The cycling thread Page 554

• MikeP 28 Mar 2020 13:48:14 2,965 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Likewise. I'm just going to start some gentle steady conditioning and indoor riding to build a bit of fitness.

I have a long-term goal that I'll aim for. 2021 is the 10-year anniversary of riding John O'Groats to Lands End. My friend and I have decided to go back and do it again, only this time we're planning on doing it the 'right' way round, from South to North.
  • mothercruncher 28 Mar 2020 14:14:23 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Worked really hard Jan/Feb/Mar on a training program and had a year of events lined up. Still hopeful Septembers might go ahead but, yeah, realistically not.
    Just have a feeling the “one exercise a day” thing is going to have some sort of “within x kilometres” condition added soon and not thrilled about the prospect of that bloody garage again /o\
  • Psychotext 28 Mar 2020 14:18:19 66,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If I'm not breathing properly by the end of next week I'll be cancelling everything I had planned anyway. Maybe long term to be honest, I can't go through getting to that level of fitness again only for it to get taken away so easily via injury / sickness.
  • askew 28 Mar 2020 14:22:20 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just be careful not to overdo it in terms of training load: the risk is that we'll all just keep building and building because there're no events to taper down for! :D

I'm guessing my Girona trip at the start of May has zero chance of going ahead. I was most excited that we'd got a reservation at El Celler de Can Roca :(
  • Psychotext 28 Mar 2020 14:28:20 66,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd assume everything until July will be off in Italy.
  • thelzdking 28 Mar 2020 21:41:50 10,020 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Very nice. Get some tyre levers and patches/tubes, use the bad weather to practice taking the tyre off for the inevitable flat
    I'm going to ask what feels like a really dumb question, but is it much different to a hybrid/commuter bike? Are super-thin tyres more difficult to remove?

Still raining as well. I suppose I can ride up and down the hallway...

Edited by thelzdking at 21:42:54 28-03-2020
  • elstoof 28 Mar 2020 22:11:47 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Depends entirely on the tyre/rim. Narrower tyres give you less room to stuff the tube in, more chance of pinching it
  • askew 29 Mar 2020 11:09:56 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anybody got a preferred dry lube? Getting pretty miffed at the lack of staying power of Finish Line's product. I feel I have to reapply it before every ride, whereas I thought it would last a few 100 km at least.
  • Psychotext 29 Mar 2020 12:27:26 66,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/fast-chain-lube-that-saves-you-money/

I've used squirt to good effect, but it can't handle any sort of moisture in my experience.

More tests here: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/ (links at the top)

Edited by Psychotext at 12:28:56 29-03-2020
  • mothercruncher 29 Mar 2020 15:48:37 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I use mustard on my chainus.
  • elstoof 29 Mar 2020 15:59:20 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I’ve never noticed any real difference with various lubes. Apart from Pedro’s, which is a bore to clean if the muck gets on the frame when washing. I used Purple Extreme for years until the bottle ran out, it was fine. Now I’m using ProGold which is also fine, apart from the stupid bottle cap that I unscrewed all the way off the first time and poured a load of lube on my bike/floor

Edited by elstoof at 16:01:00 29-03-2020
  • jamesarthur29 29 Mar 2020 16:08:29 12 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hello chaps. Cycling these deserted streets (Bedford) during our daily exercise break is rather pleasant isn't it? Not a car in sight!
  • MikeP 29 Mar 2020 19:28:42 2,965 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Anybody got a preferred dry lube? Getting pretty miffed at the lack of staying power of Finish Line's product. I feel I have to reapply it before every ride, whereas I thought it would last a few 100 km at least.
    Feel like I can speak with some authority on this, what with having actually worked as a bike mechanic!

Best one I've used by far is Fenwick's Stealth. Not one for 'shop' work, as for best durability it needs to be applied and left overnight. However, for me the combination of relatively infrequent reapplication intervals, ease of cleaning, and lubrication quality it's a winner.

Squirt is good, although we got the impression they changed the formulation at some point. For a wax it's relatively durable and you can reapply for a while without having to completely clean everything. Excess just flakes off.

Pro Gold I hated, not sure if they have different formulations but the variant I had absolutely stank of petrochemicals and had very poor durabilty.
  • askew 30 Mar 2020 18:16:47 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cheers Mike – I may give Stealth a go. I don't mind leaving overnight. Anything to not have the chain squeaking and sounding dry by the end of a trainer workout. I think I liked the grease they apply in the factory for quiet and smooth running, though cleaned that off before I went outside.

Bonus: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling-group-workouts
  • Psychotext 31 Mar 2020 10:57:08 66,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't think I've lubed my trainer chain in... jesus, maybe 4 years?

