The cycling thread Page 545

• askew 5 Jul 2019 12:57:08 19,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    5' 9" + 29" inseam. Have I got stubby legs? I think a small would be sufficient going off the range of heights on the chart further down.
  • elstoof 5 Jul 2019 13:10:14 23,680 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No idea about mtb sizing personally
  • Psychotext 5 Jul 2019 13:17:33 65,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Medium. No question.
  • andytheadequate 5 Jul 2019 14:08:33 9,076 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely a medium. Modern bikes have short seat tubes so you'll have no issues with clearance. I'm 5 9 with a short ish leg and a small would be too small for me.
  • askew 5 Jul 2019 14:39:32 19,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think it was the reach I was concerned about, rather than standover height. I don't want to feel stretched as I've found myself on slightly too large road bikes.
  • elstoof 5 Jul 2019 14:48:04 23,680 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stem and bars are a lot shorter on mtb as far as Iím aware, if youíre looking at reach to the headset in comparison to road bikes
  • Flying_Pig 5 Jul 2019 20:54:43 16,239 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I ride there quite a lot, itís beautiful but the hills are relentless. Not particularly steep generally, but youíre without going up or coming down, thereís no flat. The descents are nice and quick, usually quite straight so you can bomb it down easily without worrying too much about binning it, but this also means youíll be back at the foot of another hill sooner than youíd like. I donít know what your fitness is like, but Iíd say just donít go off too hard too soon as itíll be a long and hard day
    I'm not too worried about the distance, but it's definitely more hilly than I'm used to. I'm not built like your average cyclist, so find the hills tougher, although gravity works in my favour on the descent :)

I'll probably start off pretty slowly and find a good rhythm and stick to my own pace, rather than trying to keep up with a certain group. For me, it's about ensuring a decent finish, rather than aiming for a specific time (although I should be sub-7 hours) or finishing position...

gamecat wrote:
    Generic sportive advice I guess: Don't hang about too much at feed stops, you'll just get cold, maybe skip first stop entirely. Try and find a similar speed group to you, if you tag a too fast group just sit up and chill till the next group comes along. Be aware the standard of group riding on these things is really poor, people will cut you up and half wheel you all day, make extra allowances in your riding for the stupid. Enjoy the ride!
    I'll probably stop at each feed stop, but only really to shove down some calories and top up on water. I'm not one to hang about - I just want to get going.

Thanks gents :)
  • elstoof 5 Jul 2019 21:11:49 23,680 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sub7 is very doable, depending on fitness. 5 hours moving shouldnít be an impossible target for a decent club rider
  • Psychotext 5 Jul 2019 21:24:19 65,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Stem and bars are a lot shorter on mtb as far as Iím aware, if youíre looking at reach to the headset in comparison to road bikes
    Plus, if it comes to it they can just replace the stem.
  • andytheadequate 5 Jul 2019 23:14:08 9,076 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    askew wrote:
    I think it was the reach I was concerned about, rather than standover height. I don't want to feel stretched as I've found myself on slightly too large road bikes.
    Reach isn't important when seated, only when standing. The canyon will have a steep seat tube angle and a short stem which will mean you won't be too stretched out. You can move the saddle forward too if you need to.

When standing for the descents then a longer reach is generally an advantage as it's far more stable. You definitely need a medium, a small would be too cramped.
  • Flying_Pig 14 Jul 2019 17:18:11 16,239 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    So after finishing my Croatian ride, I've signed myself up for the L'Etape UK race next weekend...

I'm not expecting to be up anywhere near the front and it's as much about finishing the thing as it is about doing well, but has anyone done something like this before and have any tips for a novice?
    Done. Really good but with some evil hill climbs. Took a shade over 6h20 (excluding feed stops) which is probably a bit slower than I would have liked, but I'm satisfied with the result, seeing as it was my first race :)
  • askew 14 Jul 2019 17:33:22 19,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I signed up for my provisional race licence and did my first crit this week. Fuck about. Dropped off the first hairpin and lost the group. Sat up and waited for them next time and somebody DNF'd so at least I didn't come 20th!

Going to try a road race at the end of the month.
  • mothercruncher 14 Jul 2019 21:45:49 16,394 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to race downhill MTB and still race cyclocross occasionally. Both of those are largely solo efforts though- there are local crit races coming to my town in September but Iím not sure I trust racing that close to other knobheads who canít hold a line or dive for gaps that arenít there. I donít like hitting trees etc but at least if I do itís my mistake!
  • MikeP 14 Jul 2019 22:50:57 2,939 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Having worked as a bike mechanic, I can tell you that the day after Crystal Palace crits was always interesting.

