Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4252

• retro74 20 Nov 2020 08:45:26 3,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood you know I have to now. I had to watch something called 'The Sandlot' the other day because it beat Starship Troopers in a competition to crown the best movie of the 90s and I couldn't comprehend how

It was actually quite good but the overall winner was The Shawshank Redemption, which is decent enough despite being a bit over rated
  • evild_edd 20 Nov 2020 08:49:57 4,277 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I seem to be only watching Blumhouse at the moment. Are they the only people still making movies?
    The low budget strategy is probably pretty appealing in the current environment so I assume they have plenty more to churn out.
    The lower budget likely means fewer people involved, which also makes the logistics easier for covid filming. And the fact that they're lower budget means the can go for a digital release with Netflix / Prime money and not worry about missing cinema revenues.
  • RawShark 20 Nov 2020 11:11:21 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    @fontgeeksogood you know I have to now. I had to watch something called 'The Sandlot' the other day because it beat Starship Troopers in a competition to crown the best movie of the 90s and I couldn't comprehend how

It was actually quite good but the overall winner was The Shawshank Redemption, which is decent enough despite being a bit over rated
    It's been a long time but I do also remember The Sandlot (or "The Sandlot Kids", as it was released over here) being pretty good. For a kids film about baseball anyway. Kind of like Stand By Me but instead of finding a dead body they all projectile vomit after chewing tobacco on a fairground ride.
  • retro74 20 Nov 2020 14:40:24 3,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RawShark Yep that's the one. I'm on some American golf forum and it was destroying some good movies in their 'Best 90s movie' vote thread

I think they have an over inflated opinion of it as it must be relatable to their lives growing up but it is quite good
  • anephric 20 Nov 2020 16:23:57 4,569 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why do we not have nostalgic coming-of-age flicks about chipper young lads playing cricket?

Oh yeah, because it would be piss dull.

Edited by anephric at 19:35:15 20-11-2020
  • EMarkM 20 Nov 2020 16:28:44 5,344 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do remember an old black & white matinee movie about a Scottish shepherd who wanted to be an Olympic hammer thrower.

Or something.

Yeah.
  • nickthegun 20 Nov 2020 16:33:22 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    We do we not have nostalgic coming-of-age flicks about chipper young lads playing cricket?

You just described Merchant Ivory’s ‘Maurice’

Edited by nickthegun at 16:34:06 20-11-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Nov 2020 17:03:27 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    retro74 wrote:

It's been a long time but I do also remember The Sandlot (or "The Sandlot Kids", as it was released over here) being pretty good. For a kids film about baseball anyway. Kind of like Stand By Me but instead of finding a dead body they all projectile vomit after chewing tobacco on a fairground ride.
    I thought Problem Child was the fairground projectile vomit film?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Nov 2020 17:17:21 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Double-bill of my go to autumnal comfort genre today: mid-low budget British comedy-horror starring people you recognise off the telly (also see Cornetto Trilogy, Sightseers, Prevenge, the tv show Stag etc). These were both on Prime.

Get Duked

This was a lot of fun. Four misfit teens doing Duke of Edinburgh Award hike in the highlands get stalked by a mysterious killer with hilarious results.

Things get trippy and the cast is surprising packed of recognisable people. Things go exactly as you’d expect but then it wouldn’t be a comfort genre if they didn’t.

8.5/10

Tales From The Lodge

Mackenzie Crook, Johnny Vegas and friends gather in a remote farm house to remember a dead friend and tell scary stories. But then the horror starts to become a bit too real for them.

Again its exactly what you’d expect. Funnier if less spectacular than Get Duked. Terrific cameo from Kiefer Sutherland

8.5/10
  • nickthegun 20 Nov 2020 18:22:21 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is it as good as Sex Lives Of The Potato Men?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Nov 2020 18:41:01 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I mean, you don’t fuck with the classic
  • anephric 20 Nov 2020 19:36:24 4,569 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I enjoy the bit when Mackenzie Crook gets sucked off by a granny.

