Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4374

• Decks 13 Apr 2021 18:04:29 29,765 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really liked Event Horizon. I haven't watched it for about 15 years so that may be different now. I remember Sam Neill puffing his chest out as he ran around in his underpants.
  • Rum_Monkey 13 Apr 2021 18:11:13 2,673 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Makes more sense that a lot got cut, everything seems so rushed. There's a good film in there but the one there is, is poor.

Surprised it was made by that shit Resi Evil guy.
  • captbirdseye 13 Apr 2021 18:32:57 10,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's a petty good film apart from the Cooper character who feels like he walked into the wrong film set.
  • Nexus_6 13 Apr 2021 19:24:06 6,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I recall seeing this at the cinema. I enjoyed it a lot at the time and still get a lot out of it on the odd rewatch.
    As most others have said, thinking of it as a Warhammer origin type story adds another level of enjoyment.
    It’s a decent film.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 19:30:20 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently the gore orgy was about ten minutes long before the studio saw it.

I’ve always thought of it as Hellraiser in space.

(ignoring that that is also its own movie already)
  • anephric 13 Apr 2021 19:53:58 4,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Its probably Anderson's best film, although that's a low, loooww bar.

The production design makes it seem a lot better than it actually is.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Apr 2021 20:07:54 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There’s no probably about it. Its almost like it was made by a different person.
  • bone-on 13 Apr 2021 20:11:12 735 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Its probably Anderson's best film, although that's a low, loooww bar.

The production design makes it seem a lot better than it actually is.
    My guilty pleasure is Anderson's Kurt Russell film Soldier.

I think that's his best film.
  • Your-Mother 13 Apr 2021 20:12:20 7,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Soldier is actually a sequel/spin-off from Blade Runner, fact fans.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Apr 2021 20:19:57 23,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Soldier is actually a sequel/spin-off from Blade Runner, fact fans.
    Do tell...
  • captbirdseye 13 Apr 2021 20:21:02 10,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's set in the same fictional universe and written by the same script writer.
  • dfunked09 13 Apr 2021 20:21:30 1,993 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    First I'd heard of it too (or this film TBH)

Wikipedia backs it up;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldier_(1998_American_film)#Connection_with_Blade_Runner_franchise
  • JamboWayOh 13 Apr 2021 20:35:21 23,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well suck on my balls and call it pudding...
  • anephric 13 Apr 2021 20:53:42 4,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, they were written by the same guy, which is why.

Soldier was apparently one of the hawtest unmade scripts for years, before Anderson got his hands on it.

It was pretty expensive, not that you'd know to look at it now, although Russell's cheque ate up a lot of that.
  • Technoishmatt 13 Apr 2021 20:56:39 5,135 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember quite liking that film. Seems like buying it for 8 quid is only legal way to stream it ffs.
  • Your-Mother 13 Apr 2021 20:57:53 7,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I like it, it's pretty cheesy though. Just like Jaws.
  • anephric 13 Apr 2021 21:34:39 4,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's cheesy as fuck. The model work is horrible.

The opening with the Darwinian soldier training is still pretty effective though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 13:48:26 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watched the RLM re:View of Event Horizon.

Fun watch as always but didn’t think they’d be so critical
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Apr 2021 13:56:08 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spider-Man 2

The Sam Raimi one. A masterpiece and it feels like Raimi has been given a lot more freedom than first time around.

Its a lot more comic booky this time, but having a villain as good as Doc Ock and the emotional connection established between Peter, Harry and Mary Jane means its got more weight to it too.

Bruce Campbell kills it in his cameo again too.

9.5/10
  • TechnoHippy 15 Apr 2021 13:54:39 19,001 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hellraiser Judgement

Considering that most of the sequels were average at best, I wasn't expecting much, but it failed to even meet even that low bar. It kinda misses the point of the cenobites and doesn't even have Doug Bradley as Pinhead - instead there's some awful knock off version. I think it was all acted by a local amateur dramatics society.

It does manage some effective moments, and would have been marginally better if they hadn't tried to pass it off as Hellraiser.

3/10
  • Tomo 15 Apr 2021 13:57:42 19,302 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Seems there is a Hellraiser series in the works at HBO, which is quite exciting news.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Apr 2021 14:03:47 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spider-Man 3

Its not as bad as I remembered but its a real mess. Too many villains, the tone is up and down all over the place and it feels like Sam Raimi has none of the freedom he did previously.

