The cycling thread Page 564

• gamecat 23 Jun 2020 23:04:31 977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Check your through axle/ quick release is tight, maybe lube your forks with ptfe spray, do both those a matter of course really.

edit: ok that looks weird on a new page.

Edited by gamecat at 23:05:05 23-06-2020
  • SnackPlissken 24 Jun 2020 08:41:49 1,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've taken the wheel off. Seems to be inside the fork.. I'm not overly confident of taking it apart so perhaps LBS is the best option :/ just don't want it ride it for hours like that in case its causing a big issue. Before I do that I might take the headset off and give it an extra bit of grease but I'm certain it isn't coming from there.
  • elstoof 26 Jun 2020 18:44:03 25,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My Garmin displayed 35C this morning, glad I took a bottle for once
  • askew 26 Jun 2020 19:19:33 21,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Crikey. I only went for ~1 hour in zone 2 and I was 0.4kg lighter than pre-ride, despite consuming my 500ml bidon. o_o
  • elstoof 26 Jun 2020 19:33:57 25,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thought I was going to fuse to my jersey
  • mothercruncher 26 Jun 2020 21:34:56 17,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I did three hours, still donít feel right 😣
  • thelzdking 26 Jun 2020 21:47:43 10,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weather has been atrocious here for about two weeks. Seem to be getting a cold now too.
  • elstoof 26 Jun 2020 22:54:37 25,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Almost as if the seasons are opposite somehow
  • thelzdking 26 Jun 2020 23:46:36 10,076 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Touchť. But two weeks of constantly shit weather is pretty unusual here, even in winter.
  • SnackPlissken 27 Jun 2020 11:00:26 1,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    When it rains it pours.. got a massive thorn in my tyre. I was taking it to the LBS anyway but fuck sake haha.
  • gamecat 27 Jun 2020 20:51:12 977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stuff it, booked a week in Mallorca in Sept before the prices go crazy. Looking forward to a week of not being close passed at 100mph.
  • SnackPlissken 28 Jun 2020 22:27:43 1,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think weíve got peak bike lockdown crazy. Saw a rather large fellow with jeans on riding down the main road on a full suspension Nukeproof which is probably a good 2k. Heís living the dream.
  • Psychotext 29 Jun 2020 02:38:53 66,953 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've seen some beautiful bikes out... but honestly, 99% have been Halfords specials.

Bizarrely I saw someone out on a £10k+ TT bike the other day... and I say bizarrely as he was riding with a couple of people on absolute clunkers.

Edit - Oh, and it had a fully aero (enclosed) rear wheel. Given he was on an exposed bit of dual carriageway I didn't fancy his chances of surviving the ride.

Edited by Psychotext at 02:41:14 29-06-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 29 Jun 2020 03:34:30 2,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whilst driving yesterday along a dual carriageway, I noticed a cyclist (a pro looking gal with all the gear) was cycling in the gutter, against the flow of traffic! 😲
  • SnackPlissken 29 Jun 2020 09:52:11 1,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really want a Nukeproof Scout now...
  • mothercruncher 29 Jun 2020 13:38:15 17,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    N+1.

AND SO IT BEGINS
  • Vortex808 29 Jun 2020 13:49:03 13,799 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The n+1 rule for bikes still makes me laugh.

And is pretty much true.

:-)
  • SnackPlissken 29 Jun 2020 13:59:56 1,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm gonna need a bigger shed.
  • Chug666 29 Jun 2020 14:24:38 702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SnackPlissken I passed a guy riding on the A31 yesterday, being overtaken by cars and trucks doing dual carriageway speeds. Miles and miles of New Forest on either side.

And I agree on the Scout, they look fun. I'm desperately trying to resist the pull of a new mountain bike because I'd not be able to stop at a Scout and would gravitate towards new steel frames and expensive bits to fit to it. Stanton Sherpa currently top of that list...
  • andytheadequate 29 Jun 2020 15:02:39 9,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a Stanton Slackline for a few years and it was lovely, can't beat a nice steel frame. My current bike is a steel full suss, mainly got it because I like the look of steel bikes rather than for any rational reason.
  • andytheadequate 29 Jun 2020 15:07:13 9,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And don't fall into the N+1 rules. Find a bike you like and suits your riding and stick with that, unless there's a specific reason not to. Buying endless bikes is equivalent to buying games at launch, playing them for 2 hours then buying the next shiny game. Just a way of spending a load of money acquiring things that have little purpose. No bike can do everything well so everything is a compromise just embrace the compromise rather than trying to fill every niche.