Instant wood.
  • RawShark 20 Nov 2020 19:39:13 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    retro74 wrote:

I thought Problem Child was the fairground projectile vomit film?
    I think it was Problem Child 2 but yep, that had a fairground vom scene too.
  • anephric 20 Nov 2020 19:39:25 4,569 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    anephric wrote:
    We do we not have nostalgic coming-of-age flicks about chipper young lads playing cricket?

That has bum stuff though.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Nov 2020 19:48:13 18,076 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lake Placid

Not quite as good as I remembered it, mostly because of some of the silly, and not quite amusing character interaction in the first part. Once it settles down, it's a good monster flick. The croc is well done for the most part, with some good build up, although it loses its effect somewhat in the final scene. Still fun over all though.

7/10
  • Jono62 20 Nov 2020 20:01:47 26,002 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lake Placid? More like Lake Flaccid.
  • JamboWayOh 20 Nov 2020 20:02:20 21,665 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The fact that it can't even make 90 minutes actual run time should at least discount 3 points.
  • anephric 20 Nov 2020 20:28:04 4,569 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's nothing wrong with short and sweet. I'd prefer it if more romps were less than two hours.
  • fontgeeksogood 20 Nov 2020 20:36:14 11,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Die Hard 2? More like Sigh, Hard Poo (because it is a constipated mess)
  • nickthegun 20 Nov 2020 20:49:38 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    anephric wrote:

That has bum stuff though.
    You don’t get more coming of age than that
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Nov 2020 21:04:11 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Die Hard 2? More like Sigh, Hard Poo (because it is a constipated mess)
    Best part of the PS1 game though
  • Dougs 21 Nov 2020 00:04:41 96,721 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with short and sweet. I'd prefer it if more romps were less than two hours.
    1hr 40 is absolutely the optimum run time imo.
  • dfunked09 21 Nov 2020 00:11:06 1,028 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    The way way back 9/10

Originally went with 8/10, but as a coming of age film it's easily among the best I've seen so felt worthy of getting bumped up a notch.
  • Youthist 21 Nov 2020 00:32:58 14,415 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    The way way back 9/10

Originally went with 8/10, but as a coming of age film it's easily among the best I've seen so felt worthy of getting bumped up a notch.
    A gem of a film for sure. The Stand By Me of its generation etc.
  • Youthist 21 Nov 2020 00:35:48 14,415 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    dfunked09 wrote:
    The way way back 9/10

A gem of a film for sure. The Stand By Me of its generation etc.
    Maybe more Dazed and Confused. Either way it’s great.
  • QBX 21 Nov 2020 14:15:24 200 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Journey's End

A group of soldiers in the trenches prepare for a German attack during the First World War.

I remember reading this at high school and it's something that's always stuck with me. It's more a slow build character study about the horrors/naivety of war so anyone expecting something like 1917 will be disappointed.

The cast are excellent and as an adaption I can't really fault it but do think some of the intimacy(?) is lost from the transition to big screen.

9/10
  • TechnoHippy 21 Nov 2020 19:42:39 18,076 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dark Crimes

Jim Carey is a Polish police investigator trying to determine the killer in a twisted cold case. At times it's difficult to figure out who's more twisted - him or the killer. There's an effective brooding atmosphere throughout and some decent twists and turns along the way.

7/10
  • You-can-call-me-kal 21 Nov 2020 19:43:55 21,390 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really? Sitting on 0% on RT. Supposed to be one of the worst films ever.
  • Dougs 21 Nov 2020 20:21:15 96,721 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I was bang up for Doctor Sleep tonight, but the Director's Cut has dropped off Nowtv. Worth waiting for, or press ahead with the theatrical release?
  • nickthegun 21 Nov 2020 20:23:22 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haven’t watched the DC but the version I watched was still pretty good.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.