Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4372

  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2021 15:37:55 86,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It does continue the Netflix house style of being too long and having a budget lower than it needed.

    I mean, it’s not the worst movie they have put out by any stretch. It’s not as bad as some of the reviews you will see but your enjoyment does entirely depend on your Melissa McCarthy tolerance level because this is a ‘Melissa McCarthy but Strong’ movie. She overshadows Octavia Spencer to the point you’d just think she was some bum they pulled off the street. She’s so low key and low energy, you’d think she was starring in this at gunpoint.
  • Gruff 11 Apr 2021 15:50:52 3,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    Has anyone seen "Nightingale"? I've heard it's grim as fuck and has at least one drawn out rape scene. Just wondering exactly how depressing it is so I can save it for the right occasion
    It's pretty grim. Less exploitative and skeezy than your average rape revenge thriller, but it's still in that genre. Just a bit more highbrow.
    I'd agree with this - enjoy probably isn't the right word, but I though it was a decent film - well worth a watch.
    I third that, loved it myself, the atmosphere is what stood out for me. That and the hateful officer.

    Also have a new Aussie film teed up for tonight, High Ground, looks interesting.

    The Infiltrator 5/10 By the numbers Bryan Cranston 80's cocaine thriller, doesn't do anything special to recommend it and not overly thrilling.

    Edited by Gruff at 15:57:58 11-04-2021
  • TechnoHippy 11 Apr 2021 18:35:13 18,993 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Backtrace

    Stallone is a cop investigating a heist. It's ok, the main weakness for me was the memory mechanic, but some of it was quite obvious. But it does enough to keep things ticking along, although the ending also felt too drawn out.

    5/10
  • Bichii 11 Apr 2021 18:38:50 4,515 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes day on netflix.

    Pure family cheese but I surprisingly loved it.

    7.5/10
  • Rum_Monkey 11 Apr 2021 18:39:20 2,666 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Has Bryan Cranston done anything good since BB?
  • Baihu1983 11 Apr 2021 18:47:19 13,799 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Power Rangers
  • Youthist 11 Apr 2021 18:55:57 14,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Has Bryan Cranston done anything good since BB?
    Yes
  • RawShark 11 Apr 2021 18:59:27 1,742 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I’ve said it before - Melissa McCarthy does not do middle ground. It’s either excellent or abysmal, and you can usually tell which before you start. The one surprise for me was Spy, which I was expecting to hate but in fact loved.
  • JamboWayOh 11 Apr 2021 19:04:03 23,750 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    She's always been more on the terrible spectrum for me. Especially the one's directed by her husband
  • RawShark 11 Apr 2021 19:08:45 1,742 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah Falcone has a solid 100% record of making shit.
  • Baihu1983 11 Apr 2021 19:36:19 13,799 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think I've only liked Spy and Identity Thief and that's more because of the other cast members
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2021 20:17:32 99,017 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:


    All that said the girl and the Mrs enjoyed it, so what do I know?
    Different strokes and all that innit, but I have such a low tolerance for shit films. My wife will try to glean a positive from the shittest if films but I just can't.

    Anyway, Infinity War and Endgame. 3rd time for each and I am not ashamed to say I still love them both. Impressive to bring it all together. Eldest finally realises why he was confused by the 3rd episode of Wandavision...
  • binky Moderator 12 Apr 2021 09:27:54 11,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Palm Springs

    A modern retelling of Groundhog Day but, you know, better. Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti had fantastic chemistry, and at a 90 mins runtime it is never outstays its welcome.

    80 beers / 100
  • binky Moderator 12 Apr 2021 09:33:06 11,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Run

    I like Sarah Paulson, but I'm not sure I've seen her in anything that's actually good (Seasons 1 & 2 of American Horror aside).

    This was totally by the numbers with no surprises or original thoughts whatsoever. Think Misery, but shit.

    20 cut phone cords/100
  • Nanocrystal 12 Apr 2021 09:33:33 2,401 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Better than Groundhog Day? That's quite the claim.
  • chopsen 12 Apr 2021 09:39:08 21,866 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Humour can really date things, and the humour in Palm Springs is more "current." Having seen Groundhog Day recently, it is very much of it's time.

    Palm Springs is very derivative. It obviously would not exist without Groundhog Day, and it has point for point plot points in common with Map of Tiny Perfrect Things. No idea which stole from which, but the similarities are too, er, similar for it be a coincidence.

