The cycling thread Page 543

  • Psychotext 17 Jun 2019 00:10:36 65,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do (did?) weight train for exactly this reason... but maybe not enough. Still, seems to be helping with all the single leg stuff now.

    Cheers for the link. Pricing seems reasonable enough.
  • freddymercurystwin 17 Jun 2019 10:58:32 1,655 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What are the thoughts on bells on bikes? I am astonished by the total arrogance of (some not all) cyclists on cycle paths (in particular) those types of paths shared by pedestrians, dogs, and families out riding, dads with tag-alongs and everything in between. I have a bell, I ring it to let people know I wish to pass, both cyclists but am constantly amazed by how many cyclists don’t (generally the lycra clad brigade), they either don’t have one or don’t see the reason to ring it, they seem to think others are psychic, is there an image problem attached to having or using a bell? And don’t get me going on the groups of 3 or 4 bellends who charge along these supposedly pedestrian friendly paths and must hope for the best that at the last possible second little Johnny who can barely go in a straight line won’t weave into their path!
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Jun 2019 11:01:15 10,886 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How many points are on your license again?
  • elstoof 17 Jun 2019 11:07:34 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The “Lycra clad brigade” don’t typically use those shared use cycle paths because they’re full of pedestrians getting in your way when you want to press on. I don’t have a bell, it’s utterly pointless if you stick to roads as a car isn’t ever going to pay attention. If a pedestrian steps out in front of me a shout is quicker and louder than any bell
  • SnackPlissken 17 Jun 2019 11:08:03 1,018 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I don't have a bell but if I'm going to pass a pedestrian in front on a tow path for instance I'll give a quick excuse me whilst slowing down....

    Edited by SnackPlissken at 11:08:22 17-06-2019
  • freddymercurystwin 17 Jun 2019 11:17:30 1,655 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The “Lycra clad brigade” don’t typically use those shared use cycle paths because they’re full of pedestrians
    Apparently some of the cycle paths to which I am refereeing are used by the lycra brigade.
  • elstoof 17 Jun 2019 11:38:40 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They’re mugs thrn
  • Psychotext 17 Jun 2019 12:01:27 65,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    First visit to "my" physio seemed to go pretty well. He seemed pleased with the mobility / strength that I've currently got and has given me additional exercises on top of what the hospital gave me.

    He's looking at trying to get me onto an "AlterG" machine, which is pretty exciting. Will help massively with my rehab.

    https://www.alterg.com/
  • elstoof 17 Jun 2019 12:27:24 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Good stuff mate
  • mothercruncher 17 Jun 2019 13:08:55 16,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Those things look crazy, hope it works.
    Plus, you can fart with impunity so win win.
  • pacrifice 22 Jun 2019 04:47:59 4,784 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cyclist must pay up to £100,000 to woman who stepped out in front of him.

    https://news.sky.com/story/cyclist-must-pay-up-to-100-000-to-woman-who-stepped-out-in-front-of-him-11746484


    Get some insurance people.
  • Psychotext 22 Jun 2019 11:02:39 65,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I assume the British Cycling membership would cover that?

