Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4221

• JamboWayOh 15 Oct 2020 20:44:27 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    Is the series worth a watch?
    Itís legit the best thing that was on last year.
    This is truth.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Oct 2020 22:09:04 14,876 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Watchmen director cut..

By far Zacks best comic book movie. Maybe his best film without googling all his movies.

I think Dawn of the Dead is his only good film.

I hated Watchmen.
  • dfunked09 15 Oct 2020 22:24:25 517 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I'm one of those weird cunts that actually enjoyed Sucker Punch, and even watched it a second time...

Watchmen was great, and the extended cut more so.
    Man of Steel was decent, then pretty much a rapid decline into shitness with the rest of the DCU films.

300 was pretty entertaining at the very least, and another one that I've watched a couple of times.

Edited by dfunked09 at 22:28:31 15-10-2020
  • JamboWayOh 15 Oct 2020 22:28:21 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    I'm one of those weird cunts that actually enjoyed Sucker Punch, and even watched it a second time...

Watchmen was great, and the extended cut more so.
    Man of Steel was decent, then pretty much a rapid decline into shitness with the rest of the DCU films.
    Sucker Punch is as if someone beamed a camera inside a 13 year old boy's brain, but the boy thought high art was tits.
  • dfunked09 15 Oct 2020 22:29:04 517 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @JamboWayOh
    Sorry... What's your point? ;)
  • JamboWayOh 15 Oct 2020 22:43:06 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /puts user dfunked09 on THE LIST
  • evild_edd 15 Oct 2020 23:00:13 4,269 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tenet

It's fine. Standard Nolan in that he crafts everything beautifully whilst simultaneously managing to sap all drama and consequence out of his action scenes.

I was going to give it a 6, but the end credit music was so jarringly bad - like something that would be played in a barbers - I'll drop it to a...

5/10
  • fontgeeksogood 15 Oct 2020 23:07:06 10,892 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Well, in the Watchmen film it's not just NY that's decimated, Ozy teleports devices all over the world, causing destruction everywhere, thus achieving the same effect and making the world unite against a single external threat, ie Doc Manhattan. The Soviets don't act out of pity in the graphic novel, it's out of self-preservation as a species.

Not sure how that's so different, except no squiddie.
    Thank you - this is spot on. There's valid criticisms for the film (which I liked overall, think he did a good job) but the ending isn't one of them IMO
  • RawShark 15 Oct 2020 23:17:26 1,314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post Watchmen series Iíve been wondering how it would have fared as a six-part series with Terry Gilliam at the helm. I think that would have been the way to do it.

I didnít hate Zackís Watchmen, but feel it would have been better without him. Even the HBO series took the mick out of his style. And the whole having a team actually called The Watchmen in it - total misinterpretation of the title.

I still feel the best Watchmen adaptation was the Saturday Morning Watchmen short Harry Partridge did. Because it was done by someone who loved and understood the original story.

Edited by RawShark at 23:17:54 15-10-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Oct 2020 00:24:10 14,876 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I feel where Alan Moore wrote it partly as a grimdark satire on where superheroes could end up Snyder saw it as grimdark superheroes doing cool grimdark shit. Like heís one of those guys who thinks Rorschach is badass, not the monster he so clearly is.

I might be wrong about that but the rest of Snyderís output certainly doesnít make me feel like he took it at anything other than face value.

Plus I think it was a mess in general regardless of intent.
  • SuperSoupy 16 Oct 2020 09:27:54 239 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only reason Snyder's Watchmen is remotely watchable is because it follows the comic book panels as closely as it can. Even then, the best way to adapt a comic book to film isn't necessarily to just copy the page panel for panel (and even then Sin City did it better). They're two different mediums, and as such while copying the comic, the film misses the point of it.

It just feels devoid of character, and Snyder needs to be dropped by Hollywood like Michael Bay should have.

Last years' series however, was phenomenal.
  • kentmonkey 16 Oct 2020 09:34:27 23,845 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Is Watchmen (series) on any Disney/Netflix/Amazon service? If so I'll start it this weekend
  • Bichii 16 Oct 2020 09:35:54 3,596 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think it is hbo/sky Atlantic. I googled last night. I need to use my parents log in then as the only TV I have is Netflix, don't even have a TV licence as I just don't use it.
  • Saul_Iscariot 16 Oct 2020 09:40:13 3,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kentmonkey I think it is only on Sky or Now TV.
  • RGeefe 16 Oct 2020 13:26:00 1,371 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Funnily enough, I've just started series 2 of The Boys. Already a better Watchmen than Watchmen.

