Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4450

• Zerobob 19 Jul 2021 11:35:00 3,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Was going to give Guns Akimbo a go later, but might give Midsommar a go instead now, given so many people enjoyed it on here.

I've heard mainly negative things about Midsommar though, the main complaints being that plot doesn't make sense and the main characters spend the whole time making inexplicably stupid decisions.
  • JoelStinty 19 Jul 2021 11:37:49 9,526 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    American Gangster

First time Iíve watched this since itís cinema release. Engaging, though pretty ambitious trying to mix a few threads whilst telling the rise of a gangster, which means we only get some surface level looks at its two main leads (Crowe and Washington) and just some pretty formulaic gangster film stuff. Nevertheless itís still a decent watch and the cinematography in it is great, really captures the New York 70ís photography feel.

3.75/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 11:59:19 19-07-2021
  • drhickman1983 19 Jul 2021 11:56:43 7,763 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched Midsommar a couple of days ago. I liked it too. Just a good, psychological feel to it throughout.

And I thought it had some good humour to undercut the tension and dread throughout.

Great score too, really adds to the dread.
  • Darth_Flibble 19 Jul 2021 12:11:55 5,517 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    People say you can't make a decent new Terminator, Aliens or predator film, this is not true, you just need decent writers. Sarah Connor Chronicles tv show had some new storylines and actually wanted to see what would happen with the t1000 that was rebelling against skynet and was looking to join the resistance but the submarine crew fuck it up and the other stuff

richarddavies wrote:
    Everytime the Bale meltdown is mentioned now I instantly think of the Adam Buxton remix of it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-329324871/adam-buxton-bale-jingle
    I like the Bale Out Remix

https://youtu.be/YTihsJQHt48
  • IRWATWO 19 Jul 2021 13:14:55 1,314 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I instantly think of the Luvvie Darling pisstake in Viz, where Luvvie has exactly the same meltdown whilst being an entertainer at a kids birthday party :)
  • Tonka 19 Jul 2021 15:08:39 31,928 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Kong Skull Island

Perfect popcorn film.
  • Trowel 19 Jul 2021 15:14:57 24,495 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Prospect - 8/10

Gorgeous, tense, superbly acted. Returnal vibes throughout, and a great forerunner to The Mandalorian in more ways than one.
  • JYM60 19 Jul 2021 15:20:44 19,042 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Midsommar was OK. Nearly every character was a complete fucking idiot though, even by horror movie standards. Hereditary was miles better.
  • Gruff 19 Jul 2021 15:34:42 3,907 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Prospect - 8/10

Gorgeous, tense, superbly acted. Returnal vibes throughout, and a great forerunner to The Mandalorian in more ways than one.
    Lost count of the amount of times I have watched this, such a great sense of place. Definition of a hidden gem.
  • Rum_Monkey 19 Jul 2021 15:44:31 3,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yep, it's good.

I heard nothing about it when I watched it too, just stumbled across it looking for some Sci fi.
  • Zerobob 19 Jul 2021 16:00:52 3,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Midsommar was OK. Nearly every character was a complete fucking idiot though, even by horror movie standards. Hereditary was miles better.
    That's exactly what I heard. Stories can have stupid characters that do reckless things. That's fine. It's human nature. There's justification for doing something stupid and reckless... It's fun, or liberating.

If the story relies on every lead character making decisions that aren't based in logic - that are beyond all justification - then that's just poor storytelling.

From what I've heard, there's no justification for all the main characters to remain in the murder cult and I think the film will just frustrate me too much, whilst expecting me to be invested in the murder and violence.
  • Derblington 19 Jul 2021 16:03:34 35,099 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I mean, take a look at the world around you and try claiming people don't continually make stupid decisions.
  • Rhaegyr 19 Jul 2021 16:08:56 5,494 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another one here who thought Midsommar was excellent.

Strangely though I thought it was merely 'good' immediately after watching it but the next few weeks I thought about it regularly and couldn't get it (and some of the imagery) out of my mind.
  • JamboWayOh 19 Jul 2021 16:20:03 24,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I mean, take a look at the world around you and try claiming people don't continually make stupid decisions.
    I don't know, with something like Alien Covenant everyone and I mean everyone was such a fucking moron that that it felt like a parody.
  • PickledShogun 19 Jul 2021 16:22:20 219 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    The Debt Collector (Billy Connolly, Ken Stott)

It's not a bad film, but not as enjoyable as I remembered from my first watch of the film many years ago.

6/10
  • anephric 19 Jul 2021 16:25:53 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The excuse given in Midsommar about why they won't leave is that it's going to be mega source material for their thesis, or somesuch, but yeah, it's a bit stupid.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jul 2021 17:09:30 19,213 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    An Officer and a Gentleman

I'm not sure how I've managed to never watch this before, but I'm glad that I finally have. It's an excellent film, with everyone fitting their roles perfectly. It's a little predictable, but the story is engaging enough.

