Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4334

• nickthegun 22 Feb 2021 10:24:41 85,079 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I know this isnt universal, but sky might come into its own. I keep it because of a few reasons. If I just want to watch TV, I tend to watch it passively otherwise I get paralysed trying to decide what to watch.

Secondly, it almost now acts as a content aggregator. Having content hived off and split across various various platforms is a hassle. If sky can condense most of that down to one platform, Im happy with that.
  • SuperSoupy 22 Feb 2021 10:27:57 267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's kinda why I keep Amazon prime around. It generally has a lot of decent stuff and if there's anything specific I fancy, I can rent it for a bit extra. All in one place. Certainly beats the idea (and effort) of firing up my ancient PC and sailing the high seas for content lol
  • nickthegun 22 Feb 2021 10:29:44 85,079 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Great Outdoors - The forgotten 80s comedy movie. Forgotten because its actually not great. Its got a good cast but it doesnt really do much with them and, crucially, its not very funny.

5/10
  • SuperSoupy 22 Feb 2021 10:36:23 267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To keep things on topic...

Happy Death Day

A fun, though very self-aware take on the Groundhog Day premise with fun horror elements thrown in. In a 'day-that-repeats' movie, it's actually refreshing to have a protagonist who isn't a know-it-all. She's a dumb idiot. And it makes her arc to overcoming her predicament more engaging.

Not brilliant, but a fun place to spend 90 mins.

7 1/2 out of 10

Happy Death Day 2 U

A sequel that spends so long setting up a spin on the 'day that repeats' premise by adding dimensions, it leaves little time to expand on the horror element that gave it a sense of identity in the first place. Once they get going on the dimensions premise things can be interesting. But pacing suffers a lot this time, you'll be wanting this film to just end instead of repeating again. And there are some truly silly moments (the blind/french roommate shtick) that take you out of the film entirely.

5 1/2 out of 10

I'd rewatch the first one, 2nd I can take or leave.
  • RawShark 22 Feb 2021 10:57:04 1,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Happy Death Day was really fun. And actually very funny in places. Never got round to seeing the sequel - I didn't feel like it was ever in dire need of one.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Feb 2021 11:00:03 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The sequel isn't even really a horror movie anymore. It's like this Weird Science sci-fi comedy ripped out of the 1980s. Still heaps of fun, though.
  • JoelStinty 22 Feb 2021 15:22:42 9,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saint Maud

To be honest I wanted to like it more than I did. A carer who has suffered a trauma now lives her life by the word of god. As some good performances and as a couple of unsettling moments but it just didnít really click for me. It might be it works better on a second viewing as itís quite understated or even it might be something I just end up thinking about over time. Just given the plaudits I was expecting more.

3/5
  • Gruff 22 Feb 2021 16:08:07 3,779 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Children Who Chase Lost Voices 6/10 Absolutely gorgeous anime. The artwork really is sublime pretty much throughout.

The story though is your typical Japanese batshit crazy fever dream. Just short of 2 hours as well. Only for the committed, in every sense.

Edited by Gruff at 16:10:41 22-02-2021
  • TechnoHippy 22 Feb 2021 16:55:22 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Black Site

I wanted to like this as the concept appeals to me - there's a secret site that used to banish Elder Gods from our universe. Unfortunately the execution falls short. There's occasional glimpses of what could have been, but it lacks the calibre of people needed to pull it off. Despite it's many issues, I did still find some entertainment from it.

5/10
  • Not-a-reviewer 22 Feb 2021 17:05:05 7,082 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    X2 8/10 much better than the first.

X3 5/10 much worse than the second, a bit worse than the first but not quite as terrible as I remember. Still not good though.

X men first class 8/10 could do with losing 20 minutes somewhere in the middle and Fassbender turning full on Irish near the end is still distracting, heís great otherwise.

Iím was getting a bit bored of Wolverine by the end of x3, heís overused but doesnít really do anything interesting.
  • Dougs 22 Feb 2021 19:32:02 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The Great Outdoors - The forgotten 80s comedy movie. Forgotten because its actually not great. Its got a good cast but it doesnt really do much with them and, crucially, its not very funny.

5/10
    It's on the list to show the kids, after they enjoyed Summer Rental. I have fond memories of it, but that was 35 years ago. :-/
  • nickthegun 22 Feb 2021 19:42:58 85,079 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, me too but it turns out that the three funny things I remembered about it were the only the funny things in the movie and even one of those is a stretch
  • Decks 22 Feb 2021 19:51:43 28,847 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That bears arse used to be some funny shit
  • Tomo 22 Feb 2021 19:56:41 18,984 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Saint Maud

To be honest I wanted to like it more than I did. A carer who has suffered a trauma now lives her life by the word of god. As some good performances and as a couple of unsettling moments but it just didnít really click for me. It might be it works better on a second viewing as itís quite understated or even it might be something I just end up thinking about over time. Just given the plaudits I was expecting more.