There’s probably a good continuation of the previous films in the arc of Peter being full of his own shit and ignoring Mary Jane / Harry’s revenge buried among the nonsense. James Franco is so good at turning on the sinister as Harry. Less so when he busts out the flying skateboard.

Basically none of the Venom stuff works. Its not necessarily all bad but none of it belongs in this film. Peter’s behaviour before the symbiote arrives shows they could have told the jealously and him going off the rails with his ego stuff without it perfectly naturally.

Cocky emo Peter doesn’t really offend since its sort of the logical conclusion of where he was headed anyway. He’s basically a nerdy “nice boy” potential incel who suddenly has the power to act out his fantasies. Punching his ex was a bit much though.

Sandman as a secondary villain to add some colour is decent enough the retcon of Uncle Ben’s death is another unnecessary touch.

Its a real shame Sam Raimi wasn’t allowed to do his version of Lizard or Vulture like he wanted.

6.5/10

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 14:05:16 15-04-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Apr 2021 14:07:07 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bruce Campbell as a snooty French waiter is next level. The best of his appearances.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Apr 2021 14:14:30 23,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spider Man 3 is one of those films where I don't know who it's for, it's definitely not for kids as it takes about 40 odd minutes to have spiderman in costume show up and I doubt children would be bothered about MJ's Broadway career., it's not for fans of the character as it has all these weird dance numbers and singing. Like you say it has all these characters going on with no room to breathe. The main character in this film really though is coincidence. I know films have to do things to get stuff running but the coincidences in this film are bafflingly stupid.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Apr 2021 14:23:29 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And the final battle narrated by a random British news reporter in what appears to be a first take of her reading lines from cue cards she’s never seen before is a terrible decision
  • RawShark 15 Apr 2021 14:39:48 1,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Being a huge fan of the first two Raimi films, Spider-Man 3 will always be the biggest cinematic disappointment I have ever come across. I've gone back and tried to look at it objectively a number of times but I just can't. It's like seeing someone post a sex tape of an ex-girlfriend you still have feelings for... but with a ill-thought out jazz dance scene in the middle.

It's an alien suit that brings out the darkest aspect of the person it inhabits... which for Peter Parker is seventies strutting and selfishly eating cookies. It's a film that straight up just gets everything wrong. If I didn't know better I'd swear Sam Raimi just said "fuck it" and sabotaged the whole thing.
  • MacReadysChessWizard 15 Apr 2021 14:52:53 105 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Amazon Prime has some cracking old stuff on there at the moment:

Re-Animator

The full, completely unmolested version which features a lot more..molesting, plus gore. Everyone's actually really decent in it, and, like proper horror-comedy, are all playing it straight.

80 severed heads sucking on titties/100

King Of New York

Not as good as I remember it, but (nearly) every scene with Walken is fucking brilliant; there's some really awkward moments (Walken and Larry Fishface doing weird voices when they meet up), and everyone is wearing shades at night cos it's the late Eighties/early Nineties. Caruso doing the same angry, perplexed schtick he seems to have made a career out of, and Wesley Snipes being a goody.

72 litres of greaseball piss on my shoes/100
    I also watched:

Escape From The Bronx
    Wheels Of Fire
    Slave Of The Cannibal God

..and only the last one is worthy of note cos of Ursula Andress being nuddie, and a dodgy castration. Actual animal nastiness makes it pretty fucking vile.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Apr 2021 14:59:43 23,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    And the final battle narrated by a random British news reporter in what appears to be a first take of her reading lines from cue cards she’s never seen before is a terrible decision
    Oh God, that whole bit is excruciating.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Apr 2021 19:40:29 17,465 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    If I didn't know better I'd swear Sam Raimi just said "fuck it" and sabotaged the whole thing.
    He does seem determined not to give the execs the film they wanted if they wouldn’t let him make the film he wanted
  • Your-Mother 15 Apr 2021 19:56:56 7,368 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    If I didn't know better I'd swear Sam Raimi just said "fuck it" and sabotaged the whole thing.
    He does seem determined not to give the execs the film they wanted if they wouldn’t let him make the film he wanted
    This is widely believed to be the actual case, that fucking up the film was him getting back at studio interference. He’s on record as saying he hated Venom and didn’t believe in any of the new characters, and the story he wanted to tell (Vulture) was completely obliterated by Avi Arad. It didn’t actually review too badly on release, but time has absolutely not been kind to it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.