• TechnoHippy 12 Apr 2021 12:40:50 19,001 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wait - we have a moderator now? :-)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2021 13:59:43 17,465 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    X-Men Dark Phoenix

Not as bad as I was expecting but just underwhelming and a bit dull.

Not able to tell the full cosmic scale of the comic version theyíve gone for a more grounded emotional telling of the tale. But like when they did it in Last Stand, perhaps even moreso this time, theyíve not done the groundwork to make us feel like that emotional story is justified.

All the messing about with timelines in the films since First Class just means thereís no reason to get attached to whoever is in the team. And the focus on star appearances like Jennifer Lawrence and Hugh Jackman in previous films means none of this team are particularly well developed characters.

The result being a film that is both a slow paced drag and which rushes its story.

Considering both versions of Phoenix have made largely the same mistakes I donít think its possible to do it justice in one film. A two-parter would fit. Thats how they did it in the 90s cartoon telling Phoenix in 5 episodes then Dark Phoenix in 4 later in the season. The original comic has a similar structure too.

If this is the end of the McAvoy X-Men then I guess its a good place to leave it. The franchise has been running out of steam and theyíve been making the same mistakes over and over. The best X-Men films (X-Men, X2, First Class and Logan) were all character driven. Same for The Wolverine which is only ok. The bad and iffy ones all seem to think that just plucking a headline iconic story from the comics is enough alone. I know the MCU is exceptional but in those hands Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix would be big full stop climaxes not just next in the sequence.

Hopefully the rights reverting to Disney/Marvel will see them remember that X-Men is best when character driven and that thereís depth to the mutant struggle not just another vehicle for shouting and particle effects.

6/10
  • RawShark 12 Apr 2021 15:22:13 1,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I'd be OK if they left the X-Men series at that. It might suit a TV series struture better, but that market is pretty flooded right now.
  • MasterOfSpin 12 Apr 2021 15:30:14 64 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Dredd - Thought it would be mindless nonsense, and it kind of is. But it is equally brilliant and nails its particular genre! Been the first film I've watched in ages that I haven't wanted to fast forward.

I particularly loved that when a significant bad guy dies they always suffer a little, perhaps even reflecting on the poor decisions they made.

9/10

Edited by MasterOfSpin at 16:00:25 12-04-2021
  • TOOTR 12 Apr 2021 16:48:24 10,458 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Shazam

DC movie that's adult yet goofy and packed with humour and heart. Really surprised how much I enjoyed it.

7.5/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2021 19:22:47 17,465 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Yeah I'd be OK if they left the X-Men series at that. It might suit a TV series struture better, but that market is pretty flooded right now.
    I think another movie series would work but they need to have some discipline and settle on a fixed team and plan ahead with the villains instead of just thinking throwing big names at it is good enough.

Remembering that its a team not the Wolverine or Mystique show would help too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Apr 2021 19:24:38 17,465 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MasterOfSpin I really hope Rebellion can pull off the Mega City One tv show.

They were boasting about using the same tech as Mandalorian so it it should look the part
  • Lotos8ter 13 Apr 2021 06:06:22 3,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sound of Metal 9/10 (Free via AZ Prime)

Superbly acted film about a couple of musicians on a tour of the US when the drummer loses his hearing. Thereís issues of addiction and itís very moving and really well paced. The sound (or lack of it) is particularly well done. Highly recommended.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Apr 2021 08:17:06 19,001 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Sound of Metal 9/10 (Free via AZ Prime)

Superbly acted film about a couple of musicians on a tour of the US when the drummer loses his hearing. Thereís issues of addiction and itís very moving and really well paced. The sound (or lack of it) is particularly well done. Highly recommended.
    I pretty much agree with this. A tight story, with excellent performances and some superb sound design.

I thought it was a real drummer at first as he looked familiar, but apparently not :-)
  • Rum_Monkey 13 Apr 2021 09:23:21 2,673 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Event Horizon

Last saw it when I was about 10 and didn't like it because it wasn't Aliens. Turns out I was right about not liking it, it's not a very good film. Everything feels rushed and everything goes crazy far too quickly. It's like whole scenes were missing.

Sam Neil really reminds me of Pierce Brosnan too. Not sure who the Aldi version is of the other.

5/10

Edited by Rum_Monkey at 09:45:29 13-04-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 09:24:31 17,465 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ban request
  • captbirdseye 13 Apr 2021 09:28:42 10,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The RLM video on this film yesterday was pretty good. Best unofficial Warhammer movie.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 09:48:29 17,465 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spider-man (2002)

19 years old and still holds up amazingly well.

Some very early 00s touches like a Macy Gray concert, a high school populated entirely by students in their 30s, a few dated special effects shots and the cinematography is of its time. But really a lot of the effects still look decent, thereís certainly been some worse in a few recent superhero films.

JK Simmons and Willem Defoe are chewing the walls like maniacs and Sam Raimi is clearly having a lot of fun.

Its pretty clear that this is the template for basically every superhero movie, especially origins, since. Thereís so much in it that Marvel still do now even if this is more comic booky than the current MCU.

