Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Jablonski is back.
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 May 2021 23:22:21 6,371 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Heat (1995)

I remember watching this in a completely empty cinema in 1995 and it a) makes me happy I can remember it with such clarity 25 years on and b) makes me feel very old.

This is still magnificent, aside from the odd clunky line here and there but that's par for the course with Mann and his macho characters - conversations are ON THE NOSE.

Pacino takes some flak for being too far into his hammy years here but he's still great. De Niro is icily professional like something out of Le Samourai.

It's the quintessential Michael Mann film, probably, as it was obviously intended to be, he threw everything into it. I still prefer Thief as it has the same themes but more distilled and less blustery but still, Heat is fucking magnificent and makes me sad Mann doesn't make more films, I was one of the 13 people who liked Blackhat.

10/10
    Huge fan of Michael Mann myself, with Heat and Collateral being personal favourites.

I never got around to Blackhat because of the reviews, but Im planning on it. Id love to see Mann come back and do another action moviewe need both him and George Miller to make as many movies as possible.
  • Load_2.0 3 May 2021 23:31:20 33,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Go in with low expectations. I'm a big Mann fan (Matron) but Blackhat is a bit of a stinker.
  • Zerobob 3 May 2021 23:33:22 2,939 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Starship Troopers - 10/10

This has everything you could ever want from a film. A driven, perfectly paced plot, full of intrigue. Likeable (and detestable) characters. Satire. Great action end heroism. A great score to boot.

I've watched it many times and it's true genius is that - just like I did when I was younger - you can take it's story at face value and still gain great enjoyment from it, but you can also watch it and bathe in the satire as an enlightened adult.

You could call me a dummy for taking the film at face value... I was young and impressionable, and much of the politics went over my head.

... But it's the way the film manages to maintain these two faces simultaneously that makes it so impressive. I just love it. Utterly underrated and misunderstood.
  • RawShark 3 May 2021 23:45:13 1,770 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Starship Troopers - 10/10

This has everything you could ever want from a film. A driven, perfectly paced plot, full of intrigue. Likeable (and detestable) characters. Satire. Great action end heroism. A great score to boot.

I've watched it many times and it's true genius is that - just like I did when I was younger - you can take it's story at face value and still gain great enjoyment from it, but you can also watch it and bathe in the satire as an enlightened adult.

You could call me a dummy for taking the film at face value... I was young and impressionable, and much of the politics went over my head.

... But it's the way the film manages to maintain these two faces simultaneously that makes it so impressive. I just love it. Utterly underrated and misunderstood.
    Id like to know more.
  • Tomo 3 May 2021 23:50:15 19,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I love ST as well. Great world building and action with a sprinkling of satire.
  • Tomo 3 May 2021 23:52:38 19,319 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Total Recall is the ultimate bestest, dare I say, lowbrow sci-fi though. Love it so much.
  • anephric 4 May 2021 01:00:30 5,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Go in with low expectations. I'm a big Mann fan (Matron) but Blackhat is a bit of a stinker.
    If you are willing to go yarring on the high seas of yarr, there is (inevitably for Mann) a director's cut of Blackhat that improves it slightly that was done for cable in the states, but has been unreleased anywhere else, including on disc or streaming.

I don't get why it was slated so much: it's not top-tier Mann by any chalk but it's a solid 7/10 for me, not the shithat-level reviews it mostly got.
  • RawShark 4 May 2021 04:24:31 1,770 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Total Recall is the ultimate bestest, dare I say, lowbrow sci-fi though. Love it so much.
    Personally I consider a three titted woman to be the height of culture.
  • JoeBlade 4 May 2021 06:38:01 6,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Utterly underrated and misunderstood.
    Is it? I thought it got both good reviews and a lot of cinema goers? Plus as far as I know most viewers got the cynical/sarcastic angle all too well.
  • dominalien 4 May 2021 06:38:36 10,476 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Starship Troopers is amazing.
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2021 06:43:26 25,729 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:
    Is it? I thought it got both good reviews and a lot of cinema goers? Plus as far as I know most viewers got the cynical/sarcastic angle all too well.
    Yeah. And from what I remember, the guy who wrote the book it was based on did not appreciate the satirical angle at all. The book was meant to be unironic military sci-fi, and he fucking hated the movie for basically calling him a fascist.
  • Decks 4 May 2021 06:46:42 29,821 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine Starship Troopers is cutting edge satire for people that grew watching Weekend at Bernie's.
  • Zerobob 4 May 2021 07:51:28 2,939 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:
    Yeah. And from what I remember, the guy who wrote the book it was based on did not appreciate the satirical angle at all. The book was meant to be unironic military sci-fi, and he fucking hated the movie for basically calling him a fascist.
    Yes this is true. The original Starship Troopers serial wasn't satirical at all, but received huge praise and was groundbreaking in some ways.

