Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4452

• RGeefe 21 Jul 2021 22:50:08 2,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Desperado (1995) - Netflix

This is NOT the film I remember it being when I was a teenager. Yes, it's really cool and everything looks gritty and sleek but fuck me it's go the substance of jelly. You can absolutely see where Quentin wrote dialogue and while it is admirable that Rob Rod basically did a remake of his student film for his US debut but yeah...just a bit naff, held up by good performances.

6/10
    One of those marks is for Salma Hayek
  • askew 21 Jul 2021 22:53:47 24,015 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hah

Thatís actually no. 2 in the trilogy isnít it? Even Once Upon A Time In Mexico feels a bit cheap at times - particularly when it switches (?) to video rather than film. Worse than Mann!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Jul 2021 22:54:07 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Matrix

I think it still holds up, I think? The special effects still look ok for twenty year old cgi. The action is still dramatic and stylish. But its hard to watch something where all of its key scenes, every single one of them, has been parodied to oblivion.

8/10
  • elstoof 21 Jul 2021 23:01:24 27,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Has Rodriguez ever made a film with any substance to it?
  • anephric 21 Jul 2021 23:03:53 5,200 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't think he cares to, he's a schlocky genre filmmaker.

El Mariachi still impresses me with its ingenuity considering it was made for the price of a packet of fags.
  • InfiniteDan 21 Jul 2021 23:19:30 142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Memento is starting now on BBC2.
  • RGeefe 21 Jul 2021 23:22:58 2,351 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It turns out I've seen Once upon a time in Mexico. I now have much more respect for Tarantino for consistently crafting characters I give a fuck about.

Rob Rod - bit shit, I have discovered
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Jul 2021 23:34:41 2,885 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    It turns out I've seen Once upon a time in Mexico. I now have much more respect for Tarantino for consistently crafting characters I give a fuck about.

Rob Rod - bit shit, I have discovered
    I never could work out where the love for some of his films comes from. He has made almost all terrible films.
    Rodriguez, that is.

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 23:35:34 21-07-2021
  • chopsen 22 Jul 2021 00:13:15 21,928 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He definitely rode in on the coat tails of Tarantino, but I have a soft spot for him.

Bit like Raimi, there's an unpretentious, inventive silliness to his films. That's really appeals.

However I also haven't seen desperado in years and reserve the right to revise my opinion.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 00:51:40 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From Dusk til Dawn guys, címon
  • creepiest-lizard 22 Jul 2021 08:08:22 2,885 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Raimi and Rodriguez similar? Madness, mate. Raimi is a proper filmmaker.
    From dusk till dawn is pretty naff and it doesn't get marks for it being deliberate.
    Replied to the wrong person there!
    Many, many apologies, simple

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 08:09:39 22-07-2021
  • nickthegun 22 Jul 2021 09:40:23 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Guns Akimbo - Im pretty much over this type of movie. It insists upon itself for a weirdly laggy 90 minutes and feels more and more dated as the movie wears on. Like it dates itself in real time. Radcliffe has finally scaled up to the dizzying heights of 'mediocre actor', though. So thats nice.

4/10

Prospect - I really liked this but more for its world than the actual film. It has kind of a soviet-era aesthetic, the machines are all angular and functional and the costumes are all well worn, functional and irregular. The production design is great, its full of so many nice touches and pulls together a fully formed world.

The story didnt have quite so much care. I know thats the point, but it could have been a western. Its very, very functional, people go from A to B and we dont really get much colour in between. Its alright, Pedro Pascal does his best but he plays it exactly the same as the guy in Kingsmen 2, which does get grating.

So, yeah, the story takes a bit of a back seat to the world but its fine, I guess.

6/10
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 09:42:56 30,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I watched about half an hour of Guns Akimbo and turned it off. Really irritatingly filmed. Fair play to Potter though, he does a mean American accent.

Edited by Decks at 09:44:07 22-07-2021
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jul 2021 09:50:02 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodriguez is decent as a director. He's got style. Though these days he seems to be more of a director for hire doing other people's projects, rather than his own thing.

But I thought Battle Angel Alita was pretty good.
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 09:52:33 142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The Forever Purge

Actually not bad as an action film with a bizarre plot. Quite different to the previous Purge films in that it actually has a story line.

Also a little rum that they painted right wing lunatics as people wanting to extend the Purge forever and burn cities, when it's the left that riots and burns cities in America, but hey ho.

Quite enjoyed it tbh.

