Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4253

• TechnoHippy 21 Nov 2020 20:32:05 18,076 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Really? Sitting on 0% on RT. Supposed to be one of the worst films ever.
    I wish it was the worst film I've seen :-)
  • retro74 21 Nov 2020 20:34:45 3,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fantasy Island

A pretty straight forward bog standard Ďhorrorí that didnít really have any horror elements in it

Looked beautiful at times and was well shot, I didnít hate all the characters but didnít like any of them either

A generous 5 out of 10 from me
  • anephric 21 Nov 2020 20:55:46 4,569 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The DC of Doctor Sleep adds some more character moments and breaks the whole lot up into chapters, and is a bit superior (and longer!) but I would lose any sleep (© Beastmaster) if you have to watch the theatrical cut instead.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Nov 2020 21:48:52 33,394 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    VHS - 7/10

Been going through a phase of watching a lot of crap horror films, so was expecting the same again. Surprisingly this was actually quite good. Plot is a fairly loose way to bring an anthology of found footage shorts together. 2 or 3 of them are actually quote cool though and they are short enough that the duff ones don't ruin things.

Alright.
  • Load_2.0 21 Nov 2020 22:16:45 32,306 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Disturbing The Peace.

Wow. This is truly atrocious. Why the fuck is Guy Pearce in this disaster.

Like an overly long, violent episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

I utterly regret watching it.
  • Syrette 21 Nov 2020 22:21:33 50,935 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Like an overly long, violent episode of Walker Texas Ranger.
    Sold!

... Well I would be if Chuck was involved.
  • Dougs 21 Nov 2020 23:32:05 96,721 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ended up watching The Trial of the Chicago 7. Solid Sorkin stuff, well written, good performances etc. Lacked a little something I thought, but not able to put my finger on what. Probably that court room stuff isn't my favourite genre.
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Nov 2020 00:11:59 2,296 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I See You, scaryish thriller on Netflix, fairly original and watchable. 6/10
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Nov 2020 09:23:44 21,390 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Ended up watching The Trial of the Chicago 7. Solid Sorkin stuff, well written, good performances etc. Lacked a little something I thought, but not able to put my finger on what. Probably that court room stuff isn't my favourite genre.
    Is every single character in it Aaron Sorkin?
  • RawShark 22 Nov 2020 11:27:42 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doctor Sleep - Directors Cut

Havenít seen the theatrical version, so canít compare the two. But this could have done with being a bit leaner.

Itís a perfectly serviceable supernatural flick which unfortunately relies too much on nostalgia in its final act. Itís hard to wring anything new out of The Shining, especially when films like Ready, Player One have already drained that well dry, so I really wish it had done its own thing instead of clinging to the original.

It would have been a better film if it had nothing to do with The Shining at all.

6/10
  • anephric 22 Nov 2020 11:35:22 4,569 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, it doesn't really need the connection, although I liked the fan service, it was well done.

The main problem I have with it is the True Knot, outside of one scene, really aren't scary or particularly threatening at all.

The pacing, especially in the DC, is more like a TV series, it may have been better off going down that road.
  • RawShark 22 Nov 2020 11:37:41 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I could have done without the glowing eyes. Overkill.

Also, they wheel out the Shining greatest hits but leave out the scariest part of the Kubrick film - whereís the guy in the dog costume???
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2020 11:52:17 24,906 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    I could have done without the glowing eyes. Overkill.

Also, they wheel out the Shining greatest hits but leave out the scariest part of the Kubrick film - whereís the guy in the dog costume???
    At Jeffrey Epstein's house?
  • anephric 22 Nov 2020 14:36:05 4,569 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's a naughty bear, not a dog.

Duh, get it right.
  • Dougs 22 Nov 2020 14:41:38 96,721 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:

Is every single character in it Aaron Sorkin?
    It's the sequel to Being John Malkovich
  • RawShark 22 Nov 2020 15:40:20 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    He's a naughty bear, not a dog.

Duh, get it right.
    See, I thought so too. But then I was reliably informed by someone who read the book that itís a guy in a dog costume called Roger. But yeah it looks more like a bear. Maybe they were all out of dog costumes.

The great thing about that scene is itís so fleeting - youíre not sure what you saw, and whatever it was, you wish you hadnít.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Nov 2020 17:37:13 18,076 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tales from the Lodge

The humour is a bit hit and miss, but mostly hit. The main story thread is predictable - event the big reveal, but the side stories were quite good fun.

