious stuff. His output isn't all that much, considering he's been around for 30+ years. It's crazy to think he went from being a bit-player in TV shows to a multi-millionaire in one year. For every Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine there's a Yes Man.

Actually, now I think of it - he's probably not even a star anymore. Just got by on having a REALLY good mid-90s.

10/10 - 1994 currency
    3/10

Edited by RGeefe at 09:56:45 12-08-2020
  • Derblington 12 Aug 2020 09:59:19 33,834 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What? HE WAS IN SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!
  • Dr-Strangelove 12 Aug 2020 10:34:54 2,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is a good read for his film career

Guardian article - his 20 best films

It reads like a longer version of what you said, the comments are also quite good in that article.
  • ChiefGB 12 Aug 2020 10:50:58 12,715 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always thought ďthe maskĒ was a pretty naff film really. Yes Carey was electric and early Diaz is always worth a watch but the film was just typical paper thin trash from the 90ís. The cgi was fab though at the time so I guess 2 out of 3 was enough back then, heck 1 really in those days. Although in fairness Iíve not watched it properly in years.

I also had a thought just yesterday about how many of these comedies from late 90ís early 00ís were awful really, just so much wasted potential. For some reason ďmystery menĒ popped into my memory in so much as it looked like such a great idea but it just wasnít funny really. Then I remembered many comedy films just arenít all that funny. I Struggle to remember a top comedy film Iíve seen in years really. Iíd have to go back to Austin powers and the South Park movie to remember anything I guffawed at, Spose American pie films were ok (never seen the last one though).

Maybe Iím just old and cynical now (almost certainly)
  • nickthegun 12 Aug 2020 10:58:18 82,878 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís weird how badly 90s comedy has aged. I mean, most comedies are of their time and a few things here and there donít fly anymore but it seems especially true of that decade.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Aug 2020 11:04:48 24,349 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now now, the 90s included Hot Shots! part deux. It can't be all bad.
  • beastmaster 12 Aug 2020 11:05:40 21,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There are plenty of great 90s comedies and some all out classics, same as any other decade.

As per above post: Groundhog Day, The Big Lebowski, Being John Malkovich etc.

Edited by beastmaster at 11:07:40 12-08-2020
  • Rum_Monkey 12 Aug 2020 11:10:48 1,231 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Comedy is best in TV format anyway.
  • RGeefe 12 Aug 2020 11:17:16 1,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    90s were a weird period for comedy, I think. Post-Aids crisis there was a massive rethink about sex comedies that I don't think really recovered until American Pie (which has also aged horrifically).

Other than Jim Carrey, you only really had Adam Sandler as legit stars of the genre. Ferrel and Stiller didn't really hit big til the 2000s.

It was definitely a decade of shifting values that was trying to figure out where it was, in terms of comedy. The 2000s had a lot more definition.
  • Steve-Perry 12 Aug 2020 11:23:09 1,741 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I don't think it's much better these days. Everything seems to be from the SNL improv goons and you end up with 99 Will Ferrell movies or that dreadfully unfunny new Ghostbusters.

I don't really care much for the American sense of humour generally anyway. I think comedy is something that always chimes better when it comes from your own culture.

Like Mrs Browns Boys Da Movie.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 11:23:18 12-08-2020
  • Not-a-reviewer 12 Aug 2020 11:24:54 6,447 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bill Murray, Mike Myers, Robin Williams, Carey and Sanders were the main ones.

There were a lot by 80s comedy stars but they only really made 2 or 3 of any note (Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Arnie).
  • Tomo 12 Aug 2020 11:32:24 18,060 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Nightingale - 5/10

Watched this after seeing it pop up in here and I feel quite conflicted about it, but mainly found it pretty underwhelming. Maybe I'm getting soft, but I was surprised at how crass I found it. I took it as a pretty straightforward rape-revenge horror tale dressed in colonial clothing. The history and context of the era is an important matter to depict, but I'm not sure a rape-revenge movie is the best device for telling it. The tone felt more like Last House on the Left rather than 12 Years A Slave.