7/10
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 09:54:14 7,763 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, because the right never do things like attempt a capitol insurrection or do anything like drive cars into protesters.
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 09:55:45 142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The left is worse.
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 09:59:38 7,763 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fully disagree.

This is a fun and productive discussion.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/10/27/in-america-far-right-terrorist-plots-have-outnumbered-far-left-ones-in-2020

https://www.businessinsider.com/right-wing-extremists-kill-329-since-1994-antifa-killed-none-2020-7?amp

Edited by drhickman1983 at 10:02:10 22-07-2021
  • creepiest-lizard 22 Jul 2021 10:06:15 2,885 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right wing people shouldn't be allowed to watch films.
  • RawShark 22 Jul 2021 10:21:20 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or post on here. Not when they're hateful little trolls like Infinite Dan. Ignore button go BLAM!
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 10:22:58 142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    What have I said that's hateful? Oh nevermind, ignore away.
  • Gruff 22 Jul 2021 10:27:53 3,907 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    The Matrix

I think it still holds up, I think? The special effects still look ok for twenty year old cgi. The action is still dramatic and stylish. But its hard to watch something where all of its key scenes, every single one of them, has been parodied to oblivion.

8/10
    Watched it the other day as well, absolutely agree, still a classic, not dated at all (well, maybe the ship invading robots look a bit naff), I will ignore the other films to retain its standing in my tiny little mind.
  • nickthegun 22 Jul 2021 11:09:41 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I finished *another* rewatch last week after the 4k set was on sale on itunes and, yeah, its pretty timeless. Dunno if it was intentional but 'in the matrix its always the late 90's' is genius.

The other two have, however, dated a lot more purely due to all the CGI the first one couldnt afford. In 4K you can see the detailing on all the costumes almost down to the individual threads and then *womp womp* PS2 era CG textures for the fights.

All that said, I have come to quite like it as a trilogy. Now there is a lot of distance between the greatness of the first and the disappointment of the other two, I think they are actually OK.

I didnt even mind the zion rave scene because 'Slap It' still slaps (and is, tbh, the only tune on the entire soundtrack which isnt cringingly dated).
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 11:18:19 8,025 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It was always going to have Difficult Second Album problems even if they put out a masterpiece. I donít dislike the sequels either. Plenty of missteps for sure but I donít think theyíre quite The Godfather Part 3 that people seem to think they are.

Matrix 4 on the other hand, if the leaks are true, could be even more polarizing. Spoilers that may be bullshit but who knows

Allegedly Barney Stimson is the big bad, revealed through therapy sessions with Thomas Anderson where in weird 4th Wall Breaking he is now convinced that Matrix 1-3 were just movies, along with a ton of self-referential nods to reboots and bad sequels to the point where itís been compared with Deadpool for self-awareness
  • RawShark 22 Jul 2021 11:20:17 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I might bop along to Rock is Dead before awkwardly stopping when I remember Marilyn Manson is a sex offender.
  • captbirdseye 22 Jul 2021 11:24:38 11,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am still waiting for the moment when Matrix Kid just gets deleted from everything.
  • nickthegun 22 Jul 2021 11:27:51 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    I might bop along to Rock is Dead before awkwardly stopping when I remember Marilyn Manson is a sex offender.
    Its also unfortunate that the entire mood of the original John Wick is set around 'Killing Strangers'
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 11:28:51 7,763 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I absolutely hate the sequels. They're not the worst films ever, but if the first is a solid 9/10 the sequels are, at very best, 5/10. And that's when I'm generous.

The action is largely forgettable - the burly brawl is memorable, but for all the wrong reasons.

The car chase sequence is actually good, will give them that.

Everything else is forgettable. I can say that safely as I'm struggling to remember anything of note... Oh, the attempt to do another lobby sequence BUT THIS TIME THEY ARE ON THE CEILING OMG was shit

But then the fucking exposition. Long sequences of characters saying loads of pseudo-intellectual post modernist gumph that ultimately means nothing. The Watchowski's totally forgot about show don't tell. (Which is amusing when you consider Morpheus's line in the first film about not being able to tell you what the Matrix is.)

The exposition, especially the final chat with the director, was like listening to a dropped-at-birth Baudrillard, and I can't stand Baudrillard at the best of times.

I've managed to convince myself they're definitely not 5/10 films.
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 11:29:38 7,763 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    Its also unfortunate that the entire mood of the original John Wick is set around 'Killing Strangers'
    It's okay, we still have the stairway scene in Joker.
  • neems 22 Jul 2021 12:18:35 5,608 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Your-Mother

I would humbly suggest that Godfather 3 is vastly superior to either of the Matrix sequels.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.