    Third party liability stuff.
  • elstoof 22 Jun 2019 18:11:25 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah if you’re a member. Also club memberships cover in the same way I think as long as they’re BC affiliated, so have a think about you Porn Pedallers subs PT
  • thelzdking 23 Jun 2019 18:41:22 9,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't get it. The cyclist is liable because he proceeded when the road wasn't clear? But the road wasn't clear because the pedestrian was careless. Does the judge hate cyclists?
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Jun 2019 18:52:12 6,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It rarely if ever happens on my Peloton
  • elstoof 23 Jun 2019 19:46:17 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I don't get it. The cyclist is liable because he proceeded when the road wasn't clear? But the road wasn't clear because the pedestrian was careless. Does the judge hate cyclists?
    It was ruled as 50/50 liability because yeah, she shouldn’t have been on the road, but he also created the situation with his riding. He could see with plenty of time in advance that there was a group of pedestrians crossing the road, instead of slowing and creating space for himself he careered on at the same speed assuming everyone would continue at the same trajectory and he could squeeze through without slowing. The fact she only had to step back to hit him shows how close his pass would have been. The only reason he has to pay anything is because she brought the case against him and he didn’t counter claim, it’s a shame he’s being punished for his naïveté but there’s the justice system for you
  • thelzdking 23 Jun 2019 20:10:18 9,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    I don't get it. The cyclist is liable because he proceeded when the road wasn't clear? But the road wasn't clear because the pedestrian was careless. Does the judge hate cyclists?
    It was ruled as 50/50 liability because yeah, she shouldn’t have been on the road, but he also created the situation with his riding. He could see with plenty of time in advance that there was a group of pedestrians crossing the road, instead of slowing and creating space for himself he careered on at the same speed assuming everyone would continue at the same trajectory and he could squeeze through without slowing. The fact she only had to step back to hit him shows how close his pass would have been. The only reason he has to pay anything is because she brought the case against him and he didn’t counter claim, it’s a shame he’s being punished for his naïveté but there’s the justice system for you
    Hmm. If he had plenty of time to react and didn't then I see the argument. Still a bit fucking shitty, but, as you say, the legal system.
  • elstoof 23 Jun 2019 20:27:10 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    She’s clearly a bit of a cunt in suing him, but he’s also a bit stupid for not getting any legal advice straight away thinking the courts would just solve it all
  • Flying_Pig 24 Jun 2019 07:29:12 16,196 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So I fly to Croatia on Wednesday for my 500km charity bike ride. I've put the practice in, got the kit and am all ready to go.

    I'm a bit apprehensive about spending 4 consecutive days on the bike, but that aside, am really looking forward to it.

    I had to drop off my bike in Central London yesterday, so did a final 96km ride - which was fine until I arrived in Uxbridge - from there it wss pretty horrible - loads of traffic and lots of traffic lights etc. I wouldn't choose to do that again!
  • mothercruncher 24 Jun 2019 07:34:01 16,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck dude. Keep eating on the bike and aim to ride a notch down from you usual pace. Apologies to your arse in advance.
  • challenge_hanukkah 24 Jun 2019 07:40:53 10,886 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lashings and lashings of chamois cream.
  • Flying_Pig 24 Jun 2019 12:09:34 16,196 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Good luck dude. Keep eating on the bike and aim to ride a notch down from you usual pace. Apologies to your arse in advance.
    Well, my usual training pace is about 27/28kph, but I think the group will be among at somethink closer to 20.

    And I have a lovely big pot of Chamois cream :)
  • askew 24 Jun 2019 21:38:12 19,288 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Take it easy with the heatwave if it stretches to Croatia. Currently in the north of Italy and it is toasty.
  • Flying_Pig 25 Jun 2019 07:04:17 16,196 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Take it easy with the heatwave if it stretches to Croatia. Currently in the north of Italy and it is toasty.
    It's forecast to be in the mid 30s while we're there

    I've got my Camelback and factor 50 sun screen at the ready :)
  • Psychotext 25 Jun 2019 10:24:17 65,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For what it's worth, I tend to avoid chamois cream when it's crazy hot. I've ended up with swampcrotch before now because of it.

    Seriously unpleasant. Definitely need to keep things fairly dry down there if you're doing multiple days in hot weather.
  • SnackPlissken 25 Jun 2019 10:46:43 1,018 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I cycled in Vietnam and regretted every minute. Way too fucking hot.
  • Flying_Pig 27 Jun 2019 15:36:40 16,196 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Croatia Day 1 summary:
    Start time: 5am
    Distance:157.6km
    Time: 6h22
    Temperature at finish: 33c
    Times chased by dogs: 2
    Top Speed: 39.6 mph
    Finishing position: 6th
  • mothercruncher 27 Jun 2019 16:07:11 16,266 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good job dude👍
  • elstoof 27 Jun 2019 16:15:09 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nice one
  • elstoof 27 Jun 2019 16:15:10 23,418 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nice one
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.