• JamboWayOh 9 Jan 2021 19:21:04 22,445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When you write it down like that.

Christ.
  • Load_2.0 9 Jan 2021 19:22:09 32,505 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Phantom Menace is the worst of all the films.

Jar Jar, the Gungans, the trade federation, Watto, Pod racing and Qui-Gon who abandons Darth's mum to a life of slavery.

It's racist AF and all round shit. Ray Park is the only good thing.

Oh and fucking midichlorians.
  • captbirdseye 9 Jan 2021 19:23:40 10,241 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Who doesn't want to watch three films of the Republics version of Brexit.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jan 2021 19:29:51 33,534 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, the Phantom Menace is utter horsehit. It's so unbelievably dull

Attack of the Clones is barely better and has the worst script of the lot.

RotS is still crap but at least looks a bit like a Star Wars film at times.
  • Kay 9 Jan 2021 19:34:57 20,924 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Finally got round to watching this, and it was... alright. Had some amusing moments and the humour was broad enough to appeal to more than just AP fans. Though tbh, the character doesn't really suit a feature length film.

6/10

Mindhorn

Another film about a ridiculous British middle-aged man living off past glories and eventually getting in over his head. I preferred the slightly more absurd humour in this to AP.

7/10

Bad Words

Jason Bateman plays a misanthropic 40-year old that uses a loophole to enter and win child spelling bee competitions because he simply does not give a fuck. There's obviously a bit more to the story than that, with the requisite touching moments, but it's also pretty funny simply because the main character is a dick and it's entertaining to see him trying to win at all costs and just generally being offensive.

8/10

All currently on Prime btw.
  • Decks 9 Jan 2021 19:35:15 28,417 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Sith is my most loathed because it should have been the good one. It's absolutely fucking dreadful. They all are.
  • Rum_Monkey 9 Jan 2021 19:38:18 1,959 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    The latest one was pretty awful but still nowhere near the shitness of the prequels. The other 2 of the newest ones were pretty good. I really liked Rogue One and Solo.
  • Dougs 9 Jan 2021 19:38:19 97,446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Who doesn't want to watch three films of the Republics version of Brexit.
    The opening of AoC is excruciating
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2021 19:39:25 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was a weird few weeks when it was released where people were actually trying to convince themselves of that. Its got like 80% on RT which is kind of mind blowing. It's just so stupid.
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2021 19:42:29 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kay wrote:

Mindhorn

I preferred the slightly more absurd humour in this to AP.
    But there wasn't much of it, though. I was ready surprised how little actual comedy there is. Yeah, there's some absurdist bits but it's just not a very funny movie. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.

Maybe that's on me, though. Or more likely the trailer.
  • Rodney 9 Jan 2021 20:18:31 4,871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Lol, Carry Fisher AND Mark Hamilton
    Hmm, I wish I could blame that on autocorrect. But that would be a lie.
  • BreadBinLidHero 9 Jan 2021 20:25:28 10,338 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Palpatine is good in the prequels. It's seems Ian McDiarmid realised that dialogue that shit should be acted pantomime-style, hammed up to the max with lots of gurning.
  • Your-Mother 9 Jan 2021 20:29:33 6,203 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Roses are red
    Potatoes have eyes
    Have I ever told you the story
    Of Darth Plagueis the Wise
  • Kay 9 Jan 2021 20:38:44 20,924 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Kay wrote:

Mindhorn

I preferred the slightly more absurd humour in this to AP.
    But there wasn't much of it, though. I was ready surprised how little actual comedy there is. Yeah, there's some absurdist bits but it's just not a very funny movie. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.

Maybe that's on me, though. Or more likely the trailer.
    Yeah, it was definitely wryly amusing rather than laugh out loud funny. But the film had enough twists and turns to keep me entertained throughout. Plus I didn't realise just how great a comic actor Julian Barrett is (I only really remember him as being the guy with paint on his head on Nathan Barley).
  • RawShark 9 Jan 2021 21:37:02 1,495 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Palpatine is good in the prequels. It's seems Ian McDiarmid realised that dialogue that shit should be acted pantomime-style, hammed up to the max with lots of gurning.
    Dew it.
  • RawShark 9 Jan 2021 21:46:21 1,495 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    American Mary

As someone who winces at the thought of scalpels, I’m not sure why I thought it was a good idea to watch this. Like a visit to Unnecessary Surgery Land at Itchy & Scratchy World.

