• gamecat 22 Jun 2021 16:07:09 1,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ebike rental time
  • Dougs 22 Jun 2021 21:03:59 100,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:

Ebikes: like getting a Tesla, but without buying into the cult of Musk.
    Speaking of which, I discovered Swytch the other day.

https://www.swytchbike.com/

Converts your own bike to an ebike. I am quite tempted.
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Jun 2021 22:45:52 2,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Dougs I looked into this as an option before settling on a shitty electric Brompton, for the missus, mainly because we'd been fannying around looking for the right e-bike for her for about a year and ended up in a bike shop who had the right one in the right colour and in stock and I was worn down in the end.

But anyway it's quite an odd process, you have to register your interest and when they have enough interest they let you know you're eligible to be included in the next available batch, then you let them know what bike you have so you can then get an actual price, which in theory is heavily discounted as they know how many they're actually gonna sell, or something like that, needless to say I didn't actually get that far.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 22:53:24 22-06-2021
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Jul 2021 11:16:02 2,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's only just dawned on me, a month or so later that after I bought the bullet and spent an absurd amount of dosh on my wife's crappy electric Brompton, that I can now pretty much justify getting an electric road bike for myself, the Ribbles are looking pretty fine at the moment, even with their very long lead times, they seem to have finally come of age where they don't look like e-bikes any more and their 24 months interest free option is also in their favour.
  • Dougs 1 Jul 2021 13:03:26 100,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    They do look very nice indeed.
  • gamecat 1 Jul 2021 16:52:38 1,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Problem is Shimano stuff is just not obtainable right now, some of the Ribble bikes give you the option for Sram, which is slightly easier to get, but not an option on their e-bikes. You're talking 2022 for a lot of Shimano parts, meanwhile the frames are actually in stock.
  • Psychotext 1 Jul 2021 17:11:54 70,557 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I need to get an XTR cassette from somewhere, but it's not happening.

I'm told there's an ebay seller that does a very good rip off version, I need to look them up.
  • elstoof 1 Jul 2021 17:40:41 27,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Plenty of Shimeng floating about
  • elstoof 1 Jul 2021 19:04:58 27,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If youíre after a cassette I can definitely recommend M-M-myyyyyy Shimona

• freddymercurystwin 1 Jul 2021 21:42:01 2,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hmm, I'm getting mightily tempted by the Ribble road e-bikes, delivery in December is not really off-putting me. Sizewize, I am 5' 10 1/2".

They have the following size guides, Medium - 5' 7" - 5' 10" and then Large 5' 10" - 6' 1". Seeing as I'm in the SW and the chance sf actually test riding a Ribble is pretty slim I will have to take a chance I guess. Would I be right in thinking that a smaller bike is easier to make work/manipulate etc rather than a larger one? I feel my current ride is a little too large even though I went with the 'recommended' size (Cube Hyde). I really don't want to make that mistake again, especially as it will be such an immense purchase. Any thoughts/insights guys?
  • askew 1 Jul 2021 21:50:46 24,005 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yes
  • gamecat 2 Jul 2021 00:07:50 1,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    fwiw I went to their shop to try a M/L in the (new) gravel, medium was fine, large felt a bit big, Im a smidge under 6ft. M is almost certainly your size.
  • boo 3 Jul 2021 16:44:43 13,883 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gents. What's a reasonable weight limit for a road bike? I'm 6' 1", and 18.5st / 259lb / 117kg, which, according to some sources, is at the upper limit of what a frame and wheels can be expected to put up with.

I'm still riding my Specialized Sirrus that's about 7 years old and I haven't had any problems. I'm guessing my best bet will be to lose some weight before looking at a road bike, but if and when the time comes, what am I looking for if I want to prioritise comfort over speed? I'm fully expecting to have to change the saddle, but in terms of geometry I'm guessing something labelled 'endurance' or 'sportive' might be the preferable option?

Also, any recommendations for decent bike shops in or around North London? I went to Evans for the Sirrus, but I'd much prefer to support an independent.

Cheers!
  • TheSaint 3 Jul 2021 17:42:33 20,922 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I canít help with the weight questions but Specialized have a store in Ruislip.
  • elstoof 3 Jul 2021 18:12:09 27,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Youíll be hard pushed to find a road bike at the moment, my friend owns a shop in Muswell Hill and deals with Trek - theyíve been told no new road bikes til 2022.

