Y

• elstoof 15 Jun 2019 17:50:20 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Very tidy, nice one
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Jun 2019 18:51:49 11,120 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did it come with pedals? My bike didn't. I didn't realise that was a thing now.
  • ozthegweat 15 Jun 2019 19:30:07 2,266 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had to check the receipt: no it didn't! Because apparently the shop put some MTB pedals on it free of charge. Wouldn't have known that if you hadn't asked :-)
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Jun 2019 19:33:09 11,120 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, Ribble wanted to charge me extra for pedals. £60 for some I could find online for less than half of that.

I told them to bog off.
  • Flying_Pig 15 Jun 2019 20:37:43 16,259 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    N E W B I K E D A Y
    E
    W

B
    I
    K
    E

D
    A
    Y

Very nice
  • elstoof 15 Jun 2019 21:47:21 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Most people are tribal when it comes to pedals, no point chucking SPDs on the spec sheet when theyíll only take them off for their speedplays or Looks
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Jun 2019 21:49:20 11,120 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's true, but they could chuck in some cheap, shitty flat pedals when you're dropping £1500 odd or more.
  • elstoof 15 Jun 2019 22:01:36 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Most bike shops generally do

Edited by elstoof at 22:01:42 15-06-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 Jun 2019 22:12:25 11,120 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They saw me coming.
  • elstoof 15 Jun 2019 22:19:02 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I guess with mail order they arenít obliged to give you a bike you can ride home on like an LBS is
  • mothercruncher 15 Jun 2019 23:02:09 16,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have a look on the listing CH, other half bought a Specialized Diverge the other week that was handed over minus pedals. The website stated the bike came with them and, after a quick word, got a ďfreeĒ air of plastic pedals thatíll totally do for my daughters bike.
    In my experience they mostly come with pedals and the bike shops whip them off- probably an illicit market for brand new shit pedals by the skip load out there somewhere.

Edited by mothercruncher at 23:03:01 15-06-2019
  • ozthegweat 16 Jun 2019 09:55:25 2,266 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Took it for a spin yesterday. Lovely bike!

And now I'm looking for a bike trainer. No fancy "smart" shit, the only things that are important to me are:
    - no need to remove the back wheel
    - quiet enough so I can watch something on the telly
    - folds/moves out of the way easily so it doesn't take up much space when not in use

Any recommendations?
  • elstoof 16 Jun 2019 10:12:09 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thereís no such thing as a quiet turbo trainer, and even if there was the essential fan will be making some noise. Thereís plenty of turbos that donít need the back wheel removed, but youíll want to have a dedicated turbo wheel with a turbo tyre if you donít want to melt your road tyre.

Rollers will be the quietest and least faff, you can hop on with existing tyres no worries. No resistance though.

I had a Kinetic trainer which was good, but indoor training is bollocks imo
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2019 11:06:48 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I had a Kinetic trainer which was good, but indoor training is bollocks imo
    I'll bite...

If you mean it's fucking tedious. Sure.

If you're making out it's ineffective, no. If you're time poor, there's simply no better way to maintain / improve your cycling fitness.
  • mothercruncher 16 Jun 2019 11:28:17 16,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Theyíre the most accurate, convenient and optimised way to follow a training program. Other than that, total bollocks.

The wheel off trainers are pretty silent these days oz- the only noise you hear is your bikes drivetrain. But theyíre expensive. If you want convenience then rollers may well be your best bet for a bit of exercise indoors (and you can train OK via heart rate) but if you want to follow specific training programs then youíll ideally want a smart one as you can make use of the power meters that are built in and get the greatest gains.
    Elite make rollers that have some resistance and offer power data.
  • elstoof 16 Jun 2019 12:20:27 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh theyíre effective for sure, no denying that.

But they are fucking bollocks
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2019 12:43:33 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fair enough. Can't really disagree with that, especially when you're at your absolute limits and you start to dread every fucking workout.

No-where to hide with power figures. Bastards.

Edit - I'm trying to find info on other cyclists that have the same type of injury as me, but so far not having much luck. Seems it's usually the femur that gets fractured.

I wonder what it was about my crash that was different. Also, if it could be that my socket (acetabulum) was weaker than it should have been for some reason.

