The cycling thread Page 567

Next Last
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Oct 2020 09:19:52 10,901 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am in my mid-forties, and, unfortunately, the days of being able to cycle five miles to and from the gym and lifting heavy are over.

So, I bought a VanMoof S3 a few weeks ago. It is awesome, the inbuilt security is great because not all Canadians are nice, and I didn't fancy an ebike with a derailleur, is just seems a faff. It appears to be all weather and the inbuilt lights are terrific.

Recomeded
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Oct 2020 09:27:44 13,172 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have you tried not being old?
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Oct 2020 09:30:18 10,901 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yes, I did a few days ago at the climbing center. I was absolutely fucked the next day though. Went up walls like a 25 year old, spent the next day feeling like an 80 year old
  • SnackPlissken 18 Oct 2020 10:52:53 2,185 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    But how are you going to hit the trails on that?
  • DaM 18 Oct 2020 12:53:01 17,488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I am in my mid-forties, and, unfortunately, the days of being able to cycle five miles to and from the gym and lifting heavy are over.

So, I bought a VanMoof S3 a few weeks ago. It is awesome, the inbuilt security is great because not all Canadians are nice, and I didn't fancy an ebike with a derailleur, is just seems a faff. It appears to be all weather and the inbuilt lights are terrific.

Recomeded
    I've got an S2, I mainly use it for commuting and food shopping (with panniers). I think e-bikes have got a lot of potential for getting people out of cars. They just take the edge off hills, weather etc.

Have you unlocked the assist cut-off? Not sure what setting yours is on in Canada, but you can use the app to remove it. I've heard that the police in Germany are actually enforcing the laws on this. It's an EU law, so I expect Brexit will enable the bikes to go close to light speed.

I do manage to sometimes go on longer rides on normal bikes though...
  • elstoof 18 Oct 2020 12:57:38 26,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Do you take the escalator as well

Edited by elstoof at 12:58:38 18-10-2020
  • fontgeeksogood 18 Oct 2020 15:33:24 10,901 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:

Recomeded
    I've got an S2, I mainly use it for commuting and food shopping (with panniers). I think e-bikes have got a lot of potential for getting people out of cars. They just take the edge off hills, weather etc.

Have you unlocked the assist cut-off? Not sure what setting yours is on in Canada, but you can use the app to remove it. I've heard that the police in Germany are actually enforcing the laws on this. It's an EU law, so I expect Brexit will enable the bikes to go close to light speed.

I do manage to sometimes go on longer rides on normal bikes though...
    I have not unlocked the assist cut-off, I can't see an option on the app.

Laws here are max 500watts, 35kph, have to at least pretend to pedal.

I'm using it as you say, more to replace some car journeys than anything. I've still got regular bikes for actual cycling
  • freddymercurystwin 18 Oct 2020 22:16:46 2,257 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've looked at the VanMoofs before, very slick, I'd just be worried that with an completely unique setup any problems will leave very few choices with respect to whom to get it fixed by but they're right up my street. I'm gonna get me an electric road bike at some point, screw everyone else, you can eat my dust as I leave you behind on the bastard hills round here.
  • DaM 19 Oct 2020 10:28:44 17,488 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Laws here are max 500watts, 35kph, have to at least pretend to pedal.
    Go into the app, and hold down where it says "Speed Limit". It should remove the limit. On the S2 top speed is still a bit less that what I do on a normal bike, due to the limited gearing. Much more peddling required.
  • elstoof 28 Oct 2020 13:23:22 26,095 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Got my summer events booked up, alps alps alps and more alps baby
  • Psychotext 28 Oct 2020 14:19:09 67,615 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm supposed to be in the Dolomites again. Really doubt it'll happen.
  • askew 28 Oct 2020 20:16:07 21,971 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hopefully going to Girona in May. Managed to postpone hotel/transfer/bike hire from this year, but yeah…

I think I was most gutted about losing the booking at El Celler…
  • tadejpogacar 28 Oct 2020 20:46:35 327 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Naecunt's going anywhere.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.