Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4451

• askew 20 Jul 2021 18:32:05 24,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Space Jam, which was actually not too bad considering. The biggest problem for me was when my 8 year old turned to me and asked who the rabbit is, none of these loony tunes characters are really relevant any more
    Did this review apply?

https://letterboxd.com/cobrarocky/film/space-jam-a-new-legacy/
  • elstoof 20 Jul 2021 18:38:10 27,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím not sure what many of those words mean in that combination, so maybe?
  • IronGiant 20 Jul 2021 23:03:27 6,336 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    My kids knew Buggs Bunny but not many of the others.. Space Jam is rubbish.

Prospect I am going to look into watching.
  • Dougs 20 Jul 2021 23:23:01 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:

That is something which I've never even considered, the looney tunes are kinda invisible today to kids compared to Disney characters who they seem to know from birth
    Tbh, my kids don't know the classic Disney characters. They know Mickey and Minnie but have no affinity with them and have no idea of the others. It's all the Princess lot and Pixar and beyond.
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jul 2021 23:25:34 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did your kid know the droogs from Clockwork Orange
  • Nexus_6 20 Jul 2021 23:42:19 6,144 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    My kids knew Buggs Bunny but not many of the others.. Space Jam is rubbish.

Prospect I am going to look into watching.

Prospect is on More4 fir the next month
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Jul 2021 07:57:47 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:

That is something which I've never even considered, the looney tunes are kinda invisible today to kids compared to Disney characters who they seem to know from birth
    Tbh, my kids don't know the classic Disney characters. They know Mickey and Minnie but have no affinity with them and have no idea of the others. It's all the Princess lot and Pixar and beyond.
    For a such a huge mascot Mickey has very few actually good or big shows or films of his own.

Castle of Illusion and Kingdom Hearts are probably his best work
  • Technoishmatt 21 Jul 2021 08:07:59 5,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We have never exposed our 3 year old to anything with Mickey Mouse at home. He still manages to know who he is...
  • elstoof 21 Jul 2021 08:42:40 27,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My youngest likes the Mickey characters, thereís a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something show on for kids around 4 years old which she stumbled across one day. I could barely remember the Old Lady/Grandma character tbh, or the big rooster. Foghorn Leghorn? No idea about the red hairy thing, but Marvin was a nice blast from the past
  • Decks 21 Jul 2021 08:47:05 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You could barely remember Foghorn Leghorn? What the fuck I say what the fuck is wrong with you boy?
  • Dougs 21 Jul 2021 08:48:33 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I say, I say. Etc etc
  • Nexus_6 21 Jul 2021 09:49:51 6,144 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Woody Woodpecker - class.
    Ha ha haa ha
  • dominalien 21 Jul 2021 09:55:01 10,661 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Love and Monsters on Netflix

Not devoid of a certain charm, but meh. The surface doesn't look at all dangerous enough to drive humans underground.

5/10
  • elstoof 21 Jul 2021 10:55:30 27,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You could barely remember Foghorn Leghorn? What the fuck I say what the fuck is wrong with you boy?
    Until he started speaking I couldnít place him at all
  • nickthegun 21 Jul 2021 11:00:31 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is where Disney played a blinder and just bought pop-culture. It was really noticeable when we took the girl to Disney that the only person who gave a shit about meeting the classic characters was the wife.
  • RawShark 21 Jul 2021 11:01:53 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We know about Loony Tunes because that was basically all we had as kids.

Back in the day weíd just get plonked in front of a VHS from a really crap video rental place (one of the ones run out of a corner shop) and watch Loony Tunes (the one child friendly video available from there) while the grown ups got dinner on or just sat in a darkened room regretting their decisions. It was good because you got loads of episodes on one tape, and that same tape was watched over and over.

Nowadays kids have streaming services and can watch anything they want. Thatís Galactus level power compared to what we had.
  • Zerobob 21 Jul 2021 11:05:58 3,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Tomorrow War - 4/10

It was too long. The tone was all over the place, especially towards the end where they inserted comedy which felt completely out of place... So many scenes were completely ridiculous, I wish they just kept it light-hearted throughout, rather than expecting the viewer to generally take it seriously.

