Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4333

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 20 Feb 2021 17:16:04 3,002 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TechnoHippy We watched this a few weeks back. I'd agree with the 6/10. Not bad. Apparently there's a sequel on the way.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2021 17:38:40 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar I think they did enough that I'd give a sequel a watch.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2021 18:47:57 16,375 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Escape Room

I think Cube did it better and with a simpler, if more mysterious, set up. Still it's not too bad, if a bit silly in places.

6/10
    Cube is such an under-appreciated film.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Feb 2021 18:55:37 16,375 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aladdin

The cartoon. Some of the Arabian accents and stereotypes might be sailing close to the wind but the action and songs are still all time Disney classics.

9/10

Horton Hears A Who

Cgi Dr Seuss adaptation that falls foul of too much Dreamworks style sass from too many characters. Itíd be a much better film without it since everyone who does it in any movie that has it basically shares a single personality.

5/10

Congo

Iíve got a lot of time for this. Sure, the cast is a bit B-list and the sets are all incredibly stagey and fake looking and the attitude to Africa and African people is a bit insensitive bordering on offensive but so much nostalgia from when I had it on tape and would watch it a lot. The plot is pure airport novel, production values TV movie level but its fun.

Would love to see the premise revisited without the weekend family adventure movie tone.

8/10
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 20 Feb 2021 20:58:56 3,002 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Meg

Better than I expected, even though I know it got fairly good-ish reviews. Quite funny, especially the tongue-in-cheekness of the beach scene. It didn't take itself seriously and nice to see another Asian/American collaboration. Predictable but watchable Saturday evening family watch for us. We laughed our asses off at Pippin!

7/10

Edited by Daddy-Doom-Bar at 20:59:15 20-02-2021
  • Murbs 20 Feb 2021 21:00:59 25,006 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Greenland. Seems to have reviewed well. Can't for the life of me understand why. Tripe.
  • drhickman1983 20 Feb 2021 23:02:24 7,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Red Dawn (1984)

After Russia invades America a group of teenagers fight them back using guerilla tactics.

It's a load of cobblers.

The Russian soliders are frankly the most inept soldiers this side of Star Wars' Storm Troopers, as they seemingly have absolutely no grasp of basic combat tactics or awareness.

The teenagers have absolutely no personality or interesting character traits. When some of them inevitable die it's hard to recall which one was which.

And it just drags on and on.

The only character even approaching any level of nuance or depth in the entire film is the Cuban general leading the communist invasion, who sympathizes with the teenagers.

4/10
  • anephric 20 Feb 2021 23:16:40 4,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I quite like Red Dawn. If you look at it as a celebration of resistance fighters in general rather than an anti-communist polemic it's a bit less Reaganite. Milius does allude to this with the aforementioned William Smith character, who realises he's gone from being the guerilla to the oppressor. The dedication at the end of the film says as much as well.

I have a soft spot for contrary old John Milius, sue me.
  • RawShark 20 Feb 2021 23:24:13 1,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I Care a Lot

Worth watching the start if only as a John Oliver-esque introduction to the murky world of care homes and guardianship in the US. For a while itís pretty effective. Then things get silly.

So without giving anything away - this film is really on the nose. The subtext might as well be written on every characterís forehead. Yes itís a work of fiction and can get away with it, but as a satire itís not exactly Armando Iannucci.

And the ending was totally tacked on and the visuals have been done about a dozen times before.

Shame - it felt like it could have been more.

5/10

Edited by RawShark at 23:24:31 20-02-2021
  • Gruff 20 Feb 2021 23:41:17 3,779 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Monster Hunter 6/10 S'kay, bit frenetic and pointless, but turn your brain off and it passes the time. Bugger all to do with game, basically just borrows the monsters for while so it can destroy them

Love and Monsters 7/10 Good fun, the better half of my monster themed evening, quite liked the American Martin Freeman. Lots of chuckles, quite enjoyable.

Edited by Gruff at 23:41:59 20-02-2021
  • drhickman1983 21 Feb 2021 00:22:36 7,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I quite like Red Dawn. If you look at it as a celebration of resistance fighters in general rather than an anti-communist polemic it's a bit less Reaganite. Milius does allude to this with the aforementioned William Smith character, who realises he's gone from being the guerilla to the oppressor. The dedication at the end of the film says as much as well.

I have a soft spot for contrary old John Milius, sue me.
    Even with that reading the characters were still utter voids of personality and the A-Team level of military tactics bugged me.

I've got a soft spot for Milius, Conan the Barbarian is legitimately one of my favourite films.
  • IronGiant 21 Feb 2021 00:45:14 6,236 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Gift - 6/10

Joel Edgerton puts in a suitably creepy performance.. itís ok, not exactly the film for a romantic night in ;)
  • Hiphopopotamus 21 Feb 2021 00:59:19 229 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    RawShark wrote:
    I Care a Lot

Worth watching the start if only as a John Oliver-esque introduction to the murky world of care homes and guardianship in the US. For a while itís pretty effective. Then things get silly.

So without giving anything away - this film is really on the nose. The subtext might as well be written on every characterís forehead. Yes itís a work of fiction and can get away with it, but as a satire itís not exactly Armando Iannucci.

And the ending was totally tacked on and the visuals have been done about a dozen times before.

Shame - it felt like it could have been more.

5/10
    Agree, I don't want to say I was enjoying it but I was invested... Then I just got annoyed and endured it to see if it redeemed itself but meh
  • robthehermit 21 Feb 2021 02:16:53 8,234 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Escape Room

I think Cube did it better and with a simpler, if more mysterious, set up. Still it's not too bad, if a bit silly in places.