6/10
  • Youthist 22 Nov 2020 17:44:05 14,415 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Calm With Horses on Netflix is great. Well worth a watch if you are into your gritty Irish gangster fare.

Shanemeadowsonabudget / 10.

Edited by Youthist at 17:44:33 22-11-2020
  • Ultrasoundwave 22 Nov 2020 17:58:47 6,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Waters

Mark Ruffallo is a lawyer taking on DuPont who are responsible for poisoning an entire community to produce Teflon.

Couldnít believe what I was watching, I really struggled to comprehend that this was a true story. The acting is superb all round and the story is absolutely gripping, even more so because this shit actually happened (and is still happening).

Also the bombshell dropped at the end that basically all of us have this C8 poison shit in our system because this corporation wanted to make more money actually made me furious.

One of the most relevant films made in recent times, watch it and prepare to get angry.

8.5/10

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 17:59:13 22-11-2020
  • TechnoHippy 22 Nov 2020 19:14:35 18,076 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mama

I think there's something wrong with my memory, as I'm pretty sure I'd watched this before, but didn't remember any part of it. In any case, it's a superb horror. The two kids are great, the story a solid take on a classic ghost story. The ghost was well realised and it had some great atmosphere, and not too reliant on jump scares.

And the ending - well there was dust in my eye I tell you.

9/10
  • barchetta 22 Nov 2020 20:47:14 2,958 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave Yeah, this left us feeling angry and deceived - that the damage can't be undone and that they have broadly got away with it.

Also referenced in this recent article which begs the question as to the wisdom of Biden's preferred appointee:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/19/dear-joe-biden-are-you-kidding-me-erin-brockovich
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Nov 2020 23:27:17 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Tales from the Lodge

The humour is a bit hit and miss, but mostly hit. The main story thread is predictable - event the big reveal, but the side stories were quite good fun.

6/10
    Could happily watch a series of sketches based on Johnny Vegasí story
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Nov 2020 16:23:52 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mortal Engines

I was a big fan of the original trilogy of books back when I worked with younger readers so have been excited to see this.

Really enjoyed it. Obviously being a Peter Jackson production and directed by someone who was a designer on LOTR it owes a lot to the good Middle Earth trilogy but it also realises the world of the novels really well. My only gripes in that regard are Shrike looking a bit like heís from a video game cut scene and Hester not being as disfigured as written.

Although she is too hot Hester and Klaus from Umbrella Academy are really good as the leads. Hugo Weaving does menace as well as heís ever done it. The rest are all a bit anonymous but its YA thats been turned into an explosion fest so its not a surprise and doesnít hurt it too much.

Its been a long time since I read it but the film is almost all action and not a whole lot world building which means it is a strangely flat 2 hours.

Its a pity it was a relative flop and I donít think weíre getting the next two parts. Would recommend. Particularly as a weekend/early evening as the nights draw in type film to break up ITV showing Harry Potter in that slot endlessly.

8/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Nov 2020 16:26:34 15,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My other comment would be that Iíve always thought the Traction Cities and other makeshift tech like airships wouldíve made this ideal as an anime. After seeing the New Zealand/Hollywood version Iíve not changed my mind.
  • nickthegun 23 Nov 2020 16:33:57 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It genuinely feels like we watched different movies, although I havent read the book which usually helps fill in gaps. I thought it was wank.
  • nickthegun 23 Nov 2020 16:39:11 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Speaking of bags of wank:

Fantasy Island: genuinely the most boring movie Ive seen in years. Michael Pena ambles around looking like hes been tranquilised and delivers his lines in an almost sarcastically flat way, mumbling the word 'fantasy' to a bunch of twats so often it definitely should have made them suspicious.

All the 'fantasies' are route one shit and the 'horror' elements are laughable.

The only person who looks like they give a fuck is Michael Rooker and they throw his stupid ass off a cliff.

Fuck this movie/10

Edited by nickthegun at 16:39:58 23-11-2020
  • Decks 23 Nov 2020 16:44:23 27,689 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is there a disconcerting midget in it?
  • nickthegun 23 Nov 2020 16:48:55 83,748 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its, basically, a prequel to the show (kind of) and the way they address that genuinely made my eyes roll out of my head.
  • Decks 23 Nov 2020 16:50:13 27,689 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well shit, I hadn't realised the little guy had shot himself.
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Nov 2020 16:51:34 11,269 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Where did they go
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.