The special effects were decent, but I hated the generic "Resident Evil" alien designs.

The logic behind tracking down the aliens was baffling. The aliens were known to originate from Russia (I think?) but then because the aliens had traces of volcanic ash from an eruption 1000 years ago (ejecting ash which covered half the globe) and because some scientists drilled somewhere and found some of this ash in Russia (despite this ash covering half the globe) they somehow knew this was the exact spot the aliens emerged from? Ridiculous.

Also, in the end they used C4 explosives to kill the aliens... so why did the entire plot revolve around developing a toxin to defeat them?

Generally entertaining, and the concept showed potential (although, at best, it's just Terminator meets Independence Day) but it's a shame it's full of plot holes and nonsense. The strategy should have been to use time travel to prevent the future war, not to mindlessly supply troops to fight in a hopeless future war.
  • RGeefe 21 Jul 2021 12:27:32 2,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The thing is, for Disney, what happens when Marvel and Star Wars stop being cool? Because they will. Happens to everything.
  • grey_matters 21 Jul 2021 13:08:20 5,497 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    The thing is, for Disney, what happens when Marvel and Star Wars stop being cool? Because they will. Happens to everything.
    Use the money that they get from flogging the current dead horse to buy the future dead horse?
  • Rivuzu 21 Jul 2021 13:11:57 18,423 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tomorrow War
    wtf/10

Felt like an endless stream of napkins with the plot written in charcoal just stapled together. Genuinely a bad and dull movie. Reminded me of Starship Troopers but without any sort of commentary or nonsense that makes that film watchable.

I hope they got paid well for having that smear on their IMDB page.
  • wuntyate 21 Jul 2021 13:26:24 17,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rivuzu I didn't hate it and my son quite enjoyed it when we watched it a couple of weeks ago, but it needed to lose about 45 minutes. It also doesn't make sense. On any level. I did like the creatures though and the actiony bits were decent. So there's that. It is mountains of stupid though.
  • Rivuzu 21 Jul 2021 13:29:59 18,423 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyate It's like they designed the set pieces absent of plot. And the final act was just... Why did it exist again? It really felt like the film ended way before it did and then it was like beating a dead horse.
  • wuntyate 21 Jul 2021 13:33:23 17,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rivuzu Re: The last act, I especially liked: "We COULD tell all the governments, but they won't tackle the problem. Even though it's blatantly something that every nation has been aware of for a long time and thousands of people world-wide have died. So let's do it ourselves. With no real plan."
  • Zerobob 21 Jul 2021 14:38:47 3,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wuntyate Yes, at that point it was as if the writers were openly acknowledging to the audience that they'd written a shit film, with zero logic behind the plot and character motivations.
  • neems 21 Jul 2021 15:10:18 5,608 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    People across the world rioting about a war that happens in 30 years time. If only we had time to prepare!
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jul 2021 20:36:49 19,213 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Door

An interesting premise that's let down by the execution, in particular the actors. It starts off fine, but then unfortunately descends into typical horror foolishness.

Available on Prime.

5/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 20:37:04 21-07-2021
  • anephric 21 Jul 2021 21:11:29 5,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is that the Mads Mikkelsen one?
  • ChiefGB 21 Jul 2021 21:55:26 13,805 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fear street part 3, folded it all together in a half interesting way. An intriguing project in the end but that part 2 is a low point for me.
    Worth running through in the end as it did try something different with a well trod format.

So as a collection Iíd say itís around 65.

Edited by ChiefGB at 21:56:19 21-07-2021
  • RawShark 21 Jul 2021 21:59:54 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    RGeefe wrote:
    Use the money that they get from flogging the current dead horse to buy the future dead horse?
    Disney buy up shit that isnít even been cool in ages and has no discernible future (Díoh!). I donít think theyíre too worried.
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Jul 2021 22:08:55 2,885 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, whatever's cool in the future, they'll just buy that as well.
    They have infinite money, for all intents and purposes.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.