The cycling thread Page 522

• Psychotext 14 Mar 2018 09:59:28 63,078 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    He hasn’t got any less delightfully idiosyncratic:

Graham Obree’s various time trial positions tested in a wind tunnel against the TT bike of his day and of now, fab video.

Awesome.

Edited by Psychotext at 10:51:39 14-03-2018
  • Salaman 14 Mar 2018 11:42:21 23,062 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That is cool. Never heard of this guy before.

Too bad they didn't test the full superman plank position. It seems to give quite an advantage was well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iz7ZMALaCY
  • mothercruncher 14 Mar 2018 16:13:14 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, small power deficit more than made up for by the HUGE aero gains.
  • Immaterial 14 Mar 2018 21:50:02 2,239 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of small gains- holy shit I've just spent far too much cash on a hardtail.
    Neeeeeewbiiiike feeeeeeel.
  • Tonka 16 Mar 2018 10:12:21 27,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had my first cycling accident this morning. Rode over a patch of perfectly smooth ice that was covered in a few millimeters of dry powder snow. All of a sudden my bike just disappeared from underneath me. Smashed my face on the ground and thought "Well, wearing a helmet was useless."

Later I noticed that it was scratched above my left eye. I would have hit my head smack on the frozen ground. Luckily it was just three minutes from home so I could get back and change. My left knee and shin were scraped.

Oddly the fall killed my phone that was in my pocket. But as a guy in te office said "Pretty small price compared to what could have happened"

Really fucking glad I had a helmet on. Two days earlier I somehow forgot to put it on. I was in a rush and put on my beanie and then I guess I just mistook my beanie for my helmet.
  • thelzdking 16 Mar 2018 16:24:00 8,128 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's snow then go. If it's ice, think twice.

I fail to follow this mantra at least once a year and swiftly regret it.

And yes, helmets are great. I know people who flat-out refuse to wear them because they "look stupid". Fucking idiots.
  • elstoof 16 Mar 2018 17:05:11 20,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like the militant helmet deniers who try to convince you with science, they're always a barrel of laughs
  • the-cozen-show 16 Mar 2018 21:37:48 251 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    can't get new tyre on my rim. fkn tubeless ready wheels

got a tear in my current tyre. going to try shoe gluing it and maybe booting it so I can ride tomorrow at least :***(
  • the-cozen-show 16 Mar 2018 21:53:47 251 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    going to boot it with duct tape. think that will hold for a couple of rides?

got blisters on both thumbs now
  • basmans_grob 16 Mar 2018 22:07:43 1,469 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A piece of flexible card inside the tyre, so when you inflate the tire the card is pushed to the walls of the tyre
  • elstoof 16 Mar 2018 22:24:50 20,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, train ticket, gel wrapper, something like that
  • elstoof 16 Mar 2018 22:25:11 20,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And buy some tyre levers
  • mal 16 Mar 2018 22:55:05 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    the-cozen-show wrote:
    got a tear in my current tyre. going to try shoe gluing it and maybe booting it so I can ride tomorrow at least :***(
    I take it you're not somewhere due a fucktun of fresh snow tomorrow then?
  • the-cozen-show 16 Mar 2018 23:41:40 251 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    tried levering it on. no dice. only meant to be cold where I am tomorrow (glasgow), no snow. have stuck an old train ticket in there. tube's no bulging out..... so...... : thumbs up :
  • mothercruncher 17 Mar 2018 08:02:28 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, I get what “boot it” means now- a piece of gaffer tape folded back and stuck to itself works well too. Tough and fairly waterproof.
    None of that will matter when you’re dead under ten foot of snow, but, until then, happy biking!
  • elstoof 17 Mar 2018 09:15:46 20,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When a future civilisation digs you out of the glacier, at least your bike will be rideable
  • JoelStinty 17 Mar 2018 09:25:17 6,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New tyres are a pain in the arse. To take off. And put on. Got a puncture about this time last year on my my new bike in the cold and rain, and it took me 40 minutes to change the tyre. Normally do it in 5-10 minutes.
  • mothercruncher 17 Mar 2018 09:32:57 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does everyone not butter their rims?
    Ffs, amateurs.
  • elstoof 17 Mar 2018 09:57:43 20,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tubular are so much easier
  • Tonka 17 Mar 2018 13:47:12 27,960 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I like the militant helmet deniers who try to convince you with science, they're always a barrel of laughs
    They're a fascinating bunch
  • the-cozen-show 17 Mar 2018 15:03:29 251 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I survived!*