9/10
  • captbirdseye 13 Apr 2021 09:50:43 10,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You missed the best Randy Savage performance.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 09:56:08 17,465 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He is incredible.

Iíd also completely forgotten that the upside-down kiss was after he saved Mary Jane from being gang-raped. I donít think Disney would let them imply that was happening now.
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Apr 2021 10:48:22 5,196 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rock n Rolla

Never saw it until yesterday on netflix, I use to work with some twat who got obsessed with the film when he first saw in 2018. (wouldn't shut up about for weeks as he called himself the "rock n roller"

The film is really bad, awful cartoon quality characters, the script is cringe and it feels dated. So glad they didn't make a sequel as threatened at the end

2/10
  • RawShark 13 Apr 2021 11:41:18 1,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Star Wars chat on the MCU thread reminded me, Disney+ has put up some of the lesser known Star War films and series. Caravan of Courage and the like. I donít think Iím brave enough to attempt the Ewok films or Saturday morning cartoon, but I will give the re-edited clone wars cartoon a go at some point.

Meanwhile this was also added:

Star Wars: The Faithful Wookie

So this is the animated bit of the Star Wars Holiday Special re-edited into a ten minute long cartoon. The original cast all gave their voices, although Harrison Ford seems to have done it under duress. It was also the debut of Boba Fett, who convinces everyone he is their friend by repeatedly telling everyone he is their friend. Meanwhile Chewbacca gets the title credit, despite doing very little at all.

Itís an odd little thing. The art style is very seventies and Ralph Bakshi-ish. Iím surprised the animation was as smooth as it is. But everyone does look a bit weird - especially Han Solo who seems to be based on a Siamese cat.

Itís nothing more than a curio, really. But considering how bad the Holiday Special was itís good to have the one half-decent part of it extracted and presented like this.

7/10
  • JamboWayOh 13 Apr 2021 12:44:03 23,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    He is incredible.

Iíd also completely forgotten that the upside-down kiss was after he saved Mary Jane from being gang-raped. I donít think Disney would let them imply that was happening now.
    They just wanted to talk to her. Everyone is so quick to jump to gangrape these days.
  • RawShark 13 Apr 2021 13:20:28 1,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One was going to offer her his coat to protect her modesty.

Did Disney CG out her nips?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 13:59:17 17,465 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was my old DVD copy, the only Spiderman on Disney are the cartoons
  • RawShark 13 Apr 2021 14:01:57 1,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh right. Do they not have the MCU ones?
  • MasterOfSpin 13 Apr 2021 14:02:43 64 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Event Horizon

Last saw it when I was about 10 and didn't like it because it wasn't Aliens. Turns out I was right about not liking it, it's not a very good film. Everything feels rushed and everything goes crazy far too quickly. It's like whole scenes were missing.

Sam Neil really reminds me of Pierce Brosnan too. Not sure who the Aldi version is of the other.

5/10
    Totally agree. It always gets held up as a great example of cosmic horror or sci-fi horror, but it is really poorly put together. The story itself is good, but the execution is a total bodge.
  • Not-a-reviewer 13 Apr 2021 14:04:12 7,309 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    No, Sony own them and donít seem to want to put them on Disney. They prefer Netflix.
  • QBX 13 Apr 2021 14:05:42 229 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Land of Mine

A group of teenage German POWs have to clear a minefield on a beach off the coast of Denmark at the end of the war.

As expected it's beautifully shot and acted from both sides as the Dutch officer supervising the group grows to see the inhumanity in what is happening and the boys themselves dream of returning home to restart their lives.

There are a couple of wrinkles that didn't quite sit with me but they don't detract from what is an enjoyable and powerful film about forgiveness.

9/10
  • RawShark 13 Apr 2021 14:08:03 1,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    No, Sony own them and donít seem to want to put them on Disney. They prefer Netflix.
    Well that explains the nips then.
  • brokenkey 13 Apr 2021 14:51:26 10,948 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Palm Springs. 8/10

A romatic take on Groundhog Day. Very enjoyable

Kong vs Godzilla. 7.5/10

Good monster romp.
  • Khanivor 13 Apr 2021 17:10:02 44,732 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Raya and the Last Dragon - 7/10

First cinema trip since 2019 for the kidís 8th birthday.

Itís a perfectly decent film. Looks great, has an engaging plot that is lean while giving time for characters to develop. It does nothing really surprising, although the climax develops in a brave way for a Princess movie.

I think this will be perfectly acceptable on repeated viewings, although it will never come close to the desirability of rewatching Moana, a bonafide 10/10 I want to go watch again now Iíve thought of it

Edited by Khanivor at 17:10:25 13-04-2021
  • Nexus_6 13 Apr 2021 17:46:04 6,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I like the cut of your jib young man
  • Baihu1983 13 Apr 2021 17:51:37 13,807 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Event Horizon

5/10

If I remember rightly a lot got cut? And the footage was lost so a directors cut wasn't possible.
  • Your-Mother 13 Apr 2021 17:58:32 7,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Event Horizon works best when thought of as a Warhammer 40k prequel.

EDIT: I see someone's already pointed that one out.

Edited by Your-Mother at 17:59:14 13-04-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.