Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4427

  • drhickman1983 15 Jun 2021 10:15:46 7,763 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    I just remembered there was a Highlander TV series on Sky back in the nineties. It was on Sky all the time. Cannot remember a thing about it other than it having a pretty boss Queen theme tune. It was on at about six o'clock though so I doubt there were many beheadings.
    it beheadings, and there was a mini-quickening each time. It was edited and framed with discretion shots to avoid being overly graphic.

    Basically it had a similar set up, where Immortals would fight each other, but there were a lot more Immortals. Also had mortal factions who observed the Immortals, think some actively hunted them.

    Edited by drhickman1983 at 10:16:15 15-06-2021
  • nickthegun 15 Jun 2021 11:30:04 87,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Devil Below - I take it back. This is actually the worst netflix movie I've watched.

    A group of dickheads get murdered by CHUDS while the locals inexplicably try to stop anyone finding out about it.

    Absolute bullshit. The creature design seems kind of cool but they put on a weird lens effect every time the camera looks at one so it might actually be crap.

    Yet another one that is far too boring to be 'so bad its good'.

    1/10
  • anephric 15 Jun 2021 17:18:55 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I remember seeing Roland Gift in Hull in a late-night convenience store around the time he was in Highlander the TV series (1997ish). It was like 3AM and I was in there with my fairly druggy girlfriend buying munchies and he was buying spoons.

    This was famously around the time he had a bit of a meltdown and didn't want to be famous. And also apparently went late-night spoon shopping, which seems totally legit if you need a new rig.

    Edited by anephric at 17:19:16 15-06-2021
  • creepiest-lizard 15 Jun 2021 17:20:21 2,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun
    Fuck, I was going to watch that tonight.
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Jun 2021 17:22:59 14,313 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Truly a gift to celluloid

    https://youtu.be/wm1-NoqM7Kc
  • anephric 15 Jun 2021 17:27:15 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Truly a gift to celluloid

    https://youtu.be/wm1-NoqM7Kc
    Hey, he's not bad at the actual fighting. It's better than I remember.

    Fuck me, I haven't watched that in 25 years. The shit we used to watch on Sky when there was nothing else to do in my shitty student digs.

    Although we did have Sky.
  • nickthegun 15 Jun 2021 17:27:25 87,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @nickthegun
    Fuck, I was going to watch that tonight.
    I mean, donít let me stop you. You might like it. I just thought it was absolutely wank.
  • anephric 15 Jun 2021 17:29:11 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also, Paul Heaton regularly bought rounds in the local pub, he was a fixture. Fucked if I can remember what the pub was called though, it's all... a blur?

    Edited by anephric at 17:29:28 15-06-2021
  • creepiest-lizard 15 Jun 2021 17:30:17 2,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @nickthegun
    Fuck, I was going to watch that tonight.
    I mean, donít let me stop you. You might like it. I just thought it was absolutely wank.
    Nah, I get the impression your review would be bang on. Plenty on Shudder to watch. I quite like the look of Summer of 84.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Jun 2021 17:46:56 19,729 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    I just remembered there was a Highlander TV series on Sky back in the nineties. It was on Sky all the time. Cannot remember a thing about it other than it having a pretty boss Queen theme tune. It was on at about six o'clock though so I doubt there were many beheadings.
    it beheadings, and there was a mini-quickening each time. It was edited and framed with discretion shots to avoid being overly graphic.

    Basically it had a similar set up, where Immortals would fight each other, but there were a lot more Immortals. Also had mortal factions who observed the Immortals, think some actively hunted them.
    Didnít they do an episode where Lambert turned up to wink and the camera and show up the own brand replacement who was the usual star?
  • drhickman1983 15 Jun 2021 17:50:49 7,763 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

    The main star was Adrian Paul. He played Duncan McLeod, a cousin (I think) of Connor. Lambert appeared a few times, IIRC, including in the pilot (or early in the season at least). I recall the two McLeods sharing immortal hints and tips.
  • anephric 15 Jun 2021 17:59:03 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He's in the first episode, isn't he? It sets up the whole thing.
  • QBX 17 Jun 2021 09:19:05 248 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    City of Tiny Lights

    Riz Ahmed is a PI who is drawn back to his past when searching for a missing woman.

    I have bit of a soft spot for Ahmed whose presence manages to elevate what is an otherwise average film.

    6.5/10

    Edited by QBX at 09:19:18 17-06-2021
  • BreadBinLidHero 17 Jun 2021 22:36:58 10,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's good is Ahmed. Looking forward to that and Sound of Metal.
  • Rum_Monkey 19 Jun 2021 11:56:58 3,335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Luca

    Not up there with the Pixar greats but a charming coming of age story.

