Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4453

• askew 22 Jul 2021 12:59:03 24,005 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Spoilers that may be bullshit but who knows

Allegedly Barney Stimson is the big bad, revealed through therapy sessions with Thomas Anderson where in weird 4th Wall Breaking he is now convinced that Matrix 1-3 were just movies, along with a ton of self-referential nods to reboots and bad sequels to the point where itís been compared with Deadpool for self-awareness
    Please no.
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 13:21:50 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That sounds absolutely dreadful. Who is Barney Stimson?
  • nickthegun 22 Jul 2021 13:23:15 87,508 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Doogie Hauser M.D
  • creepiest-lizard 22 Jul 2021 13:32:40 2,868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Matrix is a weird one for me. I like the first one but think the sequels are shit but I woud be interested in a fourth film.
  • dfunked09 22 Jul 2021 13:37:20 2,244 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @creepiest-lizard
    Guess it's your lucky day then as it's out in December.

I love the first film (although admittedly haven't seen it for a while), second one was barely OK and I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the third since seeing it in the cinema.

I'll watch the sequel, but really not holding out much hope for it.
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 13:38:31 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Other than the first Matrix and V for Vendetta (which I wasn't crazy about) the Wachowskis output has been universally shit for me. That write up of Matrix 4 would be in line with my expectations for it.
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Jul 2021 13:40:39 3,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I don't think I've seen any of their stuff outside of Matrix and VfV. Not sure I could even name their other films.
  • dfunked09 22 Jul 2021 13:41:48 2,244 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fucking hell... Wish I'd never scrolled up to read the rest of the page.

I can just see Barney doing his OTT theatrical wink to the audience.
  • Vortex808 22 Jul 2021 13:46:09 15,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    I don't think I've seen any of their stuff outside of Matrix and VfV. Not sure I could even name their other films.
    Was bound one of theirs? That's worth seeing just for gina gershon.

Ay caramba.
  • drhickman1983 22 Jul 2021 13:51:36 7,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speed Racer was kind of fun in an entirely surface way. No idea how the visuals hold up these days.

Jupiter Ascending was odd. Not Matrix-sequel bad, just inconsistent and too long, but it had a few nice sequences. And it's refreshing to have a new IP as opposed to something based on a novel.

The Sense8 series might be the best thing they've done since The Matrix, but that was mostly just driven by one of them I think.
  • dfunked09 22 Jul 2021 13:52:22 2,244 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Speed Racer was OK as a visual spectacle. Can't remember a thing about the film itself though.
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Jul 2021 13:53:44 3,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So they have done a few things I've heard of. The trailer for Speed Racer made it look so shit I never bothered.

Potato Head Tatum made me not bother with JA.
  • nickthegun 22 Jul 2021 13:57:46 87,508 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Speed Racer was OK as a visual spectacle. Can't remember a thing about the film itself though.
    I think it was the last thing Matthew Fox ever starred in
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 14:01:34 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He was actually pretty good in Bone Tomahawk.
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Jul 2021 14:08:10 3,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Didn't he punch someone in the tit?
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 14:10:07 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I believe it was in her breast and also in the cooter.
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Jul 2021 14:10:48 3,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Charlie from Lost alluded he's done it plenty of times too.
  • Decks 22 Jul 2021 14:37:22 30,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine punching tits is quite a hard habit to break.
  • Zerobob 22 Jul 2021 15:44:09 3,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Matrix is a weird one for me. I like the first one but think the sequels are shit but I woud be interested in a fourth film.
    I think that's most people's opinion. The sequels were horrible and tedious.

The first Matrix film is my favourite ever film. The concept is out there - compared to a lot of films - yet this didn't hamstring the film in any way.

The completely original concept was executed masterfully, first time, effortlessly breaking boundaries in blockbuster special effects and fight choreography. The film just came out of nowhere and I'm not sure if this feat will ever be repeated again, frankly, especially given the mounting evidence that the film industry is out of original ideas.

I was also young and naive when I first saw it, and I'd never contemplated the nature of reality before seeing The Matrix. Since then, I can't think of another film that's this thought-provoking, whilst providing their ideas in such a vivid and accessible way.