6/10
    Cube Zero is also excellent. Cube 2: Hypercube not so much.
  • TheDarkKnight 21 Feb 2021 11:08:00 823 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Outside The Wire
    Can't help but feel this could have been so much more. The effects were pretty good, the robots were really cool but under utilised in the story. There's hints at a kind of Terminator plot about AI but really never thoroughly explored enough above the generic war battles. Some sort of moral is attempted to be conveyed about drones but then at the end it's all forgotten about. I'm pretty gobsmacked how Netflix can be consistently putting out such shit films.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Feb 2021 11:17:23 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Escape Room

6/10
    Cube Zero is also excellent. Cube 2: Hypercube not so much.
    I didn't mind hypercube, but while I enjoyed Cube Zero as a film - it didn't really fit the implied setting of the first two films.
  • smoothpete 21 Feb 2021 12:08:24 37,517 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kung Fu Killer - 8/10 if you like this kind of thing.

Donnie Yen being badass, Wang Baoqiang being badasser, a very decent martial arts film with (IMO) excellent choreography.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Feb 2021 17:23:32 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cop Car

A couple of kids steal Kevin Bacon's cop car and shenanigans ensue. From the trailer I expected something funnier, but it's still a decent watch.

6/10
  • askew 21 Feb 2021 17:26:15 22,837 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hah. It's pretty dark, if it's the film I remember.
  • MadCaddy13 21 Feb 2021 19:35:33 3,152 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stan & Ollie

A very heartwarming film with very little tension or stress throughout.
    They were made out to be very likeable and nice people and I do hope that was the case irl.
    The actors did a great job of portraying them as I felt I was immersed in their acting. I forgot Steve coogan and John c. Reilly were in it. I was initially put off watching this as I really do not like coogan but as I said - he did a great job of not being Alan partridge

70/100

Edited by MadCaddy13 at 20:14:08 21-02-2021
  • TechnoHippy 21 Feb 2021 19:40:29 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Hah. It's pretty dark, if it's the film I remember.
    It does head that way.
  • BreadBinLidHero 21 Feb 2021 19:46:08 10,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mission: Impossible - Fallout - 7/10

Frantic, well-paced action fun. A pleasant surprise given I'd not seen an MI film since the first one.
  • RawShark 22 Feb 2021 00:47:05 1,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cop Car was one of those films that took me by surprise. I mean I had totally forgotten about it until you brought it up... but I did enjoy it.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Feb 2021 01:59:26 6,952 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm pretty gobsmacked how Netflix can be consistently putting out such shit films.
    Again, just because they slap "Netflix Original" on something doesn't mean they had any hand in it.

What they mostly buy are distribution rights, and probably pretty cheaply for these shit films, so they can pad out a catalogue of increasing mediocrity. Talking of which.....

The Blackout - 5/10

Hmmm. Shlock sci-fi premise of the world being completely nullified bar a circular area centred on Moscow, and following the military response as they recce outside to find out what happened.....

Suffered through 30mins of the widely available workmanlike dub, before relenting and searching for a Russian/sub version, because the opening was mildly watchable. The middle hour was absolutely turgid, before the big set-piece finale that, although technically great, didn't make up for anything beforehand.

But for a mere $4 million budget ? It looked great. Well shot, well directed, and the CGI these 'cheap' films are throwing around is pretty damn impressive. It just needed a script/plot to match.... :/

Think I was more interested in the fact that the same crew are making a Metro 2033 adaptation, and I'm left hopeful after this tbh. Having the books/story to follow should be more beneficial than Egyptian aliens with dual-vagina-nostril faces.
  • TommyUnderwear 22 Feb 2021 02:15:22 360 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Greenland. Seems to have reviewed well. Can't for the life of me understand why. Tripe.
    Fucking awful. No more than a 3/10.
  • TheDarkKnight 22 Feb 2021 09:16:14 823 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    I'm pretty gobsmacked how Netflix can be consistently putting out such shit films.
    Again, just because they slap "Netflix Original" on something doesn't mean they had any hand in it.
    I'm sure you're right but they're still picking these films to slap the Netflix logo on, which you would assume means something, positive? Either it's a unique, niche story or a well made blockbuster or something.

Youtubers could produce a better movie that most of Netflix's catalogue.

Oh and yeah Greenland was awful. Sat through one hour and couldn't stand any more.
  • RGeefe 22 Feb 2021 09:59:02 1,701 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I genuinely don't see Netflix existing in the form it does 5 years from now. The longer it goes on, the more I can see it becoming the Myspace of streaming. They're so ridiculously in debt and they are running out of investors to con, along with losing rights to stuff all over the place.

We'll just end up back at "cable subscription" model but with the internet. Then we'll all just end up torrenting again or illegally streaming or whatever. The circle of life.
  • BreadBinLidHero 22 Feb 2021 10:02:11 10,397 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't they buy up crappy films that studios don't think have theatrical mileage on the basis that their algorithm and the general passivity of viewers will get the views in?

And TBF are many of Netflix's shitty films much shittier than lots of other stuff that people lap up?
  • nickthegun 22 Feb 2021 10:03:53 85,079 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Flipside, if they manage to battle on, I think they will come through the other side of the inevitable streaming crash almost on brand recognition along. The market cant sustain 30 odd streaming services.
  • SuperSoupy 22 Feb 2021 10:12:42 267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's an interesting take. I'm not sure if they won't be around, but in 5 years they will have (if not already) a bunch of film/tv companies launching their own services as competition. A bunch do exist now sure but it's mostly just in the US. And crucially those companies are coming in with a sustainable business plan.

It's definitely the way forward though, the tv subscription via internet model. Makes me wonder what Sky are going to do. The old 'pay £35-a-month for a bunch of shite channels' model and their set top box setup, already feels outdated. There's only so much they can leech off HBO, and amazon are already chipping away at the Premier League rights.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.