(*so did my tyre)
  • mal 17 Mar 2018 17:31:05 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    New tyres are a pain in the arse. To take off. And put on. Got a puncture about this time last year on my my new bike in the cold and rain, and it took me 40 minutes to change the tyre. Normally do it in 5-10 minutes.
    Fixing anything with cold fingers is an exercise in frustration more than anything else. I was always taught you could avoid taking the tyre off by listening for the hole, but frankly, fuck being able to do that at the side of a main road with traffic thundering past. At least getting the tyre levers round the rim will warm your hands up slightly if it's even slightly warmer than a day like today.
  • Psychotext 17 Mar 2018 19:28:23 63,078 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alarm now set up in the garage. Rest of the security going in tomorrow.
  • caligari 19 Mar 2018 19:49:19 17,928 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mal wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Fixing anything with cold fingers is an exercise in frustration more than anything else. I was always taught you could avoid taking the tyre off by listening for the hole, but frankly, fuck being able to do that at the side of a main road with traffic thundering past. At least getting the tyre levers round the rim will warm your hands up slightly if it's even slightly warmer than a day like today.
    They're not Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, are they? I remember having a breakdown whilst trying to fit those to a hybrid a few years ago. Gatorskins were also really tough!
  • mothercruncher 20 Mar 2018 22:09:29 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I’ve finally been refunded so I can vent a little- the Elite Rampa turbo trainer was returned to Evans who took over a month to even look at it and needed pushing and prodding all the way to do so.
    When they finally did look at it it was returned “fixed”... well, yeah, in that it no longer sounded like I was pedalling an angle grinder, but, in a stroke of brilliance, it was broken in an interesting new way. It no longer sent any data out. The smart trainer came back lobotomised.
    Oh, and one of the four feet was missing.
    Meh, crap from start to finish. Shopping for something else and from somewhere else now.

I’ve surprised myself how much I’ve used a smart trainer over the winter. I’ve used a few of the biggest paid programs, but even just doing intervals in a spare 40 minutes while watching shit on YouTube has been brilliant- I've definitely retained much more fitness over the worst of the weather this winter.

I wish the good wheel off ones weren’t the price of a whole fucking bike :rolleyes:
  • gamecat 23 Mar 2018 12:26:58 768 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    (touch wood) Mine still working, think I've had my moneys worth if it explodes tomorrow though, they are great motivational tools, where rollers just filled me with dread. The Wahoo Kickr snap looks a decent bet if you're after another on wheel trainer?

Unrelated to trainers, but I've got 2 days left of a biking holiday in Mallorca, and due to some complete moron turning right in front of me without even a cursory glance behind, I have a bruised wrist and a broken helmet. Now to.. er relax I guess, or whatever people do on beach holidays.
  • mothercruncher 23 Mar 2018 21:55:11 14,965 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really do want to just bite the bullet and buy the Kickr Snap, but it’s a £500 bullet, ugh!

Bugger. Hope you’re better soon. Extra gutting to be somewhere planned and no be able to bike.

Had a bad crash today too. Officially over using Alfine- while I can appreciate its no nonsense durability is good for bike packing where you’re ploughing away through the miles largely seated, it’s just not up to the job of “proper” mountain biking in my opinion. I’ve had three full on face plants in a year with it now by going to hammer the pedals on rough ground only to find there’s no fucking chain attached any more. After the first crash I got really anal about checking the chain had enough tension, after the second I built the mother of all chain guides and then the fucking thing just decided to come off the back cog instead for the third crash.
    Perhaps I was always pushing it beyond its core use, or perhaps the vagueries of my steel frame flexing too much for it were a problem but a near shoulder dislocation (felt a subluxation mid crash) and another couple of weeks with no skin on my elbow knee and hip... to eBay with the fucking thing :evil:
  • JoelStinty 29 Mar 2018 09:11:52 6,586 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For anyone using Zwift, they've added Alpe Du Zwift today. A full recreation of 'Huez. Have to be level 12 though. Think i'm only on 8 at the moment.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.