    But yeah, Palm Springs is very good, and is funnier.
  • binky Moderator 12 Apr 2021 09:40:59 11,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Nanocrystal I love Harold Ramis and Bill Murray as much as the next man, but I've never understood the continued adoration of this one. As a romantic movie, it's passable, as a comedy... I just don't get it. It's the very definition of bang average.
  • chopsen 12 Apr 2021 09:43:05 21,866 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bit inconsistent slating it for being "average" when praising something else that totally rips it off :)
  • binky Moderator 12 Apr 2021 09:45:00 11,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I disagree. By that rationale you're saying you can never improve on something?

    Edited by binky at 09:45:13 12-04-2021
  • Jono62 12 Apr 2021 09:45:12 26,845 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Has Bryan Cranston done anything good since BB?
    Your Honour is decent.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2021 09:45:58 25,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I mean, even if it was average there's no denying the influence it's had on other movies. It created a whole mini genre!

    Edit: referring to Groundhog Day

    Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:48:20 12-04-2021
  • binky Moderator 12 Apr 2021 09:46:05 11,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    it has point for point plot points in common with Map of Tiny Perfrect Things. No idea which stole from which, but the similarities are too, er, similar for it be a coincidence.
    I'll have to look that one up, I hadn't heard of it.
  • binky Moderator 12 Apr 2021 09:47:16 11,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I mean, even if it was average there's no denying the influence it's had on other movies. It created a whole mini genre!
    Very true.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2021 09:52:42 25,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And not just movies either. If you ever say to anyone "my life feels like Groundhog Day" or whatever, they instantly know what you are talking about. There's not many movies I can think of that have reached that level of recognition, to the point that they've basically become their own English expression.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2021 09:59:18 86,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Groundhog Day is a template movie, same as Halloween or Jaws and I do think its genuinely and rightly considered one of the greats. The writing is great, the direction is great and Murray is fantastic.
  • binky Moderator 12 Apr 2021 10:06:02 11,136 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And not just movies either. If you ever say to anyone "my life feels like Groundhog Day" or whatever, they instantly know what you are talking about. There's not many movies I can think of that have reached that level of recognition, to the point that they've basically become their own English expression.
    Again, I don't disagree. I just don't think it's a particularly funny comedy. I thought that at the time I watched it at the cinema, and I thought it again when I watched it last year to try to see what all the fuss was about.

    It's fine, I just don't understand how it tops movie comedy lists. These things are totally subjective though, so... yeah.
  • nickthegun 12 Apr 2021 10:11:32 86,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Its a comedy like Ghostbusters. Not LOL JOKES funny but the comedy is in the absurd situation and the straight(ish) leads reaction to it.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2021 10:14:08 25,701 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And not just movies either. If you ever say to anyone "my life feels like Groundhog Day" or whatever, they instantly know what you are talking about. There's not many movies I can think of that have reached that level of recognition, to the point that they've basically become their own English expression.
    Again, I don't disagree. I just don't think it's a particularly funny comedy. I thought that at the time I watched it at the cinema, and I thought it again when I watched it last year to try to see what all the fuss was about.

    It's fine, I just don't understand how it tops movie comedy lists. These things are totally subjective though, so... yeah.
    Yeah totally, whether it's any good or not is subjective (fwiw I sort of agree with you in that I don't laugh at it all that much). But objectively speaking, it's right up there with the most influential movies of all time.
  • Dougs 12 Apr 2021 12:28:31 99,017 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Groundhog Day is a proper, bonafide classic. Peak Murray imo. Haven't watched Palm Springs but interest piqued now it's been compared to GD.
  • Tomo 12 Apr 2021 12:39:49 19,292 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    Has anyone seen "Nightingale"? I've heard it's grim as fuck and has at least one drawn out rape scene. Just wondering exactly how depressing it is so I can save it for the right occasion
    It's pretty grim. Less exploitative and skeezy than your average rape revenge thriller, but it's still in that genre. Just a bit more highbrow.
    I'd agree with this - enjoy probably isn't the right word, but I though it was a decent film - well worth a watch.
    I third that, loved it myself, the atmosphere is what stood out for me. That and the hateful officer.

    I'll go against the grain here and say it was some horrible shit. I found it pretty drawn out and crass. Feels a bit more highbrow because it's well shot etc, but I didn't think it justified its own nastiness. I do remember coming away thinking am I just getting older and less interested in edgelord horror films, or was it just a bit shit. Mainly the latter I think. So YMMV.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.