Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4223

• dominalien 17 Oct 2020 12:02:07 9,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, they werenít marine tropes when Aliens was made. 10/10 is the right score.

Edited by dominalien at 12:02:15 17-10-2020
  • TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2020 12:12:33 17,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kilters wrote:
    @TechnoHippy

Incredible film. I would argue though that the marines in Aliens set the trope.
    In a sci-fi context maybe, but the various tropes of over confidence, assumed superiority to the enemy, and token coward (as three examples) have existed in the classic war films for decades.
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 12:15:21 9,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, then. Before Aliens _space_ marines came in all shapes and sizes, after Aliens theyíre all the same.
  • TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2020 12:23:59 17,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Indeed. It's also good to see that governments still deploy their troops without adequate resources and preparation so far into the future :-)
  • TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2020 16:05:00 17,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Event Horizon

I love this film - while it isn't as genre defining as Alien, it's still a cracking horror in space. It also works as a prequel to Warhammer 40K, and as such will probably be the only decent 40K film we'll ever get :-(

9/10
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2020 16:59:04 9,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, it's great. I have never even thought about a possible 40K connection Awesome.
  • Baihu1983 17 Oct 2020 19:29:49 12,850 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great film and I'm tempted to get it in 4k
  • Tomo 17 Oct 2020 19:32:22 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Event Horizon is so great. Psychological body horror at its finest.
  • Bichii 17 Oct 2020 19:34:04 3,596 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Event Horizon

I love this film - while it isn't as genre defining as Alien, it's still a cracking horror in space. It also works as a prequel to Warhammer 40K, and as such will probably be the only decent 40K film we'll ever get :-(

9/10
    Where does it lose a point?!? I can't think of anything..
  • Tomo 17 Oct 2020 19:34:38 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just looked it up again... 28% on Rottentomatoes?!! Wtf. I remember it being a bit polarising when it came out but that's crazy. Thought it was generally regarded as A Good Film nowadays.
  • TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2020 19:41:47 17,842 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Event Horizon

9/10
    The performances lost a point from me - they're a bit uneven, in particular from Sam Neil.

The visions of hell amused me as well - I experience far worse inside my head (and thanks to the joys of neuropathy, in my nervous system, so daily life is a kind of living hell) pretty much every day. To be fair they were more effective than most such sequences though.
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2020 20:41:51 95,995 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Call of the Wild (Harrison Ford edition). 6/10. A bit all over the place tonally, but I quite enjoyed it. Generally handled the difficult subjects quite well, with some good humour early on. The CGI is mostly good, especially the dogs' expressions, but not stellar. Let down by the ending a touch (it's been so long since I read the book, I have no idea if it's the same or not). Felt a bit panto. Some of the scenic shots are fantastic too.
  • Zerobob 17 Oct 2020 22:13:07 2,560 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been tempted to give Call of the Wild a go, but heard nothing but bad things about it, so I doubt it'll be the film I want it to be.

Using CGI for the dog is unforgivably lazy though. They do know that dogs are real, right? They could just get a well-trained dog to do things and, y'know, film it doing those things, and it'll look just like a real dog... because it's a real dog. I feel like cinema is going backwards sometimes.
  • Dougs 17 Oct 2020 22:17:01 95,995 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Some of the things are a bit preposterous though, and beyond a normal dog. It's ok, doesn't outstay its welcome either.
  • dfunked09 17 Oct 2020 23:43:45 517 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Decent cast and pretty gripping throughout. Probably a solid 7 funnily enough.
  • anephric 17 Oct 2020 23:45:03 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The dog does a lot of emoting as well, it's very disneyfied.

Seeing the raw footage of a guy in a green suit doubling for the dog being petted by Harrison Ford is also priceless.
  • Tomo 18 Oct 2020 00:01:58 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Social Dilemma - 9/10

Feature length doc on Netflix which is basically former Silicon Valley tech bros talking about how Google, Facebook etc manipulate you for profit and the unintended consequences of this which are now reverberating through the world. That is, the most divided society that we've ever had.