I loved it. Thought it was pretty intense and very, very odd. Didn't really get the end immediately, but reading an interview with the director meant it made a lot more sense.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Feb 2021 20:05:06 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:

X3 5/10 much worse than the second, a bit worse than the first but not quite as terrible as I remember. Still not good though.

X men first class 8/10 could do with losing 20 minutes somewhere in the middle and Fassbender turning full on Irish near the end is still distracting, heís great otherwise.

Iím was getting a bit bored of Wolverine by the end of x3, heís overused but doesnít really do anything interesting.
    X3, a film by a garbage director and a garbage person.
  • MoGamer2006 22 Feb 2021 20:08:04 1,084 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JoelStinty Feel much the same. Glad I watched it for the excellent performances and the general mood, but overall came away not really getting what all the fuss was about.
  • MoGamer2006 22 Feb 2021 20:08:04 1,084 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JoelStinty Feel much the same. Glad I watched it for the excellent performances and the general mood, but overall came away not really getting what all the fuss was about.
  • Bichii 22 Feb 2021 20:59:09 4,303 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Hobbit trilogy. I thought it was pretty good but disappointing in the cinema. I haven't watched them for a few years but watched all three over the last two days with the kids. Amazed how much I enjoyed them this time. Sure there are some poor characters, cringy dialogue, too many not needed scenes etc etc but I really loved it this time. It's kind of amazing it wasn't a total disaster when you know what happened before the films were shot. Definitely should have been two movies but anyway yeah I loved them these past two days.

8/10
  • Gruff 22 Feb 2021 21:24:27 3,779 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Likewise, did the same a few weeks back, better than I remembered, probably a 7 for me, last one really drags it down, Thorin character was all over the shop
  • Bichii 22 Feb 2021 21:47:15 4,303 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah they really over played Thorin's gold lust. Could have saved thirty minutes on the final movies run time. Sir Ian McKellen was again outstanding as gandalf and Martin Freeman did great as Bilbo.
  • Your-Mother 22 Feb 2021 22:00:45 6,572 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did you watch the extended ones? I donít dislike the Hobbit films as much as most people but they definitely did not need anything extra added from the theatrical cuts - even they were too long.
  • Bichii 22 Feb 2021 22:03:31 4,303 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah it is all the extended cuts and yeah definitely didn't need more. Tlotr extended added quality to them. The Hobbit was shot as two movies and they only decided to stretch it to three movie after completing initial shooting and then even managed to release three extended cuts!
  • RawShark 22 Feb 2021 22:17:40 1,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I know this isnt universal, but sky might come into its own. I keep it because of a few reasons. If I just want to watch TV, I tend to watch it passively otherwise I get paralysed trying to decide what to watch.

Secondly, it almost now acts as a content aggregator. Having content hived off and split across various various platforms is a hassle. If sky can condense most of that down to one platform, Im happy with that.
    As far as the aggregate model goes - spot on. As well as trying to be seen as a creator of original content (to limited success, so far) Skyís focus at the moment is bringing all the tv together in one place. And to be fair after upgrading to an HDR box earlier this year I havenít used my TVís apps anywhere near as much.

They could really help me out by adding Crunchyroll to the box. As LG donít have that as an app at the moment it requires me booting up the PS4/xbox to watch Attack on Titan. Itís a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience all the same.
  • RawShark 22 Feb 2021 22:20:13 1,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, me too but it turns out that the three funny things I remembered about it were the only the funny things in the movie and even one of those is a stretch
    1. John Candy eats a giant steak.
    2. Talking raccoons.
    3. Bearís arse.

Is that about right?
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 10:38:39 85,079 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was:

1) The waterskiing
    2) The Talking Racoons
    3) The Bear getting shot in the arse

Two points.

The waterskiing bit goes on for far too long and, as a grown up, I just thought 'drop the rope, idiot'.
  • SuperSoupy 23 Feb 2021 16:36:05 267 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OMG John Candy eating the steak! That's brought back some childhood flashbacks!
  • TechnoHippy 23 Feb 2021 17:53:13 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bram Stokers Shadowbuilder

Old school horror with a demon hunting a kid. It's a bit dated, but works quite well.

7/10
  • drhickman1983 23 Feb 2021 18:13:25 7,373 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

I find passive TV viewing quite good. If I'm on my lunch break I can either spend half an hour trying to find something to watch or just stick BBC on and watch whatever is on. Bargain hunt normally.

And that's fine, sometimes i just want something background noise and don't necessarily want to actually watch anything.
  • Your-Mother 23 Feb 2021 18:48:46 6,572 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My go to background noise at the moment is BBQ Pitmasters. Every episode is the same, there's no manufactured drama/human intrigue as is common in most competition shows, it's just fat rednecks cooking gigantic pieces of meat and taking the piss out of each other.
  • Jono62 23 Feb 2021 18:54:32 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:

X3, a film by a garbage director and a garbage person.
    Brett Ratner admits films are total crap.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.