But I just can't stand Zak Snyder. I actually can't decide who's worse between him and Michael Bay.
  • dominalien 16 Oct 2020 13:31:41 9,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They don't necessarily need to be worse one than the other. They can be equally bad. Still, they keep getting money and making films, so obviously someone thinks it all makes sense. Not all films must be high class entertainment.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Oct 2020 13:38:41 24,589 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The problem with Bay isn't that he makes dumb lowbrow movies. It's that he makes terrible dumb lowbrow movies that are too long, completely incoherent in their action scenes, and are often more than a little bit rapey.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2020 13:56:58 20,990 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I actually donít think Snyder gets enough credit, specifically for what he does well. Yes he is not a fantastic filmmaker (although I also think heís far from a terrible one) but his eye for a shot is extraordinary. Heíd be a wonderful art director. Comparisons with the likes of Bay are incredibly unfair. Bay is absolutely talentless. Snyder is actually very talented, but itís too singular a talent to make great films.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Oct 2020 13:57:29 17,842 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Alien

I watched Aliens before I first saw Alien, and have always slightly preferred the sequel. There's not much in it though, Alien remains a classic sci-fi horror. The technology has a dated feel, typical of the era, but I kinda like the aesthetic. The story is great, the performances are mostly spot on and there's some lovely creature and set design.

10/10
  • drhickman1983 16 Oct 2020 13:59:14 7,120 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the Watchmen film was hit and miss. I thought the ending made sense.

The squid would just seem a bit far fetched in the film, or would require a load of extra bloat to set it up.

Dr. Manhattan was pretty great too. I mean, they copied the source exactly but I'm surprised they didn't fuck up his existential apathy.

The intro was great too.

At the same time, whilst Rorschach was fairly well realised you got the impression that the film was idolising him, which missed the point somewhat. And Silk Spectre's fetish outfit was a bit of a teenage boys wet dream (not complaining too much tbh, just felt very, well, adolescent).

I'm inclined to enjoy Snyder a lot more than Bay. Though they share some similarities the action is Snyder's films tends to be more readable. I prefer the gratuitous slow motion of 300 to the shakeycam of Transformers.

And ultimately Bay made Transformers 2 which, considering its budget, is the worse film ever made. Very few films that cost that much end up being so loathsomely bad.

In a really of odd way though they are both auteurs. Just because the film's are frequently crap doesn't mean they aren't recognisable as their work.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 14:00:49 16-10-2020
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Oct 2020 14:02:07 10,892 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Big blue dick energy
  • beastmaster 16 Oct 2020 14:04:42 21,395 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dawn of the Dead and 300 > Bad Boys and The Rock.

Maybe.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2020 14:08:23 20,990 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíve actually seen Snyder compared with Terrence Malick which seems absurd, but I genuinely think itís a better one than Bay. Obviously vastly different genres, but they have similar strengths and weaknesses.
  • Rhaegyr 16 Oct 2020 14:30:48 5,236 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really? I honestly don't see what Snyder brings to the table except excessive use of filters, slow-mo and speed ramping.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Oct 2020 14:33:42 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I actually donít think Snyder gets enough credit, specifically for what he does well. Yes he is not a fantastic filmmaker (although I also think heís far from a terrible one) but his eye for a shot is extraordinary. Heíd be a wonderful art director. Comparisons with the likes of Bay are incredibly unfair. Bay is absolutely talentless. Snyder is actually very talented, but itís too singular a talent to make great films.
    I agree that he makes a good shot, if he had someone moderating his excessively bad habits he may do better as it is it does feel like there's no one telling him no, Zack...no.
  • Rhaegyr 16 Oct 2020 14:39:34 5,236 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In all fairness I've only seen around 60% of Snyder's films (and only once).

Bay is shit but at least owns up to making films for a teenage audience whereas I get the impression Snyder thinks he's making high art.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2020 15:58:55 20,990 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Really? I honestly don't see what Snyder brings to the table except excessive use of filters, slow-mo and speed ramping.
    Composition and tracking of some of his shots are absolutely stunning. Like genuinely top tier.
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2020 16:06:04 83,331 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It wasnt an accident that 300 blew everyones tits off. There are a few shots in it that are almost matrix-level iconic.

Its just a shame his hot streak lasted for two movies.

(I do like the Owl one, tbf. Its a genuinely good film, if not a good kids movie)
  • beastmaster 16 Oct 2020 16:07:16 21,395 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I remember Snyder being compared to Terrence Malick for his filing style when he was doing the Kent farm in Man of Steel.

He's got Army of the Dead to come out on Netflix soon. Don't know if it'll be this year. Zombie heist film which could be really good. Will probably be the best original film on Netflix but that's not exactly saying much.
  • kentmonkey 16 Oct 2020 16:17:11 23,845 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot cheers, I'll see if I can access it via a friend/relative

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.