Following Amazon Prime

First Previous
  • Killerbee 6 Nov 2007 15:23:59 5,015 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    New service launched by Amazon called "Amazon Prime".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html

Basically you pay 49 for a year's next day delivery on all "eligible" items (whatever that means) irrespective of value.

As someone who usually goes for the free supersaver delivery, I probably wouldn't bother, but apparently this has been popular in the States.

Not sure if they guarantee release-day delivery for pre-orders though.

What do you reckon? Is 49 good value for money for non-tardy delivery?
  • infoxicated 6 Nov 2007 15:32:02 1,509 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think it depends on the volume of your ordering.

I did check it out when I got their mail this morning, but paying 49 in advance for stuff I *might* want delivered seemed a bit steep.
  • Fat-Boy 6 Nov 2007 15:39:37 4,300 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll definitely be having some of this come pay day, but only because I'm such an impatient fucker. Did you see they're doing same day delivery in London and Birmingham, if you order before 11? How fucking cool is that!
  • Killerbee 6 Nov 2007 15:45:24 5,015 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Fat Boy wrote:
    I'll definitely be having some of this come pay day, but only because I'm such an impatient fucker. Did you see they're doing same day delivery in London and Birmingham, if you order before 11? How fucking cool is that!

Very cool. But it's still extra on top of your 49, which makes it slightly less awesome imo.

I suppose if I ordered a lot off Amazon and could rely on them being the cheapest, I'd probably go for it, but in practice, I do tend to shop around more and I can usually put up with the wait if it means saving a few quid.

Otherwise I might as well go out to the shops.
  • dr_swin 6 Nov 2007 15:47:20 4,929 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    i use shopto for my online games shopping these days. they tend to post out well in advance of the release dates to ensure you get your product on release. quite often it arrives the day before leaving you feeling very smug. prices good too.
  • Deleted user 8 June 2008 15:08:27
    FYI, Amazon are running a free monthly trial of this at the moment, so as long as you remember to cancel before the end of the month (although you can set it not to auto-renew anyway), you'll have a month of free next-day deliveries.
  • dnbuk 26 Feb 2014 20:09:33 5,010 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    6 year bump! Prime now includes video streaming (Movies & TV shows) It seems to work great so far and there's a decent selection of stuff. I think they're still doing the one month free trial for Prime as well.
  • Whizzo 26 Feb 2014 20:14:58 44,807 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's basically Lovefilm with the name crossed out and Amazon written over the top in crayon, it's fine though as I've used it to stream a fair amount in the past. Much better since it started doing HD stuff.

Got an email that my two disc sub to LF was dropping in price to 6 quid (I'm already a Prime customer) but I may just knock that on the head. Prime is, of course, going up in price to 79.
  • Kostabi 26 Feb 2014 20:21:38 5,916 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've used Prime for years so this is a nice little bonus until the price hike.

The price difference still works out to half of what I'd pay Netflix for the year and not a massive difference in catalogue. Makes it hard to quibble with the pricing really.

Edited by Kostabi at 20:22:19 26-02-2014
  • Gambit1977 26 Feb 2014 20:23:29 10,398 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You've been able to log in to lovefilm with your prime account for a while now. Always felt like a great bonus, the price hike may not make it feel so bonus like anymore. Game streaming and we're talking!
  • ILoveThrashMetal 26 Feb 2014 20:35:56 1,066 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The retro kids bit is taking me back, he-man, Bertha, trap door, parsley the lion, thundercats, inspector gadget, moshchops, Charlie chalk, morph. All worth the 50 alone!
  • billythekid 9 Oct 2014 15:47:23 12,497 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    b0rk wrote:
    79 quid auto renewal my fucking arse! :mad:
    Yeah but you get Amazon instant video now, want it or not.
    Bit of a piss take move but I'll keep with it due to the amount I order from them.
  • DaM 9 Oct 2014 15:57:13 17,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bastards. I'm just going to buy more from them now, to cost them more money, that'll show them.

Or watch some of the shitty films they have.
  • billythekid 9 Oct 2014 15:58:17 12,497 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    b0rk wrote:
    Oh ya? What's this instant video thingy?
    Used to be Lovefilm.
  • billythekid 9 Oct 2014 16:10:24 12,497 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, the content is pretty good actually. Although I still use Netflix more.
  • CHPxtreme 12 Apr 2015 10:27:49 374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Warning! In my opinion, Amazon now appear to be doing "stealth" signups to this service.

I used to be an Amazon Prime member, but cancelled due to their guaranteed deliveries not actually delivering as guaranteed. All well and good - the service didn't live up to the promise so I cancelled.

Lately, they have been a bit sneaky when encouraging me to sign up for prime. It started with a simple "click here to try Prime for a month" button which was away from the "go to checkout" button. The buttons gradually got closer together (I buy a fair bit from Amazon). Then they changed it to a big orange button which included the prime membership option, and a grey button just below which offered the option to continue without Prime membership. This is annoying since I always need to make sure I'm not clicking on their latest method of fooling me into signing up. They finally got me last week when I continued to payment as usual by clicking on the grey button (which was slightly reworded, and was catching my eye, but too late) and next thing I have a new menu across the top which was the Prime membership menu.

When I went to the section to manage my Prime membership, there was a notification that on 7th May I will be charged 79 for another year of membership.

Obviously, they got an email and I've now cancelled the membership that I never wanted to sign up for.

Anyway, for anyone using Amazon, it might be worth checking that you have not been charged without your knowledge. I mentioned this to a friend of mine who said he isn't an Amazon Prime member, and in fact, implied that there's no way he'd be fooled like I claimed to be.

I felt somewhat vindicated when my friend called me in high dudgeon over Amazon's underhand tactics when he found out that he was paying 79 a year without knowing about it.
  • faux-C 12 Apr 2015 11:14:28 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Weird first post.
  • CHPxtreme 13 Apr 2015 06:49:36 374 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :(

/gets a blog
  • Dougs 13 Apr 2015 07:29:16 94,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Helpful 1st post though. Re-reg?
  • Not-a-reviewer 13 Apr 2015 07:32:18 6,321 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bit of a long post for a reg.

Anyway, it's not that stealth as they email to tell you you've signed up for it and then again when it's renewing and on your order page there's no delivery charge and it says being delivered by prime.
  • uiruki 13 Apr 2015 08:15:12 5,253 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A mate got caught out by the auto renew around Christmas but a quick online chat with the support people got him a cancellation and refund. It's about as non-shitty as this kind of automatically renewing trial can get.
  • MrDigital 7 Jun 2015 11:01:30 1,885 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used Amazon Prime to buy a new phone which is arriving today. Annoyingly, with the carrier "Amazon Logistics", there is no delivery window estimate, and I can't track the progress of the delivery guy, which I can do with other couriers -_-

Anyway, I can see the progress slider moving. I wonder if it is actually telling me real progress (albeit somewhat cryptically), or if it's just arbitrarily sliding along. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, from being "Out to delivery" what's other people's experiences in terms of how long it actually takes?

All a bit annoying, paying for a premium service, and while the next day delivery is good, the lack of extra information is something severely lacking and has been made available to us from other couriers for years...
  • MrSensible 7 Jun 2015 11:23:08 26,517 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "Out for delivery" can mean anything to be honest. Sometimes it doesn't get with me for six hours after that.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Jun 2015 11:58:01 9,449 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have had deliveries just before 9pm, which is their cutoff. So don't make any plans.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.