Absolutely essential viewing for anyone who owns a mobile phone or has basically used the internet.
  • beastmaster 18 Oct 2020 00:20:51 21,395 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Event Horizon

9/10
    Directed by the guy who did the Resident Evil films and the upcoming Monster Hunter.
  • Dougs 18 Oct 2020 06:33:26 95,995 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Enola Holmes. 6.5/10. A bit clunky in places, like it couldn't fully commit to a particular style but decent enough. Millie Bobby Brown is mostly good although she sounded a bit nasally throughout I thought. Not bad at all though
  • Mola_Ram 18 Oct 2020 07:09:05 24,589 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Event Horizon

9/10
    Directed by the guy who did the Resident Evil films and the upcoming Monster Hunter.
    It loses a point because... it was directed by someone who also directed shitty movies? That makes no sense at all. Even Michael Bay has directed at least one good movie (The Rock), him being Michael Bay doesn't make it less good.
  • smoothpete 18 Oct 2020 07:19:42 37,203 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Get Duked 5/10

This could have been a lot better tbh. I liked the premise, I was hoping for teenage Dog Soldiers but itís trying too hard to be funny and missing the mark entirely.
  • anephric 18 Oct 2020 08:59:04 4,412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Event Horizon is a well-designed shit sandwich. It looks pretty (they spent money on it and got people who'd worked on Alien) and the premise is decent enough, even if it essentially is only Hellraiser in Space (and better than the actual Hellraiser in Space). But, it's Paul Anderson who is only capable of pointing a camera at something and making sure his DP has it in focus, and not much else. It falls apart well before the end, the script is fairly horrible and Anderson is incapable of creating actual tension.
  • Hiphopopotamus 18 Oct 2020 09:02:26 136 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Charm City Kings

The movie adaption of the documentary - 12 o'clock boys

Coming of age story of growing up in Baltimore around bike and gang culture

Really enjoyed it, slim pickings for new movies for me since my local cinema is a Cineworld and closed indefinitely. This is an HBO Max movie after being sold due to the pandemic.

Worth a watch if you can find it, also check out the mentioned documentry - both good!

Edited by Hiphopopotamus at 09:03:21 18-10-2020

Edited by Hiphopopotamus at 09:03:59 18-10-2020
  • TheSaint 18 Oct 2020 09:13:18 19,944 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Decent cast and pretty gripping throughout. Probably a solid 7 funnily enough.
    I thought it was great but then Iím a total Sorkin fanboy.
  • StixxUK 18 Oct 2020 10:19:30 8,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just Mercy 8/10

Great performances, especially from Jamie Foxx. This is based on the true story of Bryan Stevenson, a young black lawyer who in the early 90s worked to ensure justice for people on death row who had not had a fair hearing due to poor legal representation and systemic prejudice.

Focuses on the injustice of the situation, because that's what is relevant. An incredible and infuriating story, well told if not particularly nuanced.
  • JoeBlade 18 Oct 2020 13:11:25 5,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Aquaman

For all the talks of bad DC films and whatnot I must say I borderline hated this and I'm not one to say such things lightly. Even just having it on in the background while gaming it managed to regularly annoy me.

This has next to no plot and what little there is is as bog standard as can be expected, Jason Momoa seems like he must be a fun chap in real life but can't act for shit, Amber Heard seems like she must be a fantastic hate fuck in real life but can't act for shit and I have no clue what Nicole Kidman and Willem Dafoe were thinking signing up for this... thing. And who on earth thought applying a "deep sea" filter to the voices of all actors in underwater scenes would be a good idea? No matter, they ought to be dumped into the nearest abyss either way, along with this abortion of a flick.

Seriously, I'll have any Snyder or Bay crap over this any time of the day. Even Suicide Squad seems like high art in comparison.

a water-clogged turd out of 10
  • JamboWayOh 18 Oct 2020 13:26:54 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Suicide Squad is better than this? Christ no. I mean they're not great films but Suicide Squad is its own special train wreck. I mean it's got Jared Leto in in ffs.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 13:27:49 18-10-2020
  • JoeBlade 18 Oct 2020 14:25:20 5,318 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I disliked SS less than Aquaman and I think Leto is a better (less bad) actor than either Momoa or Heard TBH.

It's like discussing whose pile of vomit is the better one though...
  • JamboWayOh 18 Oct 2020 14:27:00 21,097 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh no. Leto is the worse. At least Momoa has some charisma to him. But yes the vomit analogy applies

Edited by JamboWayOh at 14:27:46 18-10-2020
  • Baihu1983 18 Oct 2020 14:36:45 12,850 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Event Horizon

9/10
    It loses a point because... it was directed by someone who also directed shitty movies? That makes no sense at all. Even Michael Bay has directed at least one good movie (The Rock), him being Michael Bay doesn't make it less good.
    And he made EH first

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.