    7/10
  • Dougs 19 Jun 2021 12:54:46 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    BreadBinLidHero wrote:
    He's good is Ahmed. Looking forward to that and Sound of Metal.
    Sound of Metal is excellent. I wish I'd seen it at the cinema, where I think it would have had even more impact.
  • neems 19 Jun 2021 13:33:06 5,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Also, Paul Heaton regularly bought rounds in the local pub, he was a fixture. Fucked if I can remember what the pub was called though, it's all... a blur?
    Puzzled by this.
  • anephric 19 Jun 2021 14:10:47 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Paul Heaton was/is a generous guy and used to buy everyone a drink. It's not that complicated.
  • neems 19 Jun 2021 15:08:45 5,608 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry, it looked like "it's all... a blur?" was the punchline to a joke, which didn't make sense because Paul Heaton wasn't in Blur. Just ignore me.
  • RawShark 19 Jun 2021 15:52:07 2,080 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Megamind

    Just happened to be on and I gave it a rewatch. This was always considers the poor cousin to Despicable Me but I personally prefer it. It lacks the physical comedy of the Minions, but Will Ferrel is on fine form, the story is less predictable and saccharine, and the soundtrack is banging.

    8/10

    For the record I preferred Antz to A Bugs Life as well. At least until it turned out it was another film where Woody Allen portrayed a stalker / sexual predator.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jun 2021 16:56:34 19,213 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Unleashed

    Jet Li is used by a mildly comical gang leader as his fighting dog as his gang of cretins are all a bit shit. It does stray into feel good territory, but ghe does fine with it, and Morgan Freeman does add some gravitas. There's also some decent fights.

    7/10
  • askew 19 Jun 2021 17:25:07 24,015 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cool Massive Attack soundtrack on that film.
  • Nexus_6 19 Jun 2021 19:32:09 6,144 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Unleashed

    Jet Li is used by a mildly comical gang leader as his fighting dog as his gang of cretins are all a bit shit. It does stray into feel good territory, but ghe does fine with it, and Morgan Freeman does add some gravitas. There's also some decent fights.

    7/10
    I remember this getting filmed in and around Glasgow back in the day. Much excitement to see Morgan Freeman in the flesh down Trongate.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jun 2021 19:52:49 19,213 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Oak Room

    An interesting tale that meanders along, but also builds to a satisfying conclusion.

    7/10
  • RGeefe 19 Jun 2021 21:01:02 2,351 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Hitcher (2007)

    Part of Sean Bean's ill fated attempt to do America after LOTR. His accent is passable but it's a shit film. Never saw the original but assume it's better. Would have turned it off but I wasn't in control of the remote.

    2/10
  • Rum_Monkey 19 Jun 2021 21:12:21 3,335 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sean Bean is up there with Gerard Butler and Arnie where their accents are so strong it should be written into scripts rather than trying to force them to do other accents.
  • Fonzie 19 Jun 2021 21:15:50 3,489 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The Devil Below - I take it back. This is actually the worst netflix movie I've watched.

    A group of dickheads get murdered by CHUDS while the locals inexplicably try to stop anyone finding out about it.

    Absolute bullshit. The creature design seems kind of cool but they put on a weird lens effect every time the camera looks at one so it might actually be crap.

    Yet another one that is far too boring to be 'so bad its good'.

    1/10
    Wish I'd have read this before watching this film. Absolute garbage. 0/100. Story is crap, acting is crap, effects are crap.

    Edited by Fonzie at 21:16:05 19-06-2021
  • StarchildHypocrethes 19 Jun 2021 21:54:27 33,944 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I started watching that the other night but couldn't get past the weird accent one of them was putting on for whatever reason, and so decided to quit whilst I was ahead. I feel vindicated in my decision.
  • creepiest-lizard 19 Jun 2021 22:12:21 2,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Father.

    Pretty good. Anthony Hopkins is very good and it wasn't the usual thing of him doing his ACTING. I actually forgot it was him and completely bought his frail old man who's mind is disintegrating.
    I really like how the scenes play out with little rhyme or reaaon for continuity or even consistency of which actor plays which part as it leaves you in total limbo as to whats happening and whats real which is obviously intentional.
    It's Olivia Coleman as the daughter that really elevates it though. Her performance is amazing and you can see exhaustion and helplessness in everything she does.
    Its a bit slight on details about any of the characters which probably stems from its origin as a play.
    I don't have any personal experience of somebody close to me with dementia so I dont know if you would get more or less out of it if you did but it certainly moved me

    8/10

    Urgh. Typing on a bloody Kindle

    Edited by creepiest-lizard at 23:05:49 19-06-2021
  • Technoishmatt 19 Jun 2021 22:58:03 5,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Sean Bean is up there with Gerard Butler and Arnie where their accents are so strong it should be written into scripts rather than trying to force them to do other accents.
    Also, JCVD, where they usually did.

    Edited by Technoishmatt at 22:58:22 19-06-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.