I'm not bothered about a fourth film... it's not going to be good, because everything worth exploring about The Matrix was explored perfectly well in the first film and brought to a satisfying conclusion.
  • RawShark 22 Jul 2021 16:00:39 2,056 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    dfunked09 wrote:
    I think it was the last thing Matthew Fox ever starred in
    Someone punched the chimp after it bit the kid, too. I thought it was enjoyable enough for what it was worth, but it sounded like a hellish production. I think everyone involved hated it.
  • Rum_Monkey 22 Jul 2021 16:04:08 3,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    We all watched Army of the Dead so we woll all watch the Matrix 4.
  • Jono62 22 Jul 2021 16:07:29 27,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Was bound one of theirs? That's worth seeing just for gina gershon.

Ay caramba.
    Yes Bound is one of theirs. Jennifer Tilly is in it too if I remember correctly.

They were also part of Sense 8.
  • Zerobob 22 Jul 2021 18:47:12 3,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    We all watched Army of the Dead so we woll all watch the Matrix 4.
    This is true, but I won't enjoy it dammit!

I suspect we all watched Army of the Dead because it was "free" on Netflix during a pandemic film drought.
  • rammy18 22 Jul 2021 18:47:29 94 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @Zerobob I think the 2nd gets tarred with the same brush as the 3rd, to some extent.
    I mean the 2nd is no masterpiece, but itís ok(ish).
    It has that the highway sequence, then and now that set piece blows me away. An absolute triumph in an otherwise average film
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 18:58:01 8,011 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The big weakness of Reloaded is that a bunch of lore and backstory was crammed into the shitty game, and it makes all the stuff straight after the freeway chase feel rushed and uneven. When they switch to Morpheus giving his grand ďisnít that worth dying for?Ē speech intercut with the power plant destruction I legit thought it was a quick trailer for the 3rd movie.
  • JoeBlade 22 Jul 2021 19:14:28 6,195 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think Matrix two is not that bad. It has some great or at least cool moments and ideas ('Hmm... upgrades', motorway, lobby scene, the twins, Bane) counterbalanced by bad, stupid or out of place stuff (underground rave, 'You do not truly know someone until you fight them', everything Zion being an absolute yawn fest, the cringe worthy ending)

Ultimately it fails for the same reason many sequels fail though: the original didn't warrant let alone need a sequel and it tries to explain a lot of things that don't need explaining.

Don't get me started on Matrix three though. That was just a jumbled mess that led to an even far worse ending and with next to no good moments or ideas. Heck, it barely added anything new to the Matrix universe and had like 10 minutes of actual Matrix in it.

Edited by JoeBlade at 19:22:17 22-07-2021
  • RawShark 22 Jul 2021 20:25:01 2,056 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didnít like the whole ďI saved you one time, thatís all you getĒ thing. Trinity should have died in the second film if thatís what they wanted to do.

I do remember there being a delay in everyone deciding the second film was shit. Everyone e I saw it with loved it on first watch, but after a few reviews came out it was like the cool kid in class had dismissed it and they changed their tone.

FHM gave the film five stars, while admitting it was based on the trailer alone. Lad hype was big back then.
  • RawShark 22 Jul 2021 20:26:13 2,056 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The big weakness of Reloaded is that a bunch of lore and backstory was crammed into the shitty game, and it makes all the stuff straight after the freeway chase feel rushed and uneven. When they switch to Morpheus giving his grand ďisnít that worth dying for?Ē speech intercut with the power plant destruction I legit thought it was a quick trailer for the 3rd movie.
    The game was a big pile of shite too. Even for the time.
  • Zerobob 22 Jul 2021 21:14:53 3,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The game was a big pile of shite too. Even for the time.
    Especially when Max Payne was doing bullet time better than the franchise that invented it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 22:05:56 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iíve always liked Predator 2 and thanks to taping off the telly being my main way of acquiring movies as a kid Iíve probably watched it twice as many times as Predator 1

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/21/hear-me-out-why-predator-2-isnt-a-bad-movie
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.