I found the acting pretty patchy and some of the decisions made by the characters seemed particularly bizarre... Why didn't she hide behind the rock and pop out to shoot the captain? Why did she eventually dither so much in her intention to kill him? There were other questionable bits but I can't quite recall them atm.
  • nickthegun 12 Aug 2020 11:46:17 82,878 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    I don't think it's much better these days. Everything seems to be from the SNL improv goons and you end up with 99 Will Ferrell movies or that dreadfully unfunny new Ghostbusters.
    Thats, really, the 2000s run of Judd Apatow style comedies and in the 2010s the Bridesmaids train before it ran out of steam. There hasnt really been a run or a fad recently, I dont think.

I did read Seth Rogen saying something yesterday that its really tough to get mid-tier comedies made because Marvel are pumping out stuff like GoTG, Thor and Ant-Man which are, effectively, $200m dollar comedies with fight scenes.
  • ChiefGB 12 Aug 2020 12:02:27 12,715 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watched Groundhog Day for just the second time during lockdown. It didnít do much for me really. Kind of zoned out a bit after a while.
  • dominalien 12 Aug 2020 12:04:30 9,801 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Isnít that actually a tragedy?

I donít rate American humour at all. They just have no subtlety. The French are where itís at.
  • beastmaster 12 Aug 2020 12:06:42 21,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I watched Groundhog Day for just the second time during lockdown. It didnít do much for me really. Kind of zoned out a bit after a while.
    I remember there was a double bill showing of this near us pre lockdown. Showed the film twice back-to-back. Thought it was a rather funny idea. Didn't go.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Aug 2020 12:35:32 20,679 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Ohhh Chief, c'mon man!
  • XsjadoBlaydette 12 Aug 2020 12:42:19 57 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I find most comedies really hard to watch due to being chronically depressed most the time. Dark comedies kind of break through the barrier sometimes, but they're not as easy to balance as most seem to think. People wrongly assume cruelly punching down is what they need to do be one, but that's just being a sociopathic asshole, not a comedian. The best still have heart but do not shy away from the horrors, instead try to wrap them in some form of observationist philosophical humour that becomes more a coping mechanism for it all.
  • RGeefe 12 Aug 2020 13:23:14 1,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like the wee wee jokes
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 12 Aug 2020 13:53:44 2,954 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Get out!
  • robthehermit 12 Aug 2020 14:34:47 7,944 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Isnít that actually a tragedy?

That Bill Murray ended up with Andie McDowell? Absolutely.
  • XsjadoBlaydette 12 Aug 2020 15:08:00 57 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Forgot to add film, 'I Dont Feel at Home in This World Anymore'

Was alright, biggest disappointment was thinking it was a Netflix TV series and not a one-off film. Not so good at putting numbers on things because that requires confidence in one's ability to not keep changing mind in the next hour or day or whatever. Quirky humour, the two leads are great. Would like more please. Please?

Edited by XsjadoBlaydette at 15:08:26 12-08-2020
  • Dougs 12 Aug 2020 15:18:54 95,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Get out!
    Not sure Get Out was a comedy tbf. :)

Comedy is the hardest genre to do imo, as humour is so subjective. When a decent one comes along (like Bridesmaids) everyone jumps aboard the hype train, making them out to be better than they really are. Don't envy comedy filmmakers at all.
  • souvlaki 12 Aug 2020 15:19:18 1,061 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    XsjadoBlaydette wrote:

Was alright, biggest disappointment was thinking it was a Netflix TV series and not a one-off film. Not so good at putting numbers on things because that requires confidence in one's ability to not keep changing mind in the next hour or day or whatever. Quirky humour, the two leads are great. Would like more please. Please?
    Are you getting mixed up with the 'The End of the F***ing World'? That is a series and worth watching.

Mind you, I liked 'I Dont Feel at Home in This World Anymore' too.
  • XsjadoBlaydette 12 Aug 2020 15:35:27 57 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    XsjadoBlaydette wrote:

Are you getting mixed up with the 'The End of the F***ing World'? That is a series and worth watching.

Mind you, I liked 'I Dont Feel at Home in This World Anymore' too.
    Oh, agreed those two titles are begging to be confused, but I knew it wasn't that series due to accidentally watching a later episode on the normal TV one time and having no clue what was going on apart from recognising the kid from a good Black Mirror episode and wondering why there were only English people hanging about rural America. Did look good either way, so it's definitely on the list. Could be I saw the former title alongside "Netflix exclusive" and my wee little bumble brain decided to add "TV series" in there somewhere.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.