Add multiple points if you ever had a subscription to Bizarre magazine.

5/10
  • Deleted user 9 January 2021 21:46:36
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Roses are red
    Potatoes have eyes
    Have I ever told you the story
    Of Darth Plagueis the Wise
    Roses are red
    New Annakins are shit
  • Deleted user 9 January 2021 21:49:10
    @RawShark I remember Bizarre!

The only thing I ACTUALLY remember from it is a photo of a girl drinking a stream of wine from the bottle, European style, with the caption “This is better than anything in the Sex section”.

And it was!
  • JamboWayOh 9 Jan 2021 22:03:12 22,445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stream of 'wine'...sure Mark...
  • Deleted user 9 January 2021 23:08:47
    @JamboWayOh :D
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jan 2021 23:41:55 16,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Phantom Menace is better than Attack of the Clones
  • dfunked09 10 Jan 2021 00:32:51 1,451 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    T2 - 7/10

Not the one with Arnie, obvs...
    It's OK. It does that annoying sequel thing of showing constant flashbacks, which in this case just serve to remind you that the original film had a point and this really has none.
    The score is pretty terrible too. I'm a massive fan of underworld, but after a while this was just "I wonder which part of born slippy they're going to slow down next"

Can't believe someone said it was better than the original recently...
  • GNS1991 10 Jan 2021 07:24:07 50 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    The Shining (1980). Jack Nicholson carried the whole thing. Also liked the lingering scenery shots. 8/10.

P.S. Why did Jack Torrence say "Here's Johnny!", if his name is Jack? Hmmm...
  • Bichii 10 Jan 2021 07:28:56 4,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I'm in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you—I can't breathe. I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me.

*Goosebumps*
    /Rubs one out
  • mangojoe 10 Jan 2021 07:38:14 2,523 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GNS1991 Jack Nicholson ad-libbed the line "Here's Johnny!" in imitation of announcer Ed McMahon's famous introduction of Johnny Carson on U.S. network NBC-TV's long-running late night television program The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Stanley Kubrick, who had been living in England since before Carson took over "The Tonight Show," had no clue what "Here's Johnny!" meant. Carson once used the clip of Nicholson as the introduction to one of his annual anniversary specials.
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2021 08:17:50 97,446 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    And Jack is often another name for John, I think.

Finally watched Doctor Sleep, after I couldn't be arsed to wait for the Director's Cut anymore. I was disappointed. Was a bit blah, both the story and the direction. There was little tension and it looked more made for TV. I did enjoy the last 30 mins though.

6/10
  • GNS1991 10 Jan 2021 09:07:44 50 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    mangojoe wrote:
    @GNS1991 Jack Nicholson ad-libbed the line "Here's Johnny!" in imitation of announcer Ed McMahon's famous introduction of Johnny Carson on U.S. network NBC-TV's long-running late night television program The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. Stanley Kubrick, who had been living in England since before Carson took over "The Tonight Show," had no clue what "Here's Johnny!" meant. Carson once used the clip of Nicholson as the introduction to one of his annual anniversary specials.
    Oh, thanks for the info.
  • HarryPalmer 10 Jan 2021 09:49:41 6,283 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shazam! 8/10

I loved it, probably the best comic book movie in years. Very 80s feeling, all the effects are great and the set-pieces are very inventive without being like an insane computer game (Marvel). It's also genuinely funny.
  • Youthist 10 Jan 2021 09:53:59 14,445 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes Jack is another name for John so it works / isn’t wrong
  • JoeBlade 10 Jan 2021 10:05:43 5,713 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I think Phantom Menace is better than Attack of the Clones
    Phantom Menace? Phantom My Ass more like!

I actually agree though. They both have many, many boring or cringe worthy scenes but PM at least has a decent baddie and final fight. I find there's absolutely nothing memorable about AotC (not in a positive way that is)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.