The exception to this is if you're into road and mountain biking, makes complete sense to have a bike for each then.
  • christourlord 29 Jun 2020 15:50:16 2,766 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Every bike I have bought or built over the years which wasn't quite right has been a burden. There's the obvious physical space they take up, but also the guilty feeling that I'm not riding them enough, or the niggling feeling that maybe they're not quite right and I should have bought something else instead. There have been many of these bikes over the years and some of them still haunt my garage, or parts of them hang from rafters or in oily boxes around the place.
  • andytheadequate 29 Jun 2020 15:57:30 9,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, I hate the guilt of not riding a bike enough. I used to also constantly think that I'd be better off on another bike whenever out on a ride, rather than just enjoying whatever I was on.

And that's ignoring the extra cost. The stupidest myth in the mountain bike world is the idea of buying a winter hardtail to save money. I've fallen for it before, but when you think about it, spending 1-2k on a bike to save a bit of money on bearings and possibly servicing a rear shock seems a bit mental really.
  • SnackPlissken 29 Jun 2020 16:35:45 1,858 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah you're right. I've been riding about the streets at lunch under lockdown as its a way to get out for an hour. It fits that need and riding trails. If I got the Scout I don't think I'd be using it on the streets.
  • christourlord 29 Jun 2020 16:48:26 2,766 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How many potholes per mile are there in your local area? If it's above 5 you probably need a cyclocross bike. If it's under 5 but you plan on riding on a bridleway once, then you'll need a gravel bike.

You will also need apparel specific to whichever category you fall into, so please ensure you are correctly dressed for your chosen discipline.

Edited by christourlord at 16:48:43 29-06-2020
  • tadejpogacar 29 Jun 2020 16:58:20 262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    just get an arkose lads
  • elstoof 29 Jun 2020 17:03:50 25,682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    And don't fall into the N+1 rules. Find a bike you like and suits your riding and stick with that, unless there's a specific reason not to. Buying endless bikes is equivalent to buying games at launch, playing them for 2 hours then buying the next shiny game. Just a way of spending a load of money acquiring things that have little purpose. No bike can do everything well so everything is a compromise just embrace the compromise rather than trying to fill every niche.

The exception to this is if you're into road and mountain biking, makes complete sense to have a bike for each then.
    Iíve got 5 road bikes that all do essentially the same thing, just in different colours 🤷‍♂️
  • andytheadequate 29 Jun 2020 17:09:37 9,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    christourlord wrote:
    How many potholes per mile are there in your local area? If it's above 5 you probably need a cyclocross bike. If it's under 5 but you plan on riding on a bridleway once, then you'll need a gravel bike.

You will also need apparel specific to whichever category you fall into, so please ensure you are correctly dressed for your chosen discipline.
    The argument in favour of gravel bikes always make me laugh. "They're so versatile, they can do everything", said by someone who generally also owns a road bike and mountain bike...

To be fair, they do make a lot of sense as a single bike got a lot of people, but generally it's just an excuse to buy more stuff.
  • andytheadequate 29 Jun 2020 17:12:37 9,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:

Iíve got 5 road bikes that all do essentially the same thing, just in different colours 🤷‍♂️
    It would stress me out having so many different bikes, nevermind all in the same style! But each to their own. I understand the appeal of getting a new bike though, I just tend to replace my old one when buying a new one rather than collecting them.
  • tadejpogacar 29 Jun 2020 17:13:44 262 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    my gravel bike (pinnacle arkose D3) = winter road bike; commuter; pub bike; touring bike; for use on light trails; and....... actually riding gravel.

couple it with a nice light summer bike, it's a near-perfect setup

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.