I've also done well over a thousand hours on it, so I don't know how it isn't stretched to hell and back. I guess it helps that I bought the most industrial / heavy looking one I could find. :)

Edited by Psychotext at 10:57:39 31-03-2020
  • elstoof 31 Mar 2020 11:46:04 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That’s costing you WWWWWW
  • askew 31 Mar 2020 12:44:12 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just the WWWWW
  • Psychotext 31 Mar 2020 16:47:35 66,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Makes precisely no difference. I'm not going to get anywhere faster, and I don't really care what size people think my virtual dick is!
  • askew 1 Apr 2020 10:00:38 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Movistar documentary on Netflix has been pretty good thus far. Episodes are 30 minutes, and I've done the first three which cover the Giro. While I recognise that it's probably sanitised – and the Giro went well for them – the DS's come across as likeable; so too Landa and Carapaz.

Next up: the tour and Narioman…

Lots of 'puta' and 'cajones' too.
  • mothercruncher 1 Apr 2020 14:00:26 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, watched two, so probably too early to say, but there must have been major drama with Nairoman that year, and, as you say, very little will probably be shown. He was a different rider free of Movistar this year.
    They were tactically inept all year, you could make a great documentary off of that. Not sure this is it, but very watchable nonetheless. Not any more endeared to Valverde, but then that’s not a surprise.
  • mothercruncher 2 Apr 2020 13:38:23 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Watched number 3, Carapaz is really likeable isn’t he?
    What a fucking drain being first and dealing with all that press bullshit while all of your rivals are recovering looks.
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Apr 2020 13:52:15 2,072 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Does anyone know the name of a cycling TV programme that was on the TV perhaps two years ago (I expect they have been shown before and after then on various channels), I watched it on Freesat and each episode was half an hour and it just followed two Pro cyclists (Italian maybe) cycling through various beautiful parts of the Alps or Switzerland or Ital#y or wherever and they'd just have a bit of a chat about this and that as they went - an easy going watch. I have an inkling to try and find it, I used to enjoy it being on in the background, the scenery/locations being the stars of the show.
  • askew 2 Apr 2020 15:40:47 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Watched number 3, Carapaz is really likeable isn’t he?
    What a fucking drain being first and dealing with all that press bullshit while all of your rivals are recovering looks.
    Aye. Has a very small face, mind… Episode 4 actually had me feeling somewhat sympathetic to Quintana. Whether he felt distanced because he's not a Spaniard (though Amador is Costa Rican), or as the 'superstar' of the team. Glad he's been looking better as part of Arkea.
  • mothercruncher 2 Apr 2020 16:14:38 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    iirc he had his face cauterised smaller in order to save weight.
  • Psychotext 2 Apr 2020 21:52:40 66,688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just tried an "easy" trainer session... was a mistake. Definitely not well yet, still can't breathe properly.

Had to lay down for about 10 mins when I got in the house. :(
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Apr 2020 09:34:27 2,072 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone else still out cycling regularly, for fitness/pleasure rather than essential commuting? I'm off for ride today at some point, probably about 2-3hrs which is technically breaching the instructions I think. I still see plenty of cyclists out but can't believe many are sticking to an hour.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 09:34:48 05-04-2020
  • mothercruncher 5 Apr 2020 12:17:12 17,627 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    While it lasts, yep. Do worry this weekend will be the one that breaks it though.

Have never seen so many cyclists and so few cars out, it’s slightly weird. Had a comical one last week on a long climb. Was following someone up it and obviously only fractionally fitter. I was doing my best to maintain distance but had a looooong awkward 20 seconds where I was overtaking at a snails pace in the middle of the road, just couldn’t get past fast enough 😬
  • elstoof 5 Apr 2020 13:36:14 25,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There’s no limit to one hour. I’ve been going out as normal, I don’t cycle indoors. 40-50k rides during the week, about 1-1:30 depending. Average speeds are quicker as there’s less traffic getting out of town. Just got back from 70k around Herts, the few big roads I had to pass were eerily quiet. Lots of families out, vast majority of cyclist are solo, and a couple of paired up riders who I’ll assume live together
  • gamecat 5 Apr 2020 14:51:31 965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yea that hour thing was something Gove pulled from his backside, just be sensible, don't go out and smash 200k or some black runs with 20ft drops. I've noticed the idiot driver percentage has gone way up, more people about on bikes and more people walking. Walkers seem to think because they haven't seen a car in 5 minutes that they are now in the Austrian alps and like to form hand in hand formations across the entire road.

Edited by gamecat at 14:51:56 05-04-2020
  • askew 5 Apr 2020 16:10:49 21,339 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did you see that Joe Skipper went out for a 9hour Tour of Norfolk last weekend? Got quite the backlash…

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.