8/10
  • JYM60 19 Jul 2021 17:10:03 19,042 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The whole group is basically Madeline Mcann'd one after the other and nobody questions it.
  • anephric 19 Jul 2021 17:46:10 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @TechnoHippy An Officer and a Gentleman is atypical of most romantic dramas as it covers all the bases: bit of action, some really grim bits, a happy ending that works on more than one level, bits where blokes can legitimately get a bit sweaty-eyed (I GOT NOWHERE ELSE TO GO, the suicide and Mayo telling Foley he won't ever forget him, as well as the ending).

It's just a really good film that doesn't sugar-coat anything, and there's no actual naval aaav-ee-aa-tor flying in it!
  • drhickman1983 19 Jul 2021 18:05:02 7,763 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:
    That's exactly what I heard. Stories can have stupid characters that do reckless things. That's fine. It's human nature. There's justification for doing something stupid and reckless... It's fun, or liberating.

If the story relies on every lead character making decisions that aren't based in logic - that are beyond all justification - then that's just poor storytelling.

From what I've heard, there's no justification for all the main characters to remain in the murder cult and I think the film will just frustrate me too much, whilst expecting me to be invested in the murder and violence.
    I dunno, I don't think it's that unrealistic. People can rationalise and normalise things very easily.

Besides anything, they were in the middle of nowhere with poor reception. If they had tried to leave they'd need to get a lift, and they'd be fridged anyway...
  • Tonka 19 Jul 2021 18:33:51 31,928 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    Prospect - 8/10

Lost count of the amount of times I have watched this, such a great sense of place. Definition of a hidden gem.
    Prospect is one of the most pleasant surprises I've had when it comes to films. Really good.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Jul 2021 18:49:42 19,213 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Intruder

A decent thriller, that just stretches out a bit too long. There's some nice tense moments, although the reveals aren't too surprising.

On Netflix.

6.5/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 18:49:59 19-07-2021
  • Pierre2k 19 Jul 2021 21:29:09 1,451 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Pierre2k wrote:

It could have been absolutely epic, and even had a peak, post-Dark Knight Christian Bale as the lead.

Until Christian Bale realised he was in a McG movie and absolutely unloaded all his frustrations on that poor lighting guy.
    Ha, wasn't thinking about that infamous leak when I made reference to Christian Bale, but yeah, add that to the list problems with Salvation.

Someone posted earlier their preferred order of Terminator movies. I pretty much agree, but would switch Dark Fate and T3 round. I actually prefer T3. Dark Fate was just so forgettable.
  • mrpon 19 Jul 2021 22:52:46 37,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Guns Akimbo (Prime)

A bit Hardcore Henry meets Running Man. A blast? A romp? Guns, swears, more guns, cars, explosions.

Enjoy! 7/10
  • RawShark 19 Jul 2021 23:52:58 2,080 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Red flag waved to bull.
  • QBX 20 Jul 2021 10:05:44 248 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    House of Bamboo (1955)

Film noir about an American army policeman who investigates the robbery of an ammunition train in 50s Japan.

Sadly didn't click with me. Despite the premise and setting I don't think the film reaches its full potential, feeling more like a romance at times rather than a hardboiled detective flick.

A shame as the post-war Japan setting deserves much better.

5/10

Edited by QBX at 10:09:07 20-07-2021
  • SuperSoupy 20 Jul 2021 10:24:11 303 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Intruder

A decent thriller, that just stretches out a bit too long. There's some nice tense moments, although the reveals aren't too surprising.

On Netflix.

6.5/10
    Yea it was fun! Daytime TV-Corny but cus it's netflix ya kind of allow it.

On a completely different, random topic.. if they ever make a movie about someone from the WWE, Dennis Quaid should play Vince McMahon. He's perfect for the role.
  • TechnoHippy 20 Jul 2021 16:47:38 19,213 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wild Bill

A violent ex-con tries to reconnect with his family. It turned out quite well, and manages a fine line between his past and his hopes. There's a strong cast who perform well enough and it keeps things interesting along the way, although with few real surprises. The ending is bittersweet, but works just fine in the context.

On Netflix.

7/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 16:52:36 20-07-2021
  • elstoof 20 Jul 2021 18:24:33 27,823 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Space Jam, which was actually not too bad considering. The biggest problem for me was when my 8 year old turned to me and asked who the rabbit is, none of these loony tunes characters are really relevant any more
  • JamboWayOh 20 Jul 2021 18:28:26 24,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Space Jam, which was actually not too bad considering. The biggest problem for me was when my 8 year old turned to me and asked who the rabbit is, none of these loony tunes characters are really relevant any more
    That is something which I've never even considered, the looney tunes are kinda invisible today to kids compared to Disney characters who they seem to know from birth
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.