The film didn't get particularly great reviews, and was mainly honoured for its visual effects at the time. Maybe it was written off as a dumb action movie, or people didn't agree with the film's message, who knows.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 07:57:41 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember people absolutely not getting the satire when the movie first came out and it reviewing badly because of it.
  • boo 4 May 2021 08:26:35 13,807 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd completely forgotten that Neil Patrick Harris was in Starship Troopers. I just looked up some stills from it and thought "What's Barney doing there?"
  • TechnoHippy 4 May 2021 08:39:46 19,031 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Starship Troopers is also an excellent film for winding up the book nerds :-)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 May 2021 09:08:15 33,777 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Run - 4/10

Misery without any tension or excitement.
  • SuperSoupy 4 May 2021 09:09:01 285 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really wish Paul Verhoeven would make a George Miller-esque comeback and do one more Hollywood Sci-Fi film.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 May 2021 09:12:44 33,777 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Without Remorse - 5/10

Bland and pointless action film, much like that forgettable Hemsworth thing from a while back, with the faintest whiff of an attempt at some sort of Clancy conspiracy plot.
  • chopsen 4 May 2021 10:02:34 21,884 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Starship Troopers is also an excellent film for winding up the book nerds :-)
    The book *is* shit tho. I really don't get why anybody rates it.
  • dominalien 4 May 2021 10:56:29 10,476 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    People rate the shittiest things.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 11:07:18 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    People rate the shittiest things.
    New Stephen Mulhern show starting on ITV this summer
  • kentmonkey 4 May 2021 11:43:04 24,254 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mitchell's Vs the machines

Received high praise on here so gave it a watch after just finished (the excellent) Invincible series.

It was alright I guess.

It has some great voiceover work, and some interesting hints at messages about society... but felt like it got stuck in that lost land of 'is this for kids or adults' and the messages kinda didn't go anywhere much.

It was also a strange world where 4/5g didn't seem to exist.

Perfectly watchable but nothing more for me.

• robthehermit 4 May 2021 11:53:12 8,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Eagle Eye - Netflix.

Shitty the Beef gets chased by Billy Bob and the military while taking instructions from a mystery voice on the phone because reasons, people die and stuff blows up. It's completely ridiculous but reasonably inoffensive.

Better than the snooker/10
  • RyanDS 4 May 2021 13:22:39 13,983 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:
    Tge guy who wrote the book died in 1988 so that is some ouija board!
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2021 13:48:00 25,729 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:
    Tge guy who wrote the book died in 1988 so that is some ouija board!
    Huh. Guess I got my wires crossed then! It's weird, I could have sworn that he'd commented on the movie, but maybe it was one of his fans or something.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 May 2021 13:55:37 17,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nomadland - Disney+

Beautiful, bleak and melancholic. America is a pretty depressing place for such a spectacular country.

9/10
  • anephric 4 May 2021 17:56:42 5,000 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bob Heinlein also enjoyed shooting his neighbours' cats, so there's that.

He wasn't an especially nice chap (and was downright contrary, embracing free love and drugs but hating half of the hippie stuff that came along with it). Fans of the book got all a-tizzy because it's essentially a manual for neocon Nazism with service to the state (essentially America's obsession with the military and 'thank you for your service') elevating your value as a citizen. Heinlein was obsessed with military service as his family was steeped in it and he was the first generation who didn't get to fight in a war.
    Verhoeven just rightly emphasized the fascistic elements of this.

You only have to read Stranger in a Strange Land to understand how weirdly schismatic a person he was.
  • Youthist 4 May 2021 20:43:16 14,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Without Remorse - 5/10

Bland and pointless action film, much like that forgettable Hemsworth thing from a while back, with the faintest whiff of an attempt at some sort of Clancy conspiracy plot.
    How dare you say that about Extraction - its great fun.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.