I did find this, but I don't think the riders studied had surgery: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445248/

Edited by Psychotext at 12:59:07 16-06-2019
  • elstoof 16 Jun 2019 13:05:33 23,911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just canít give two shits about power numbers, thatís my problem. The sense of achievement just isnít there for me when I hold a power for however long, so I just slack off. I can only push myself out on the road
  • mothercruncher 16 Jun 2019 13:19:33 16,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iíve struggled with the workout dread this winter and, though effective, donít think Iíll use TrainerRoad next time. I need the flashy lights and jazz hands of Sufferfest in order to distract and/or motivate me.
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2019 13:26:28 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It can help... although I've been known to tell the video to fuck off when it tells me to stand up and I've just got nothing left.
  • gamecat 16 Jun 2019 14:33:05 861 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    History of any osteoporosis in the family? When I did my wrist last year, I was recommended a dexa scan because my fracture suggested my bone density maybe lower than normal. Not been for the scan, as the nearest place that does one is flipping miles away. Maybe worth checking out for yourself though.

Power number are nothing to get excited about, they are just a measuring tool, to know where you should be training at, if you can manage do that through HR alone then I guess that's fine.

Unrelated: This is a damn good read about what happened to that Kickstarter Chinese bike of the future or whatever, SpeedX.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/06/what-happened-to-speedx/
  • mothercruncher 16 Jun 2019 14:39:43 16,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The TrainerRoad FTP step test is an absolute walk in the park compared to The Sufferfestís one for mental games for me.
    A background mostly off-road means Iím OK at repeated short hard efforts but holding power at threshold is my main weakness. Iím a lactate intolerant cyclist \o/
    Worked my arse off on that specifically this winter and boy has it paid off.

Doesnít years of endurance exercise lower testosterone and bone density?
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2019 16:19:28 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, in theory it does. But I've always done weight training to go along with it. Admittedly not as much in the last 9 months though as I wanted to concentrate on getting my cycling fitness back (some good that was now, lol)

Maybe I should just get on the old testosterone replacement therapy.

No history of osteoporosis in my family that I'm aware of. I would be tempted to get tested, though fuck knows what could actually be done about it past that point.
  • gamecat 16 Jun 2019 18:10:42 861 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The sufferfest test seems pointlessly arduous, I know they try and back it up with all sorts of science, but if you are just after a number to base your over-under/sweetspot efforts on, then a ramp test is fine imo. It's also very repeatable without killing yourself, so you can do it every few weeks to track your progress.

edit: on the scan thing, I'm not sure what they could do.. but it would be something? You have to push fairly hard for it apparently, it's expensive and NHS and money don't mix.

Edited by gamecat at 18:13:44 16-06-2019
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2019 18:17:39 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have private health insurance, so I could push their direction instead (especially just after breaking my hip).
  • MikeP 16 Jun 2019 18:54:40 2,942 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I guess with mail order they arenít obliged to give you a bike you can ride home on like an LBS is
    Yep, that's the case. Bikes sold by physical stores are supposed to have the legally required kit fitted, so that's reflectors, pedals, and a bell. I have seen a very expensive TT bike roll out of a store with wheel reflectors fitted, which is just ridiculous.
  • mothercruncher 16 Jun 2019 19:00:52 16,466 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I agree The Sufferfest test is arduous compared to a ramp test but I canít help feeling a ramp test only suits road type cycling where those sustained efforts are more important and FTP therefore most applicable. The Sufferfest measuring 5 second, 1 minute etc max powers seems to be able to define you more in the round via that longer test and therefore has a chance at fitting more cyclists. Not expert enough to then say whether that wider spread of figures is then well used by their training programs. Iíve absolutely been happier to do the three ramp tests Iíve done with TR the past six months than any Sufferfest Full Frontal previously though!
  • Psychotext 16 Jun 2019 19:10:48 65,469 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, TR ramp tests are like, OK... I could do one in a couple of days.

It takes weeks for me to feel like I'd be willing to go through the new (ish) Sufferfest test again.
  • SmoothMartin 16 Jun 2019 23:42:34 878 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Psychotext

I looked at dexa tests after my fracture as thereís some evidence that cyclists can suffer from lower bone density due to the non weight baring exercise; though to be at risk you probably have to be doing a lot of cycling if I remember, so more of an issue to proís. Excessive sweating can also be a factor I think so long turbo sessions could be more of a problem.

As far as getting a scan, the NHS only really want to do them for osteoporosis patients and similar. You can get one for about £125 in South Wales https://www.southwales.ac.uk/welsh-institute-chiropractic/dxa-scanning-service/.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.