More than once I had to wash the blood off someone's bike before starting to deal with crash damage, so yeah - Crits. No thanks.
  • elstoof 15 Jul 2019 09:31:04 23,680 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Youíre on a hiding to nothing with amateur racing. Too many zwift heroes with good power but non existent handling skills, and a smattering of drugs at the higher levels
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2019 15:05:48 65,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good news!

Just had my 6 week check-up (fractured acetabulum), and apparently everything is where it needs to be. I'm now going to be able to partial weight bear on my right leg. Basically means I can put half my body weight on that side, so in theory I can stand unaided (obviously still need my crutches to move).

6 weeks to next test, but at least I can do different exercises now to ease the boredom. Looking forward to trying out Alter-G too.

Swelling still pretty bad at the moment, but hoping it will get better now I'm able to get the leg working a bit more to improve blood flow. Going to slowly try to start sleeping on my side again now that I'm not so worried about pressure on the hip.

Onwards and upwards!
  • askew 19 Jul 2019 15:10:05 19,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hooray! How's the weight gain/loss?
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2019 15:27:16 65,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Roughly as planned. I've been aiming for somewhere in the order of half a kg a week gained, and I'm there or thereabouts.

None of it muscle of course, but at least my body should have what it needs to heal the bone.
  • mothercruncher 19 Jul 2019 17:15:58 16,394 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good stuff, can't starve yourself while fixing yourself.
  • Psychotext 19 Jul 2019 17:16:45 65,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I can lose it later if I have to. I can never improve a screwed up bone.
  • SnackPlissken 2 Aug 2019 10:59:27 1,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm looking at a new bike and I love my cyclocross so I might go for something like that again. What's the difference between an adventure and a cyclocross? They seem very similar.
  • askew 2 Aug 2019 11:11:34 19,563 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Would imagine the latter is not going to feature attachments for bags and mudguards. And the geometry will likely be more aggressive?
  • SnackPlissken 2 Aug 2019 11:26:55 1,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah I just found an article explaining the difference. Seems adventure might be worth looking into for longer rides.
  • mothercruncher 2 Aug 2019 11:44:27 16,394 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What askew said, yep. Iíd recommend an adventure/gravel bike if youíre planning on touring around as itíll take racks, mudguards. Manufacturers donít help things by blurring the lines so much but in general CX bikes are race bikes with none of the extra niceties and, more importantly can be harder work because theyíre likely to have taller gearing as the course are flattish.
  • SnackPlissken 5 Aug 2019 13:06:26 1,107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm undecided on what to get. Marin, Boardman or Genesis.
  • Chug666 5 Aug 2019 13:41:33 590 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SnackPlissken I've just built up a Genesis Croix de Fer and it is the dogs danglies- heavy compared to a road bike but it cruises along beautifully. Loads of scope to add bits and tweak the setup too, so it covers my unending need to fiddle. I love it, so get one of them!
  • mothercruncher 5 Aug 2019 13:59:00 16,394 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonnes of value in Boardman bikes, but less re-sale value.
  • MikeP 10 Aug 2019 19:46:14 2,939 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @SnackPlissken I have a Genesis Day One 20. You can find them on really heavy discount (retail is £999, I paid £500 for mine)

Low hassle hub gears, decent kit, complete with mudguards as standard. It's proven to be a zero-hassle daily commuter and would make a good basis for a tourer as well.
  • steellam 11 Aug 2019 15:12:02 1,062 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Funny gravel bikes coming up, after exclusively being a mountain biker for 15 years a kid has limited my ability to chuck the bike in the van and go out all day I have ventured into drop bars and clip on pedals with this - and I love it :D

It's a Canyon Grail 8. Over 400 quid off the 2350 asking price in the sale and the missus can drop the seat and use it to commute to work.

*edit* Can't get google photos link to work sorry :)

Edited by steellam at 15:13:38 11-08-2019
  • Psychotext 11 Aug 2019 15:19:42 65,356 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Going to try half hour at 100w today. Sounds like nothing, but would definitely be a step forward on my recovery.

I'm sure Froome is already back to setting KOMs. :(

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.