As for weight, itís not the bike so much as the wheels which will have the weight limits, this varies between brands and wheelsets. A bike shop will steer you the right way

Edited by elstoof at 18:17:19 03-07-2021
  • X201 3 Jul 2021 18:47:34 22,082 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If your budget can stretch to a custom frame, have a look at Chickenís Frame Emporium.
    Heíll build you a frame that suits your needs and heís a bloody nice bloke too
  • boo 3 Jul 2021 19:48:36 13,883 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cheers, all. Lack of bikes will save me some cash. Good to know about the Ruislip shop, and X201 - I wouldn't know where to start with a custom build. Think I'll stick to 'off the shelf' until I'm a svelte (svelte-ish) 13st!
  • gamecat 3 Jul 2021 20:17:21 1,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You should be fine in all honesty, Trek rate thei bikes generally to 125kg, you'd be on the limit but there will be a pretty hefty safety factor on that. If you are worried I'd look at some handbuilt wheels with a high spoke count, will be a lot cheaper than a custom frame.
  • Vortex808 3 Jul 2021 20:18:31 15,495 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having mostly been garmin for my running shit, I got one of the updated wahoo elemnt bolt's for my road bike last week and was out today for the first time with it. Went for it having got one of their hr monitors earlier in the year for my wattbike sessions.

It's a nice bit of kit, a definite upgrade on my rather old wireless cateye computer (about 15yrs old!). Didn't use the gps navigation, but look forward to trying it out in due course.
  • Decks 4 Jul 2021 08:50:05 30,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was actually just going to buy a handlebar mount for my phone this week, are there any advantages to getting a purpose built thing?
  • Trafford 4 Jul 2021 09:02:11 9,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I once hit some cobbles at speed going along the Bridgewater canal. My Garmin Oregon managed to dislodge itself from the standard mount and bounced into the murky water.
    I'd only just bought it so went in to retrieve it.
    Found it floating about a foot from the bottom along with dozens of wine bottles. Felt like a right weirdo as there was family's taking a stroll while I went diving.
    10/10 still works perfectly.
    2/10 felt ill for a week .
  • elstoof 4 Jul 2021 09:09:57 27,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A phone with the screen on and GPS services running wonít last long on the battery. Probably run out just before you find yourself in a ditch in need of assistance
  • Decks 4 Jul 2021 09:22:53 30,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I use the GPS all the time and the battery is fine, driven 4-5 hours with it and still had plenty of charge.
  • elstoof 4 Jul 2021 09:45:25 27,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Crack on with the phone then, thereís not much a bike computer can do that a phone canít. I use my iphone on my motorbike with the TomTom app, forgot the cable once and barely got two hours, while my Garmin gives 20 odd hours cycling in standard mode
  • freddymercurystwin 4 Jul 2021 09:54:26 2,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I do have a phone mount for the bike but I only use it infrequently if I'm taking an unfamiliar route and pootling along with the sprogs or wife and that'd be mainly traffic free, the prospect of charging around with my phone on the handlebars when I'm on my own and it's certain death in the balance should I come off or have a scrape fills me with fear. That said otherwise it's just in my pocket, which I suppose may not be any safer if I ever have an incident. I once found out the hard way that carrying a phone around on a trip out when low on charge can be a bad idea, car breakdown, middle of the night, middle of nowhere.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 09:59:33 04-07-2021
  • askew 4 Jul 2021 10:01:38 24,005 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good cycling in the New Forest?
  • Psychotext 4 Jul 2021 11:25:02 70,557 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wouldn't use my phone simply because I crash too much, and I really wouldn't like to be in a position where I've had a bad spill and smashed up my phone at the same time.
  • Immaterial 5 Jul 2021 13:34:14 2,621 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @askew Depends what you're after. Extreme downhill MTB? No. Lots of Gravel and some nice CX stuff? yes, and although the forest bye-laws don't allow for exploration of single-track, there is a LOT of nice flowing singletrack around. Roads are fairly busy (and will get much busier in the summer).

edit: Don't do the Wiggle sportif, as the forest inhabitants are shy, and startle easily.

Edited by Immaterial at 13:36:04 05-07-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.