Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4222

• nickthegun 16 Oct 2020 16:19:47 83,331 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There were a lot of 'omg malik!' proclamations after the Man of Steel trailer dropped because it was very deliberately cut to make it look like a fairly thoughtful, studied and beautiful journey of discovery.

As opposed to people punching each other through buildings.
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2020 16:23:42 83,331 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I mean, come on......

• Your-Mother 16 Oct 2020 16:24:50 4,970 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    While I agree with Kal that he can frame a stunning scene, most of the good shots in his DC movies have been lifted straight from the comics. Including 300 and Watchmen. That being said, being able to perfectly replicate iconic comic shots in motion is a talent in itself.
  • Your-Mother 16 Oct 2020 16:27:28 4,970 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Effectively I don't trust him as a director or writer, but taking someone else's vision and making it stunning is what he's good at. Get him in as a cinematographer role or something alongside a boring but capable director like Ron Howard and it'll be amazing.

Edited by Your-Mother at 16:27:53 16-10-2020
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Oct 2020 17:35:33 10,892 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cocoon 3: This Is Sparta
  • anephric 16 Oct 2020 17:57:39 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't have much good to say about Michael Bay but for a long time he was still doing practical effects and stunts (see Bad Boys 2) when the rest of the industry was CGIing the fuck out of it, although he went that way in the end, but still.

I think (although I haven't watched the most recent ones) Transformers still uses real vehicles getting smashed with CGI robotz to heighten the 'realism'.

So, uh, yeah. I like that Michael Bay was still doing real car chases in-between sticking his camera up Megan Fox's foof.
  • Your-Mother 16 Oct 2020 18:03:31 4,970 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really just one car chase that was subsequently reused in almost every film he made afterwards though.
  • drhickman1983 16 Oct 2020 18:04:08 7,120 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To a degree I can respect Bay's use of practical effects, it's just a shame that his vision also demands a camera that jolts around like the operator just dropped a load of speed washed down with coffee.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Oct 2020 18:06:15 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Effectively I don't trust him as a director or writer, but taking someone else's vision and making it stunning is what he's good at. Get him in as a cinematographer role or something alongside a boring but capable director like Ron Howard and it'll be amazing.
    100% agree with that.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 18:06:28 16-10-2020
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2020 18:08:09 83,331 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Really just one car chase that was subsequently reused in almost every film he made afterwards though.
    Itís a pretty power move to become known as an action director and expect people not to notice you reusing action scenes.
  • JoeBlade 16 Oct 2020 18:22:24 5,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    in-between sticking his camera up Megan Fox's foof.
    And I, for one, say the man deserves an academy award for that alone.
  • Decks 16 Oct 2020 18:26:06 26,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watchmen is the only film of his I'd say is quite good. I liked 300 at the time but it's pretty terrible watching it now. His DC films have been utterly terrible, every one some how getting worse than the last.

Edited by Decks at 19:03:31 16-10-2020
  • JamboWayOh 16 Oct 2020 18:34:15 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    anephric wrote:
    God I remember feeling fucking embarrassed watching that piece of shit. Tbf I should have been more embarrassed that I actually paid money to see it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Oct 2020 19:02:28 33,272 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not seen it in years, but I thought Dawn of the dead was pretty good at the time.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2020 19:02:31 20,990 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Man of Steel honestly isnít a bad film. Itís not a great film but itís better than average. Iíd say itís Ďquite goodí as a fair and honest appraisal.

I realise thatís hardly glowing praise but somewhere between disappointing off the back of being benchmarked by Nolanís Batmans, and then further tarnished by its definitely terrible DCU sequels, it gets a rough ride.

Iíd personally say itís better than a fair few MCU films.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Oct 2020 19:38:38 10,892 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Not seen it in years, but I thought Dawn of the dead was pretty good at the time.
    It is. Better than the original imo
  • Your-Mother 16 Oct 2020 19:48:02 4,970 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Man of Steel honestly isnít a bad film. Itís not a great film but itís better than average. Iíd say itís Ďquite goodí as a fair and honest appraisal.

I realise thatís hardly glowing praise but somewhere between disappointing off the back of being benchmarked by Nolanís Batmans, and then further tarnished by its definitely terrible DCU sequels, it gets a rough ride.

Iíd personally say itís better than a fair few MCU films.

Agreed. The MCU films, for the most part, played it extremely safe off fresh ground (new cinematic characters with no real legacy for the most part, at least until they got to Spidey). Rebooting Superman, which already had an absolutely massive cinematic legacy, was always going to be challenging. And yeah, like you said, it came off the back of DC movies that were widely considered to be some of the best superhero movies of all time. The rest of the DCU may have been a disaster, but MoS does deserve more credit.
  • Lukus 16 Oct 2020 20:14:56 23,687 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I didn't hate Batman Vs Superman, but I went into it having heard it was one of the worst films ever made, so low expectations were confounded.
  • JoeBlade 16 Oct 2020 20:53:17 5,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Anyway, Snyders and Bays aside...

Safe House

Rather conventional CIA action/intrigue fare. It's not bad, there's just nothing original about it.

That said, the camera during action scenes is more shaky than a typical Greengrass flick. And that final action bit... the amount of 'who (almost) dies but doesn't but then does or does he?' was a bit much.

It has Denzel and Ryan Reynolds though.

7/10
  • askew 16 Oct 2020 21:13:18 21,965 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Anyway, Snyders and Bays aside...

Safe House

Rather conventional CIA action/intrigue fare. It's not bad, there's just nothing original about it.

That said, the camera during action scenes is more shaky than a typical Greengrass flick. And that final action bit... the amount of 'who (almost) dies but doesn't but then does or does he?' was a bit much.

It has Denzel and Ryan Reynolds though.

7/10
    So hots right now
  • brokenkey 16 Oct 2020 21:20:48 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    anephric wrote:
    God I remember feeling fucking embarrassed watching that piece of shit. Tbf I should have been more embarrassed that I actually paid money to see it.
    I don't remember this, do you have a YouTube link?
  • beastmaster 16 Oct 2020 21:40:32 21,395 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Classic Half in the Bag episode. Watching the first three Transformers films simultaneously.

• anephric 16 Oct 2020 22:07:32 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Denzyl is mentioned: Beastmaster mode ACTIVATED.
  • OnlyJoeKing 17 Oct 2020 02:05:38 1,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished Inbred on amazon prime video.

Worth a watch. Gruesome, pretty funny in places. Hilariously ott cult horror stuff.

1 vegetable insertion/100.
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 09:53:55 9,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug super very long extended edition and in 3D to boot off a Blu-ray or however itís spelt disc.

A bunch of dudes keep travelling east.

Now that is a proper fantasy film. The silly is (mostly) gone, no more singing, no more pandering to children. Forgetting the book for a minute, the film stands on its own and makes sense as it is.

Perhaps the weakest part is the beginning, but then it goes from strength to strength. Barrel ride, lake town, itís all fun and good. Everything that goes on in the mountain is just glorious.

Thorin is just great, Martin Freeman is a much better hobbit than the dude playing Frodo ever was and then thereís the hot girl from Lost, who makes everything sheís in a lot better.

Oh, and the 3D is for the most part some of the best Iíve seen and actually improves the film.

8/10
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 10:17:58 9,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve also watched 50 minutes of The Karate Kid last night, the new one with Jackie Chan and Will Smithís son. I will not be watching more.

I never expected to say this, but Jackie Chan has no charisma at all in it. And itís scene by scene a repeat of the previous film.

Pointless/10
  • dfunked09 17 Oct 2020 10:27:24 517 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Dawn of the Dead

Decided to throw it on as it's one of the few Snyder films I haven't seen yet, and everybody here seems to love him unconditionally.
    Pretty enjoyable zombie fare and it even had some tits flashed in the end credits to keep the typical Snyder fan happy.

Zack Snyder out of ten
  • Baihu1983 17 Oct 2020 11:31:49 12,850 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do they? Seems 90% or more can't stand him
  • TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2020 11:44:57 17,842 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aliens

The first film remains a classic in the sci-fi and creature horror genres. The sequel manages the same lofty heights in the action market - I'd probably rank it as one of the best action films of its era, if not all time. Predator is the true winner here though :-)

Everything is pretty much spot on, but not without flaws (like the over tropey marines and Ripley's hypocrisy), but they don't matter at all. The effects still hold up reasonably well, and the story fitted the previous film's conclusion - thankfully they didn't make any more films in the series and shit on this perfect record...

10/10
  • Kilters 17 Oct 2020 11:59:31 618 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Incredible film. I would argue though that the marines in Aliens set the trope.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.